PDA

View Full Version : Z21 Windshield

Jim
08-05-2002, 08:19 AM
I ended up breaking my windshield yesterday and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a new one. I only need the front Plexiglas piece but I have a feeling that I will have a problem just finding that. Does anyone know who the manufacturer was; I'm hoping I don't have to replace it with some type of aftermarket product.

OK, so you want to hear how I busted the windshield. We finally got out camping for the first time in 2 years, found some sisters to watch the triplets. The older Z21's only have a little spot right behind the cup holder that you can step on which becomes very slippery when wet.
I pushed off the beach on Sunday morning and after my wife and son climbed over the windshield I went to do the same, my right foot slipped as soon as I put my weight on it and my ass landed right on the Plexiglas. Luckily I bounced far enough away from the boat that my head didn't hit and I was in 3 to 4 feet of water so it was a pretty soft landing. It actually punched a piece of the Plexiglas right out of the corner of the windshield. Did my best not to let it ruin the day but I was still pretty upset with myself.

Jim
08-05-2002, 08:31 AM
I forgot to mention that she's a 1988.

Donzigo
08-05-2002, 11:16 AM
I have an 1987 Z-25 & 1989 Z-33. I asked Dick Genth (RIP),many years ago where these windsheilds were made. He said that it was a company in Bradenton called: STRATOS (not affiliated with the boat company, Stratos). He said: "Don't break one, they're expensive!" STRATOS is no longer in business. Ok, so a lot of good that does for you.

But, I have found, here in St. Petersburg, a company called:

American Plastic Supply & Manufacturing Inc.
4231 112th Terrace North
Clearwater, Florida 33762
727-573-0636
1-800-330-4273
Fax: 727-573-5503

They will build you a new windsheild, if you will send them the old one. FYI, the old windsheild must be used to make an exact duplicate. Remember, boats are not like cars. "Each one is a work of art." I am told that fiberglass and plastic is not a finite material to build things out of, so the factory sometimes has to make little slight changes to make everything fit, so there is no guarrantee that each plastic part is the exact duplicate of another. Any plastic company that can make a windsheild must have the facilities large enough to perhaps heat and bend the windsheild. I am sure that there are many companies that can do this. This just happens to be one. They make boat & Corvette parts sent to them from all over the United States and the Bahamas.

I hope this helps. Call me if I can help further. 727-867-7020 Richard Aaron (donzigo)

Jim
08-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanks Richard, I will try to give them a call
later today. I'm sure its going to be pretty expensive but I don't have much of a choice.
Its funny how after you break the windshield you notice how many boats have the three piece windshields with almost straight pieces of plexiglas.

Thanks again, Jim

Donzigo
08-05-2002, 03:54 PM
One more bit of trivia, since others might look at the windsheild post.American Palstics tells me that if a piece of plexeglass is bent on one direction only, it can be done with a heat gun; but, if the windsheild has bends in more than one direction as do some of the Donzi windsheilds that bend around the boat and then up, as my 1987 Dozni does, then it requires an oven to do this work. That oven must be big enought to handle whatever part is to be made. American Palstic has such an oven 8 feet wide. I'm goin gto have them make me a new windsheild for my Z-33. It's on the list. Others might speak to the technical explanation given to me by American. Just my 0.02$. wink

Lonzis Donzi
08-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Jim, please let us know how you make out because i too have a '88 z-21 and want new glass. thanx