PDA

View Full Version : volvo transom plate

David O
08-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Has anyone ever welded to the transom plate as a means to fill holes or voids left from corrosion? The local welders say not to but will try if I tell them to go ahead. One has totally refused. Most of my corrosion is where the cover plate bolts on to seal the hole where your exhaust would go if using thru the foot exhaust. It doesn’t look as though I will be able to seal that area unless I have a flat surface to seal the plate up against. I also have a few other locations where corrosion is deep and if it breaks through it will be below the water line and we all know what that will do.
Thanks in advance for advice
David

Gearhead99
08-03-2002, 05:03 PM
On my last Vovo I used West System epoxy with some thickner to repair some rust through holes.

Worked great.

MOP
08-03-2002, 06:27 PM
The epoxy does the job no question, but if you think you need another one check with Moody Blu. He is about to aquire a fresh water complete unit from RT so he may want to part with either his old one or maybe even the fresh water one.

David O
08-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Scott - The brass plug idea will work great for the about to be hole. Guess I will try the west epoxy on the area around the exhaust pass thru. Both methods hopefully will hold until I can see all black.
Still aiming for Eufaula. Word is Gene Schmidt has backed out and Bob Dawkins also is out. Just leaves Stuart and I and both our boats are not running. Stuarts out drive is still in pieces and my engine and out drive is in pieces.
Playing sure gets in the way of working on the boat.

MOP
08-04-2002, 12:07 PM
If you boat in salt brass and aluminum don't like each other. Try to get your hand on some aluminum plugs.

Gearhead99
08-04-2002, 02:41 PM
When you use the West. Be certain that you get all the corrosion out and anything loose out. Gouge it out and run a drill bit in there and move it around, like a Dentist does. This will make for a much better bond.

Also, thicken it to about peanut butter. Then it will stay on veritcal surfaces and in holes.

Forrest
08-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Hay David, if any of those guys who are backing out at Eufaula IV still hold rooms at the lodge, please get 'em in contact with me know or post it on the Eufaula thread under Events and Gatherings. There are still a few folks still looking for a room. We will miss Gene and Bob!

David O
08-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Forrest - No way I would turn the rooms loose. Right now there is one bed for sale to a non smoker. If Stuarts wife does not go then there will be another bed (i think they must sleep in seperate beds) for sale or one whole room. I will keep you and the site posted as I know more.
As for now the extra bed in my room is for sale 3 nights to a non smoker.
David