PDA

View Full Version : Same ci, but different cylinder numbers

HyperDonzi
06-25-2003, 04:39 PM
What would have more power, a 350" V6 or the standard 350 V8. Assuming everything is equal, compression ratio, Carb CFM, etc, what would make the most power?

Thinking about this for a while I think it will be the V8 because less power is spent trying to compress more of a mixture at one time. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tommy

MOP
06-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Tommy you did not mention the bore and strokes which has a lot to do with it. Most inline 6's have a longer stroke and make a bunch of torque, I am not sure but I think the V's are close. Now if you compared straight 6's when I used to race I ran a 302 pushed out to 320 Jimmy with 5 carbs, head work, Shaeller 1/4 speed cam. I could for about a 1/3 of the track eat 327 chevy's but at the 1/2 point I think the guy in my trunk threw out an anchor. They would go over the line high 12's to low 13's and I would follow at 14+. Then I got pissed and built Lula Belle my 38 Chevy, I ran a 265 block balanced with a nice Giovani cam head work and Cook headers and last but not least a 471 with two small Carter 4 barrels. I finaly blew them off with low 11's. I ate rears for one season then went to a floater Ford. I know you youngsters look at this like history, that it was!

mikev
06-26-2003, 12:24 PM
more pistons give you more valve area which equal more flow so more power. that is why the little 3.0 engines in formula one racing are 10 cylinders.