PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready to get her wet

clayman
06-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Hello everybody, Sorry I haven't posted for a while. But my computer went to heaven, or hell actually. and I haven't been able to get on the net. But the good news is I have been working full time, plus over time on the Donzi. It is painted, and the engine is back in , and I am working on the final little things that need to be done. I am hoping to get it running tomorrow, and work out the bugs. I installed a new mercury 4000 throttle today, its pretty nice. Well, I will post a bunch of pictures as soon as a get a new computer.(I am using Jennifers laptop for this post). I ordered a new dell last night, so I should be up by next weekend. Hey Jack, you should come over and help me dial this thing in! Call me.
James
407-963-3580

mattyboy
06-07-2002, 03:33 PM
sounds good,
good luck

Matt

Scott Pearson
06-07-2002, 07:43 PM
"DUDE....YOUR GETTING A DELL"

(NJ)Scott

harbormaster
06-08-2002, 04:08 AM
Scott Your killin me...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/dude.jpg

clayman
06-14-2002, 08:19 AM
Yes, I got my dell hooked up today, pretty sweet, pentium 4, 2.5gb processor, 512 ram, 80gb hd, 21" monitor, etc. anyway, on the donzi stuff. I took for the first ride yesterday, and guickly realized it wasn't getting any water as my exhaust hose started to smoke. seems when I trimmed the drive up it pulled the water hose off. The one thing I have learned from all of this is that nothing beats experience. I originally installed the engine last week. ran it ont the trailer, and there was this horrible clicky clack clickydee clack sound coming form the back end of the motor. I was convinced it was a rod or piston or something in the motor. My friend Tom disagreed, but I ended up pulling the motor, taking off the pan, and checking everything I could think of that might be loose , and making that noise. Didn't find anything obvious, so I put it back together, and ran it on the gound. (that is kind of neat) no weird noise. So reinstalled it, ran it, noise is there agian. I stick my hand into my new Stainless marine 4" tips with the internal flappers, which are beautiful by the way, and no more weird noise. It was the dam flappers clinging around. experience. Well, now that I have a computer , I will try and post some pictures asap
James

Charles
06-14-2002, 02:39 PM
I also have undertaken this type of project, I will be insalling a new GM 5.7 vortec this weekend. I bought a 87 21' to restore it has been going slow but will be nice when finished.

smoothie
06-14-2002, 02:52 PM
Clayman,
Yea,Lets see some pics of what you have formed out of fiberglass instead of clay :cool:

clayman
06-18-2002, 12:49 PM
I am having the boat gone over by a marine surveyor today so I can get insurance. But anyway, its getting real close to being done. Just a bunch of little stuff left to finish.
james http://donzi.net/photos/spiroffstickers31.jpg

clayman
06-18-2002, 10:01 PM
I have downloaded a bunch a photos to shutterfly .com. check them out at
Donzi photos (http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3014cba0532&notag=1)

Dr. Dan
06-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Really Looks Nice! :D Great Paint Scheme, I love the engine compartment, definitely a credit to all your hard work and effort to be sure! wink Can't wait to see it in person... :cool: ...Doc

CDMA
06-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Clayman,

Wonderful job. The pictures looks great. Can you tell us a little more about your boat and its set-up?

Chris

harbormaster
06-19-2002, 08:19 AM
James,

The boat looks awesome!
I especially like the way you detailed the engine compartment. Very Nice!

Forrest
06-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Nice!

CrackerJack
06-19-2002, 11:46 PM
James, Thanks for the tour. I saw this Donzi
before the restoration and seeing it now is really
impressive. You have done a great job.

ToonaFish
06-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Gorgeous boat!!! It's going to look beyond even 'Donzi cool' to have a black Donzi!

