PDA

View Full Version : GPS my 22zx today

Donzi22zx
08-04-2002, 10:05 PM
I went out today and bought myself a Garmine GPS 5 from West Marine. The speedometer reads 78mph at WOT, but the GPS says 69.5 mph. I was kinda disapoinated with this speed and want it to go faster. I had a full tank of gas and was going into the wind in light chop. I want to try a different prop, any ideas, or maybe a set of CMI headers. I already have the K&N air filter and removed the factor mufflers. The difference between GPS and the speedometer is amazing.
Thanks Bill
99 22zx 454mag EFI
Bravo 1 / 1:50
Mirage 23p prop

Greg K
08-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Quoting Bill from July 30th..
"I have added new exhaust tips without mufflers, and a K&N air filter, plus gauge bezels. The boat has run 76.8 on GPS so far."

Quote of Frank C.
"Please don't take me the wrong way but I have so much knowledge with the 22 ZX,HP to speed prop sizeing that the 385 h/p will take the 22 ZX with a 23 pitch prop to 66mph maybe 67 on a good day."

Frank was pretty much right on..

Stix Magill
08-04-2002, 11:05 PM
We feel your pain..... Not! I would love to see high 60's in my Donzi. An extra 5 or 6 mph will cost you big bucks.
At least now you really know your speed.
Be happy!

HP 600SC
08-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Sorry the hear that.....I did not think that
the previous post could be correct.

There are alot of us here (including myself)that will do the math and speak there mind if the numbers dont add up. Thats a good thing.

I respect your honesty....at this point.
Give him a break guy's...he is a newbie.

I think we will hear the same story from the
2002 18 Scorpion #1. The math just does not add up.

There is ALWAYS someone else faster, bigger, better, newer, cooler....ect.

Doug G
08-05-2002, 10:56 AM
You guys run speed I can only dream about in my 23 Ragazza...just a thought, is the GPS set for miles per hour or knots per hour. 69.5 KPH x 1.15 = about 80 MPH

Scubado
08-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear that you are not where you want to be speed wise. I thought I was buying a 70mph boat when I bought mine. Sounds like you have one, enjoy it! I'm not sure if you're going to find much speed gain with the headers, I think the stock set up breaths pretty well. But if you are going to head down the road of building horsepower, I think the headers would be a great place to start. I belive there is a board member who works with Stainless Marine. An awsome product in my opinion. What did you have to do to remove the factory mufflers? Did you buy new exhaust tips or just cut them out of the old ones?

I'd love to see a photo of your boat if you have any.

Tidbart
08-05-2002, 07:18 PM
You could tell your friends that because of the impending invasion of Iraq the government has increased the inherent error in the gps systems and that you are really in the seventies. Let them prove you wrong. hehe

Bob

BigGrizzly
08-05-2002, 08:53 PM
This is a information board. This is what started the board in the first place. Accurate information is a necessity not just a want. Misinformation cost money and time Some of us work hard to add 1 MPH of speed. GPS is the only tool that is equal and can be had by all. When sombody asks for a GPS reading and you don't have it-say so. I have yet to see a speedo that is accurate throuout the whole range, some arn't ever right. None but the GPS. Not Norscog, Gaffrig, nor Keller. AS everyone on this board knows this is a very important tool to me.
Tidbit I can argue that point the deviation has been gone for over a year and speed was never a part of it.

Randy

Tomahawk
08-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Bill - Tidbit has a good "tongue-in-cheek" idea for you but really, 69.5 is very good for your rig. You'll still be faster than 90% of the boats you are likely to see. You're doing just fine so just go forth and enjoy your boat.
Bob - looking forward to seeing you and Rayna at Eufaula. First beer is on me!

Tidbart
08-06-2002, 06:04 AM
Randy,
I was just joking. That is what the "hehe" at the end was to imply. I use the gps myself.
I don't think that anyone on the board thinks their speedo is overly accurate.

Bob

pmreed
08-06-2002, 07:04 AM
I can only use GPS. I've got a broken, plastic pick-up that kicks up at about 40 mph and a speedo that consequently reads 0. Tidbit and I hit 70 mph on the GPS Sunday in my 22' Classic with a full tank of gas. I think there was a little bit more there, but my lake was too short to play with the trim and tabs too much and going fast wasn't what we were out for.

Phil

Moody Blu'
08-06-2002, 11:04 AM
I was wondering how you had such a high speed with no pro charger