PDA

View Full Version : New twist on the old tilt

David Ochs
08-04-2002, 11:16 AM
The old tilt setup on the 250 with it's multitude of relays and switches is going to get reconfigured. I've decided that since the motor and mechanism work fine, to simply bypass the existing relays and such. My plan is to replace them with two(relays), one for up and one for down. I'll miss having limit shutoff. But it's easy to know when those limits are reached anyway. The expense of replacing original stuff is expensive and I think this would be simple and foolproof. There's not many of us left with "tilt only" Volvos, has anyone dealt with this?

MOP
08-04-2002, 12:02 PM
I have done a few using cheap starter solinoids. They work fine and last forever. I've seen guys go right from the switch without relays, not a good thing motor runs slow and gets hotter not enough juice.

Ralph Savarese
08-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Dave,
Get rid of all that old troublsome crap!
I set mine up with a double through momentary toggle switch from Radio Shack I installed it through the dash no relays needed. If you get a 20 amp switch works great! you need to get a 6 prong switch you power and ground the middle ones and cross the ground and power leads out for up and down .You don't have to worry about total up and doun position because you will hear it strain, and it has a slip clutch built in if it does .
Ralph

MOP
08-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Ralph you probably used new heavier wire that does take care of the voltage drop that gets the motors hot.

Ralph Savarese
08-04-2002, 08:36 PM
I used 12 guage wire and only had to run two wires to the motor no big deal.
Ralph

Donzified
08-04-2002, 09:50 PM
I too have done away with relays.As far as limits just watch your volt guage it will spike at the limits.I have at least 4 seasons on the set up and use it every day the boat goes out.