Bunches,

Celene 'thinking James and the Dell Dude were separated at birth'

clayman
06-20-2002, 09:03 AM
Hello, thanks for all the nice comments. I have been busting my ass on the old thing. It is now 98% done. I finished installing all of the new Accon pop-up cleats , one lifting cleat in the front( complete with new bracket and rod since the old one was totally rusted to almost nothing) and pop-up bow light. it looks very cool with all that stuff. the deck is smooth, and since I had removed the old side grab rail, it is really sleek. I also frenched in all of the hardware on the deck so it is really flush. I have a bunch more pictures (over 100) on my old computer that we are going to try and recover today with my computer geek. So I will add those to my slide show asap. Mad poodle, the milling was for the steering bezel. I am planning on going to full hydraulic steering in the future. So it did not want to mount the original Big-T oval bezel back onto my newly formed dash. Since the hyd. Helms are small and round, I didn't want to have to fill holes later. So since it is a two piece bezel both with a 45 degree angle on them it didn't work to well with just one. It was to angled against the dash, and the helm hit the underside of the deck. So, I milled about 20 degrees off of the round part of the bezel and it fits nice. While we are talking about steering, I also eliminated the s-bend in my exhaust by modifying the steering ram. I was able to rotate the ram 180 degrees while keeping the actuator the same. I had to fab a special bracket, but it allowed me to shoot 4" pipes almost straight out the back with no s-bend going under the steering ram. I have a bunch of pics that will explain it a little better. But that is something that others might be interested in doing. This also cleared the way for the external rams in the future by moving the tips up about five inches.
Anyway, I have rambled,
James

Stix Magill
06-20-2002, 09:18 AM
Clayman,
You amaze me. I am very impressed! I need to restore my Donzi, but just don't have the skills. :(
Let's see it on the water!

boxy
06-20-2002, 09:44 AM
James, your resto is amazing. I looked (pictures, and phone calls) at your boat before you bought it, and in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine it turning out that well. Apparently you artistry extends well beyond mud and a wheel.

smoothie
06-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey clayman/fiberglassman/machinistman/mechanicman

Very Nice!I like the air scoop on the engine hatch,Everything looks like new again!What did you do to the motor if I may ask wink

clayman
06-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Hey Guys, thanks for the compliments. I have worked very hard on the boat, it is a bit of an obsession. Anyway, I basically just cleaned up the engine. I tore it down, and it appeared to have been recently rebuilt. new pistons, rods, etc. so I put is back together with a new Performer intake, new Holley 600 marine, a pro billet MSD distibuter, MSD coil, MSD 6-marine ingition box, Stainless marine exhaust and tips, new steering pump and polished pulley. That is about it, a few other shining things, and I powdercoated everything I could. It runs real nice. I should have some pics of the boat on the water tomorrow if it dosen't rain all day.
James
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff43.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff44.jpg

Digger
06-24-2002, 07:38 AM
absolutely beautiful...

Rootsy
06-24-2002, 07:46 AM
man, you sure are gonna receive a lot of attention... hope you are ready wink

Forrest
06-24-2002, 10:25 AM
James, if you have any money left over for gas and a room, you should bring that baby to Eufaula IV.

Again, NICE!!!

clayman
06-24-2002, 03:07 PM
When is it?
Where is it?

Forrest
06-25-2002, 02:26 PM
James, here are the details of the 4th Annual Eufaula Donzi Get Together (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000091) held over the Labor Day weekend at George T. Bagby State Park in Southwest Georgia. It's a really nice place and there will be many Donzis, Donzi owners, and their guests from as far away as Texas, Ohio, and Miami.

Last Tango
06-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Clayman,
Check the Eufala IV thread under Events and Gatherings.
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

PS Your boat is completely and totally awesome. Bring it to Eufala, then clean it up to show at the Donzi factory event this fall.

clayman
06-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Sounds great guys, I am leaving in the morning for Ohio, then Michigan with the Donzi. I will be running the St.Clair river on the 4th July weekend. My folks have a cottage on Stag Island on the river. Any other Donzis on the river? Jennifer and I are pondering the Labor day event and for sure we are at the Donzi factory show.
James