PDA

View Full Version : ? 4 Mil Av Mechanics.

Formula Jr
06-09-2002, 03:45 PM
I had heard this years ago from an aircraft carrier flight machanic, that during the Vietman era, they would use Milk of Magnesium as an anti-seizing compound for Alloy parts. Is this true, or was he pulling my leg?

Rootsy
06-09-2002, 09:07 PM
nope not a myth, standard practice for my pencil heaters in my welding plates and dieheads which run anywhere from 300 - 600 F. the milk dries to a powder which stays between the disimiliar metals eliminating corrosion and seizing... don't use it liberally upon installation and you might as well give up all hope of removing them someday... especially those in a blind hole... sooo in conclusion, i'd have to say it definitely works...

Formula Jr
06-10-2002, 03:13 AM
Thanks for confirmation, figured he was tell the truth.

" don't use it liberally upon installation and you might as well give up all hope of removing them someday... especially those in a blind hole...

-------- oooooohhhh nnooooooo. frown

Rootsy
06-10-2002, 07:11 AM
how bout nuclear grade never-seize? it's some gooooood stuff...

MOP
06-10-2002, 07:39 AM
What about all the readily available and normaly used stuff all of have been using for years. Any bolt removed gets wire wheeled or relpaced every single hole get a tap run in it and the absolute best thing in Salt is OMC or Merc gasket compound. I ran the service shop for a high and dry in salt, I still get my old timers coming to me. And stuff I put together many years before still comes apart. When dealing with Salt you must coat all surfaces and threads. Another very commonly over looked items is guys that build a small block Chevy do not carefully coat both the bolts and the block threads when they put the heads on and ruin the block, A local built up a very nice running 383 1-1/2 season later he thought he blew a head gasket. Asked for my help, when we got it apart the block was ruined would not hold a Heli coil, he learned a very expensive and time consuming lesson. You guys have to learn there are tried and true things that work and will save you grief in the long run. My final comment GREASE SUCKS! on prop shafts it will disapear in time, if you paint up the sfaft and spacers that expensive prop will always come off. Granted if you change often the grease is fine, I will always put up with the little extra mess so I have no grief.

Forrest
06-10-2002, 08:41 AM
I second using OMC gasket sealer (or the like) on clean threads in blind holes for anything that goes in salt water.

Rootsy
06-10-2002, 09:51 AM
my regular course of action and rule of thumb, blue loctite on all fasteners NOT in contact with water or extreme heat. A quality thread sealant for headbolts and such contacting coolant, high temperature never-seize for any fastener in a heated area such as exhaust bolts or where you have steel, etc in contact with aluminum. This works well for me and always has, auto, farm or boat. My marine stuff consists of pretty much all stainless external fasteners to help eliminate redox corrosion as much as possible. When assembling anything internally i always apply ARP thread lubricant for what it is worth besides achieving accurate and repeatable torque on threads. As for grease.. Merc 2-4-C Religiously, except on input and prop shaft splines then it is Merc spline grease (the blue stuff). Prop shafts and input splines get greased once per year with sterndrive maintenance. again it's worked without issue so i cannot complain, but to each their own for what works! and ummm i cannot speak for saltwater... for i reside in the land of endless freshwater :D

MOP
06-10-2002, 06:12 PM
SALT SALT!! Sorry I do get carried away, the gents in fresh water really do not know how lucky they are. I am considerd Nut Squad about about preping everything I touch, after a few years of bloody knuckles and many tanks of gas for the Blue Wrench you get careful. I sure know the difference with fresh, my buddie has his own island up on the St. Lawrence and saves some boat work for when I come up, how sweet it is to get things apart after a few years in fresh with no prep work. Anyway I am out here with alot of the answers to get Salt stuff apart if stuck and many tried and true ways to keep it from happening. Fell free to Mail me with questions.