PDA

View Full Version : gas or ignition problem?

REB
08-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Need help..
My Donzi has a 454 mag with the spitfire ignition which has worked flawlessly and still may.My problem is intermittent.Somtimes while the boat is at cruising speed,it may hick-up once or twice and clear up.The bigger problem ia also intermittent, when coming out of the whole and reaching 3000 rpm, the boat will lose power and make a thumping noise until I back off the throttle and then it runs fine at lower speeds.These problems just started and seem to go away at random, then the boat runs great through all the ranges. Could this be water in the gas, dirty carb or ignition?
Thanks for your help
REB

Bad-Tat
08-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Reb,
Went through that for a year with my spitfire on my 16. Mine would drop a cylinder or two and sometimes quit at high speed. Had water in the cylinders a couple of times from that. 50 mph water coming up the back will do that even with good flappers. Did all the gas stuff, pump, filter, carb no good. It was somewhere in the ign. No OMC dealer bought the tester for that system and OMC at the time said no parts anyway. Now have a reg dist on it with no problems.

Gritz
08-03-2002, 10:29 AM
I had a simular problem 2 or 3 weeks ago except for the 3000 rpm thing. Turned out to be faulty kill switch.
Stan