PDA

View Full Version : Curiousity Abounds !

James Adcock
08-02-2002, 06:59 PM
I gotta ask. What is a TRS outdrive? Who manufactures it? Are they tempermental,easy or hard to work on? How do they compare to other makes on the market? I realize everyone out there generally has a preference for what they own. I also read about certain "quirks"(?)of the different variaties avalible.
Thanks again, Jamie

James Adcock
08-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Thanks M.P.!, Asking because I have looked at a couple of boats with TRS drives on them. Knowlage in advance is good, especially when I'm looking to buy my first boat. Thanks, Jamie

AVickers
08-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Downside to them is that w/ the tranny, there's extra complexity, extra weight, and driving it costs you some power that's not going to the prop...

As for the drives, I hear they are bulletproof. Even after being submerged, you can dry them out, add oil and they'll run.

FASTEDDIE
08-05-2002, 03:23 AM
We here at Lake George have been told that parts are still available for the Borg Warner transmissions but not for the Merc transmissions.

Forrest
08-05-2002, 09:59 AM
The Merctrans for TRS weighs about 75 pounds complete with the mechanical shift kit. I know because I recently shipped one via UPS.

Rodger
08-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Some interesting info on the Merc Trans used on the TRS. It has some similarities to a Ford automatic trans. It can be upgraded by using some high performance clutches manufactured by Raybestos that are intended for a Ford automotive application. I had it done to mine when the clutches started slipping with my setup.

BigGrizzly
08-05-2002, 10:15 AM
Actually after having hopped up one with the help of Tom Huber and his more than knowlegable wife(she builds them when huber is real busy), so if you call them and a lady answers she knows more than most techs. I put in a 6 plat clutch pack which holds my 600+HP just fine. It really doesn't take that much power to move it. My boat goes just fine with it. I did blow the clutches out of it at Cumberland, but that was all. And it is a 1981 unit. Who knows what it has been through befor I got it.

Randy

Rodger
08-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Same deal with mine, about 600 HP, and the unit is 1978. For whatever it's worth though, I am carefull about launching the boat at too high a speed and then shocking everything on the re-entry.