PDA

View Full Version : donzi 28 sportsman

donzi28
06-09-2002, 07:49 PM
where are all the owners of these boats? The registry has several listed , but it seems there is not enough interest in these fine hulls. Let's hear about some projects, restorations, pictures etc. I am tired of reading about 16 foot donzis. Lets talk about the big donzi! some of us boat in the atlantic ocean, not in ponds. :mad:

ClassicRazorback
06-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Wow!!

Tell us something cool about your boat.

Chris,
Pond Boater

boldts
06-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Donzi28,

Since you brought it up, I went out to the registry listings to see if I could see a picture of this Donzi model. Plenty of pics of the new ZX models, but late 60's 28 footers, none to be found. Post a picture of yours if you can. It might get a few folks interested in the boat if they could see what one looks like.

BTW, I'm a pond boater with a 22' Classic. I took my former 18' Classic to the ocean once. How do you like having to clean that salt mess off everything after a day on the ocean? Sorry, but my 22 will not see salt water as long as I own her. She's fresh water only and the electrical system along with the beautiful chrome pieces on her will be thankful. I'm sure I just opened myself up for a ton of criticism from the salt water boaters, but fresh water sure is easier on the boat!

Formula Jr
06-10-2002, 05:07 AM
Well, there were only about 75 made. The ones I have seen, were shot. And some of the running ones left have been mangled as center consoles /w OBs beyond any sensible restoration. Also economy of scale is working against anyone restoring one of these. I don't know why all the ones I've seen are beat, but they are, and would need more money than god has to bring them back. There is just no market for a $60K+ 28 foot, 25 year old boat that was spartan to begin with and run in salt. Given the choice of restoring a Sportsman 28 or a Widow or Z boat, the later make alot more sense. The Vee Drives and the replacement of the deck core and soles just kill you on a 28' restore. And you will get upside down on the boat.

Everyone runs where they are comfortable. If its a pond, so be it - 16's are more fun than a bath tub full of otters.

Formula Jr
06-10-2002, 05:54 AM
A. I don't.

B. A 31 Bertram has a ready market. They were straight in-boards and the name is MORE recognizable with 4700 made, than Donzi as a quality boat. There are no 31's left to be restored. But the same can not be said for the 28 Donzi's that had such a short 7 year run. They rot in the bone lots.... there's just too much to do.....And no market afterwards. You can't sell a restore Donzi 28 for 80K.
You can sell a restore 31 Bertram for 80K.

falcon
06-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Bertram made about 1900 31's.

Concerning restored 28's ---i definately think you could sell a restored one for 80K---with bayliners and other bubble deck boats going for 150K new---i am sure there is a market for a few restored 28's. Lets face it, if only 80 boats were originally made---you not going to be able to flood market with restored boats.there has to be 10-20 people out there that would pay 80K for a restored boat.

Dalelama
06-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Bolts!

The ORIGIONAL Donzi line was designed for running (FAST) in and around Biscayne Bay, and surrounding waters, in sunny South Florida....
sometimes they were taken out in the Everglades, but alligators are hell on outdrives!

Last time I checked (and the Poodle will agree) Biscayne Bay is very, very salty..... :)

Dunno about chrome... but stainless steel will do a good job of eliminating corrosion (if kept clean)... as I recall... you were parked next to the Minx in Sarasota? Why the change of heart?

We'll have to debate the salt/fresh topic over a bunch of drinks at the next gathering! :)

RedDog
06-10-2002, 03:21 PM
FJ - you guys in Oregon must have all the fun. I can't quit smiling over "... more fun than a bath tub full of otters" :D

boldts
06-10-2002, 07:36 PM
I knew this was going to happen. I should have just kept my thoughts to myself! Those of you who know me, I hate to miss any Donzi gathering including the Seadog's get togethers. Truthfully, the only reason I may not be in Sarasota this year is because I want to save some vacation time to carry over to next year so I can make the trek to Lake George in New York. I'm also hoping a gathering at Lake Tahoe comes together. I enjoy traveling and especially if I can include taking my Donzi with me. Many of my Donzi friends enjoy boating in salt water every weekend. Let me give you my plus and minuses that I experienced last year.

PLUSES
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wonderful Location
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wonderful People
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great Food and Drink
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Opportunity to run a 18' Classic in water rarely experienced. I love flying the boat. Lake Erie is one of my favorite fresh water lakes because of this!

MINUSES
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Salt is terrible for any electric's. My Volvo drive tilt stopped working and once home, I found a small amount of salt on the contact.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Steel trailers and salt don't play well together.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Even my truck doesn't like the stuff. My trailer light plug got salt water in it and it literally melted the plug and the connections in it. This affected even the cruise control of the truck somehow. Nothing like driving 18 hours with no cruise.

In closing and I've already said to much, Sarasota was one of the best weekends I spent on my Donzi. All the good far outweighed the trouble I had afterwards. Would salt water keep me from visiting VA, NJ, MD or any other ocean coast including the West coast? No way! Especially if the Donzi is in tow behind me. I will how-ever find a fork-lift to lift the Donzi off the trailer next time! Any time spent cleaning my Donzi is time I love to spend. It's like giving your child a bath.

Back to the subject of 28' Donzi's, didn't the Weavers just buy a 28? :)

CDMA
06-10-2002, 10:14 PM
While I do understand the no salt arguement... Don built these things for the ocean. While going to Cumberland and Lake George were awesome experiences nothing has quite met the level of enjoyment and excitement the real sea coast has given me. As Poddle says...it is only a boat.

Chris

Stix Magill
06-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Donzi28,

I would love to see some pics of your 28. I have a little pond hopper, but I've always been curious about them big'uns ya'll got in tha ocean!

I would love to end up with a 24 El Pescador one day. It's no 28 footer, but a cool obscure Donzi, none the less. Lets see if anyone has one of these!?

Scott Pearson
06-11-2002, 06:14 AM
I posted a topic about this a few weeks ago....

Any whooo....I found one. And yes its ALL orig. and not cut! Orig. motors and V-Drives. I can get the boat for about $6,000. Still kicking it around. And yes I have alot of Pic. About 74 or so that I took of this boat.

Problem with the 28 is you need permits in some states to trailer anything with a 10 foot beam.

There was also less then 80 made. More like 50-55 or so.

(NJ)Scott

GEOO
06-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Scott,
Good point about trailering. Half of the fun owning a Donzi is going to the events. The other 50% split; 25% working on them and 25% running them. GEOO