PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 1 Outdrive Question

James Adcock
06-25-2003, 02:50 PM
My outdrive has a small weep(?) hole in the front of the gear housing. I had a small amount of what appeared to be gear lube leak out while pulling the gear case to replace the water pump. Do you think I have more problems than I hoped for? I have spent a few $$$ getting ready for summer but........I think I'm gonna cry. Oh Yeh! I forgot. Nothing $$$ can't solve:( Any ideas?
Thanks, Jamie

mikev
06-25-2003, 03:04 PM
is it a newer alpha drive and is the hole near the bottom on the very front of the drive if it is this would be the water pickup for your speedo and nothing to wory about

Trueser
06-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Was the drive oil full before you split the drive? was there any water in the lower half when you drained the oil? I would look at the seals and make sure there not leaking.What year is it and have the seals ever been replaced? You shouldnt get gear lube from there, only water!

Trueser

James Adcock
06-26-2003, 05:36 AM
MikeV, Thanks. I hope you are right. Got my manual and will check it out. True, Yes. The outdrive was full. No water at all. I have a 1983, 18 2+3 with the original engine and outdrive. Its in really nice shape but, I think the general maintenance was let go the last couple of years. I will do some more investigation today and let you know.
Thanks, Jamie

MR MAGOO
06-26-2003, 06:57 AM
If oil is leaking from the weep hole it means the oil seal thats located under the water pump housing has failed.

Dont worry, it`s an easy fix!

Kurt.

mikev
06-26-2003, 08:04 AM
if its an 83 it is not an alpha so there is no speedo pickup on it.