PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Questions

James Adcock
08-02-2002, 06:16 PM
I would like to know if outdrives are interchangable. Like, Can an Alpha be upgraded to a Bravo? Volvo to a Alpha or Bravo? OMC to ? Thanks for you all's help. Jamie

MOP
08-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Yup it just takes $$. What are you running, it may be a perfectly good drive. There should be some good answers up here :p

James Adcock
08-02-2002, 08:07 PM
M.O.P., Thanks,I agree,All it takes is $$$.Does the transom need to modified to switch from one to another? Are there any that the bolt patterns will match each other? I am in the market for a boat and have been reading/studying what I can find. Basically for the time when it happens.I'm not particularly against anything. I am very fond of the classics though.Like most people,I would like to buy something that I can play with right away. Not a project. At least not yet. Thanks for your imput, Jamie

MOP
08-02-2002, 08:59 PM
I think you need to get close to a couple of boats then post some questions. There are some really good guys up here with alot of knowledge.

harbormaster
08-02-2002, 09:14 PM
MOP,
I disagree. Alot of times it is necessary to ask questions before you look at the boats. This is so you will have a better idea of what you are looking at. James, feel free to ask questions. Chris (CDMA) did a swap. Hey Chris, wanna answer his questions?

MOP
08-03-2002, 07:29 AM
Scot the reason for my answer is it would take alot of input from all the guys to get a intrechange list together for all the drives mentioned. If James get his list narrowed down to say a half dozen boats then the guys that have done the swaps can get him pointed in the right direstion.

mattyboy
08-03-2002, 07:54 AM
the only stupid question ,is the one that is not asked!!!

from what i know the volvo's are pretty much interchanable thru the 200 series with some minor transom work (drilling/filling)

the omc are unique to them selves but are strong and reliable drives.

the merc's alpha bravo and trs are good drives but the alpha is iffy in high hp or torque conditions, the trs i don't know too much about but i do know it needs a tranny, the bravo is strong but heavy like the volvos.

transom work will be needed when you change mfg brands, i believe there is and adaptor plate for volvo to alpha.

CDMA and Scott Pearson have done volvo to alpha conversion as part of a total restore on an 18.

go with your gut feeling when looking at a boat, and gather as much info as possible
Good Luck

Matt

HP 600SC
08-03-2002, 08:58 AM
OMC King Cobra transom cut out and bolt holes
are exactly the same as a Merc Alpha and Merc Bravo. Direct Bolt on swap!! I did it on my 18'
classic.
Ted M.

James Adcock
08-04-2002, 08:40 AM
Thank you all for your input! Yes,it would probably help if I was more specific on what I would like to purchase.I ask ahead of time because I have seen a couple of different outdrives installed on variying years of manufacture. From what I can tell so far, Volvo was the drive used then Merc(early),OMC and Merc again(updated models).If I'm incorrect please let me know.

MOP
08-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Some excellent input, has anyone changed a Cobra to King is that pattern the same? To me that is the ultimate off the shelf drive.

James Adcock
08-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks Folks! M.O.P., HP said that a OMC King Cobra has the same cutout and bolt pattern as the Alpha and Bravo drives. Are you havin' fun or is there a difference between the "Cobra and a King"? And what do you mean by the ultimate off the shelf drive? I thought OMC made the King Cobra. Sorry, I gotta ask. If your funnin' with me, thats OK too. Thanks, Jamie

ZZ
08-05-2002, 04:08 AM
Volvo sells an "upgradekit" for OMC Cobra to Volvo SX. It uses the same transomplate and fits without any major mods. The volvo SX is from the start a modified Coneclutchcobra that Volvo got then they bought the OMC outdrivedivision.

Rgds Lazze

MOP
08-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Boy am I happy to hear of the upgrade kit, not sure if I will ever do my drive in but if I do I will got to th SX the Maytag of drives. Thanks for the info.

jeff sjodin
11-07-2002, 10:16 PM
have a 1989 22Z with a 460 King Cobra. I am on my second drive in my first year. The first was my fault when I put it in the rocks, but the second just exploded when my dad was pulling me up on skies. We were in 20+ feet of water. I would like to know if the King Cobra can handle the big block power and I just had a poor rebuild? Should i fix the drive and sell it or should I stick by the King? What about this adapter to the Vovlo SX? I would love any information you can give me.

RickR
11-08-2002, 07:04 AM
The late model (mid 1989+) King Cobra can handle a big block. I've been told up to 650HP. Late models have a hump on top of the upper gearcase. Like all drives they require special tools and knowledge for a good rebuild.

I'm not sure about the early models.

Dr. Dan
11-08-2002, 07:21 AM
:D Jeff and others....Ours is a '93 22 Classic with a 454 King Cobra...our drive has been absolutely a solid performer! Jeff your 2nd King could have had some other internal issues you may not have been aware off...but I am here to tell ya the King Cobra is a very strong drive! We do not abuse it and I change impellers each season and keep the shafts greased/lubed and oils fresh! We may not be the fastest, but that is not related to the drive...as to horsepower limitations...my guess is it is good until you get in the upper 400 to 500 + Horsepower ranges...which we are currently no where near! wink The Kings have the "Grizzly Hump" on the top of the drive and look much more substantial then the regular "Cobras"...take a look at the new Volvo drives and you see the similarities right away...no complaints after 2 seasons of serious Donzi Rallies all over the country and well over 100 hours between the two seasons! :D James as far as looking at Donzis..it's always good to learn as much history of the boat in question as you can,upon close inpsection you can discern if it was used with care or abused...pay the money for an inspection/survey,or have someone "in the know", look at it with you to help evaluate the boats health! wink It's money well spent and it will pay off big time down stream(no pun intended,well maybe alittle :rolleyes: )Good Luck... :cool: Doc

Extreme Measures
11-08-2002, 11:42 AM
The Volvo bolt on drive that fits the King Cobra's will not handle the big HP stuff.They only suggest you go up to a small block (350).
Your Friends in Boating
:cool: Extreme Measures :cool:

kk89z33
11-09-2002, 06:54 PM
There were two King Cobras. The first one came out around 1987 or so. It was basically a cobra unit with a beefed up lower half. It was a dog clutch unit. You can tell one by not only its larger size, but also its slotted water pick ups. The later King was a cone clutch unit and had the hump talked about in a earlier post. Also, it had a unique transom bracket. It came out in around 1990. I can tell you from my experience that, the early King Cobra is a good drive. I have a 89 Z-33 with 380 hours, and they have served me well for 12 years. I see both Kings being able to handle big blocks. When I change the drive oil, I have virtually no metal on the magnets. This is a good sign!!! Having a fluid capacity of almost a gallon helps it stay cool too. Oh, and the Merc guys hate the fact that I can replace a water pump in about 15 minutes...Thats just my two cents!!!