PDA

View Full Version : Plug wire recommendation???`

Fonzi Donzi X18
08-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Engine is running sporadically in the midrange, figured its about time we gave the '78 a set of new wires :rolleyes:

What/who makes a good set of hi-po wires for a small block 350, no engine mods (and where can I get em/order).

Thanx,
JEFF

MOP
08-05-2002, 07:58 AM
Lots of choices here, good quality 8mm silicone is what you are after. It is a good idea to enlarge the wire holder as I have had miss fires in the metal ones due to sqaushing the wires into into the under sized holders.

Murphy
08-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi Jeff,

Plug wires may help but are rarely a problem in marine engines since operating temps in the engine compartment rarely break them down. Any aftermarker silicone will do. I use Bosch since they use a stainless conductor (others may also, I really don't know). But the list of possibilities for your problem certainly doesn't end there. Things to check include:
Plugs, rotor & cap, fuel filter, water seperating filter, timing, for starters. If the engine is original, the distributor drive gear could be getting worn in which case it can throw off your timing also. The carburetor is another possibility. May be time for a cleaning and rebuild. Good luck!

Murph

Forrest
08-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Magnecor (http://www.magnecor.com/) makes the best ignition wires by far, but you pay big bucks for them. Check out their wesite. They have loads of good info on ignition wires in general.

MOP
08-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Forrest BLESS YOU!
I have change out all my ignition stuff on the Dodge, still had slight intermitant miss the Magnacor site had a re-route of the spark wires that I am going to try today.

MOP
08-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks did work fine! On the way home from work no more mild surge at moderate off throttle speeds. Took about ten minutes to do. By the way the mod is for alot of Jeep and Dodge products.

Moody Blu'
08-05-2002, 10:51 PM
the ford racing wires use stainless too and there 9mm

what ever you do stay away from accel wires
ive had bad experiences with accel...