PDA

View Full Version : Best oil/filter for marine SBC?

Riley
06-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what all of you think is the best oil and filter combination for the marine sbc. My new boat, although a "non-Donzi", does have a carbed 350 Mag/Alpha powerplant. I've always just used Mercruiser oil and filters in the past, but since this boat is long out of warranty, I'm willing to experiment a bit.

So, let's here what you think the best brand of oil and filter you recommend, as well as viscosity. Any thoughts you hay have on synthetics is welcome, as well.

I've always been amazed and impressed with the amount of knowledge and friendly members to be found on this board. I hope I can still hang out and ask the occasional question, even though I'm on a "Donzi hiatus"! Thanks in advance for your replies.....Chris

HyperDonzi
06-30-2003, 12:00 PM
If there is a lot of hours on the motor, you will not want to switch to synthetic oils now. Dont know anything about different filters, we always use the Mercruiser oil filter, good luck.

Tommy

MOP
06-30-2003, 05:10 PM
My 2 cents No1 K&N or No2 Mobil 1 I feel are about the best, I change about every 10-12 hours and use the Fram K2 Go Figure! WIX makes the majority of the filters for many brand names. Griz is the guy to ask he has done extensive research, he will come up with the best answer.

Jamesbon
06-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I've always ran straight 30 wt, as far as a brand, whatever is cheapest at the moment eek! ...no problems. ( well, no oil related problems :rolleyes: )

On my SBC's, I ALWAYS used the truck filter, they're longer and have more filtering area and capacity.

Hope this helps!

My $.02!

Donzigo
07-01-2003, 01:26 PM
Poodle, you're killing me, man..........I'm on the floor laughing. I got the Oil & Filter thing; but, I got to know the gas tank thing.........what? Matty, tell me........what? :D :D :D

FYI, I use 40 weight, and any brand name filter will do for me. Jamesbon, you "oil slut", you'll do it with anybody. So, in this heat, why don't you use 40 weight?

Tom Davis
07-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Amsoil & K&N :cool:

mattyboy
07-02-2003, 06:17 AM
wink :D :)

matty