PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl or Sunbrella Tonneau

banfield
09-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Hi Folks,
I am in need of a tonneau for my 1983 22' classic (with the frameless windshield). Bilt-Rite makes a beautiful tonneau in vinyl, but they don't have the right pattern for my windshield. I could get a locally made sunbrella tonneau that I'm sure would fit perfectly, but not look as snazzy.

My question is: If I use a vinyl tonneau cover and store my boat outside, will I end up with mildew problems? Would I not have these with a good sunbrella top?

Vinyl seems better at first since its pretty much waterproof... but its also humidity proof, perhaps making a hothouse inside... in this case, is the sunbrella a better tonneau material. The key here is that I store my boat in the water, without a roof over it. Next year I'm hoping to build a lift with a roof, but that might take another year for the funds to appear...

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, if I do go with Vinyl from Bilt-Rite, is anyone willing to send their early 22'classic (frameless windshield) tonneau cover to them for a while for them to copy it and make a pattern?

Thanks, Don Banfield

Sam
09-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Let it breathe ! Sunbrella itself will not leak if cared for properly. Generaly it's the seams that may leak but only a very small amount if anything.

Sam

Cuda
09-08-2003, 10:08 PM
banfield:

My question is: If I use a vinyl tonneau cover and store my boat outside, will I end up with mildew problems?

In a word, yes.

farmer tx
09-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Don, Does your windshield have the eyebrows?
If so I am sending mine to Bilt Rite this fall
to be used as a pattern. I had the same problem.

Mark

banfield
09-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Yep, mine has the eyebrows... hinged window sections about 6" high by about 18" long. They really do a great job of deflecting the wind without being too big.

So Farmer Tx, are you sending a top made locally to Bilt-Rite as a pattern for a vinyl one? Or is Bilt-Rite making you a Sunbrella one?

I take it from the other posts that Sunbrella is the way to go for my situation....

Thanks for the tips.

Don Banfield

RickR
09-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Sunbrella is the way to go. If you were looking a vinyl with a stripe, the stitching leaked on mine after a few years (non Bilt Rite)

BTW; Use "Lift the Dot" snaps so the cover does not come off while traveling. Make sure snaps are installed in a convienent direction :rolleyes:

Air 22
09-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Sunbrella...for sure wink I had a new one made for my 95' 22 Classic in June by a local upholstery guy who needed the original cover for the specs. If you can bring them your boat for the final specs..this makes putting the snaps on easier and more important accurate wink Good luck! :D

farmer tx
09-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Banfield,
I have both a sunbrella and a vinyl original Bilt Rite. I've only had the vinyl one on twice, it tends to trap moisture under it.web page (http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhornecpcover01.jpg)<click here.

Mark

Cuda
09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I just had a cockpit cover custom made for my 302 Formula a couple weeks ago with Sunbrella. It goes over the windshield. It cost $395.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffccover.jpg

knots2u
09-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Internal moisture can be a problem with vinyl, external moisture can be a problem with sunbrella. How about vinyl with vents?