PDA

View Full Version : Cleaver props

riverrat
06-08-2002, 11:27 AM
maybe HP500 or someone else can tell me about cleaver props on a donzi '18. I'm useing a 25" mirage plus on my '18 & thought maybe I could get more speed from a cleaver style prop in maybe a 27" or larger size. I've got the 300hp 350 mag mpi. the boat works well on the prop I have but, well,you know .... :D speed! speed! speed! :D :D :D

boldts
06-08-2002, 12:53 PM
RR,
If I remember my prop lessons 101, a Clever is meant to be run in a ventilated condition. Meaning both in the water and out at the same time. I've also been told that a Clever is the wrong prop for a Donzi because it causes transom lift rather than bow lift. That transom lift will also cause more than normal chine walking characteristics at the upper speeds.

Had a friend who had one of these props on a 18' Classic with the 350 and a TRS outdrive. That prop had no slippage at all, but once you got over 65 MPH there was the chine walk problem which was corrected by bringing the trim back down a bit. How-ever, no additional speed was gained then because you were running the prop out of it's intended use characteristics.

Just thought I would give you the little bit I've heard about this type of prop. How-ever, HP500 works testing boats, I would take his advice and run with it! :)

Last Tango
06-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Riverrat,
Before to try the expense and disappointment of a cleaver prop try this - Mirage 23 Plus.
I have posted recently in several threads about my recent experience with prop testing. I have a 2001 Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPI.
Short answers:
- My boat came with a Mirage 25 Plus but couldn't pull it to max RPM. 4500 RPM was max, engine good for 5250 RPM.
- I backed it down to a Mirage 23 Plus. RPMs went up to 5000. Speed increased dramatically, to over 70MPH.
- Played for a year using that prop, then was offered several others to try:
Bravo 1 24 4-blade. Too much prop again, lower RPM, lower speed.
Bravo 1 22 4-blade. Not enough prop. Engine hit rev limiter early and often. Speed dropped substantially.
Returned to Mirage 23 Plus 3-blade, no fancy cuts, shaves,or grinds. Best top speed and RPM combination. I'm sticking to that prop. Boat back over 70 MPH, and RPM max's at 5100, so the Rev limiter doesn't come into play at WOT.
I have 25 more stock horsepower than your 350. I also have a nice new set of EMI Thunder exhaust manifolds and pipes. I run the exhausts straight through the hull as delivered, and the tips are the factory original Corsa's and are baffled to reduce noise over all. An extremely comfortable yet very fast stock combination, with a sweet sound. And legal in all 50 States.
Mark :cool:

riverrat
06-09-2002, 06:06 AM
thanks ya'll. still waiting on ted to reply. My boat came with a 23" mirage plus (kinda) long story.. had to expose the dealer but I got it. anyway the 23 worked good but hit the rev limiter.so I had it worked to a a 25" & it works best.I also have a lab 25" (thanks Ted) but I like the reworked 23 the best.

thanks for reply,sd :D :D :D