PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of nosecones...

BUIZILLA
09-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Someone here might know this off the top of their head.

I need to buy 2 nosecones for a Gen I, Alpha 1 drive setup. I do NOT want water pickups in the cones. Just a weld-on cone/leading edge extension would be great.

Any idea's?

J

MOP
09-08-2003, 09:12 PM
I also would be interested on ideas about nose cones, it has been said they are of no value below a certain level of speed. But aren't better hydrodynamics better at any speed. CDMA where are you?

CDMA
09-08-2003, 09:14 PM
CDMA is designing a container ship...in the third person just for Cliff...

Chris

Way tired...

MOP
09-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Understand with going back to school and projects looming in the background you are whipped. When you are up to it would love to hear your input.

Rootsy
09-08-2003, 10:09 PM
If you do a search i believe this has been hashed out a few times in the last year or two... along with a nice dissertation by the one and only CDMA...

Tis true that the added chord length will help tracking and steering and help to eliminate the crab walking of the drive and straighten out the thrust somewhat... which helps stability... the nosecone will not do much for speed though really... unless you are in the high 70's + with the alpha and are experiencing blowout...

that said, getting to your question Jim,

bobs and hydromotive both offer nosecones... does land and sea also??? I SEE no apparent reason why you cannot add a nosecone and just epoxy the water pickups in and make it smooth... retaining the stock water pickups... the nosecones are basically epoxied on and then faired to the existing gearcase...

but then again i ahve never added one sooooo what do i know?

anyone else on this subject?

smoothie
09-09-2003, 07:28 AM
...I installed a hydromotive on my TRS,and yes you use epoxy,dont think you would want to weld on the gear case housing,no increase in speed but boat handles good and it looks cool.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/100-0054_img.jpg

BUIZILLA
09-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Smoothie, is yours just the nose piece or the one piece nose and leading edge style?

I know Bob tack welds his in 4 places, and then muds the blend. I want to retain the original water pickup holes, and just extend the leading edge and get a bullet nose as well.

J

CDMA
09-09-2003, 07:47 AM
I have been revising my thoughts on nosecones more and more. I think even if they aren't a speed gain the handling aspect is worth it in many of the classics that don't have them.

Chris

Arneson nose cone... hmmmm

MOP
09-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Chris I have read some up here on the site and quite a bit on other sites about the increase in handling but all say no increase in speed below say 70 just for argument sake. I was a pretty successful sail boat racer "Slow but fun Boats"! Fairing of surfaces, sharpening of water release surfaces on keels and rudders etc. made a lot of difference, to me any time you can reduce drag and increase water flow over a given area you have some gain. Take a boat that does 60 which is no where near any blow out, if you cone the drive will it now do 60+ a tad? And also inherit the good handling characteristics.

BUIZILLA
09-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Chris, I agree, thats why I am going to do this to both my boats. I noticed an overall better and more predictable handling scenario with the SS drive on the 20. I have the original Alpha on the Minx stripped for freshening now, and I need to get this done a.s.a.p.

J

smoothie
09-09-2003, 09:01 AM
B,heres the web site,mine is leading edge and cone.
http://www.hydromotive.com/nosecones.html

Cuda
09-09-2003, 09:35 AM
The alpha on my 20 Formula has a Bob's. I don't see any reason you cannot just fill in the LWP and use the standard.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffprop23.jpg

BUIZILLA
09-09-2003, 10:35 AM
I spoke to Bob's today, they have a solid bullet cone with extended leading edge, as well as a LWP nose. $235 installed and painted. I am going to send one bare housing over today and try this solid route first.

J

Cuda
09-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Let me know how it works out, I may take the alpha for the Minx there since you've scared me off from finding an SS. :)

MR MAGOO
09-09-2003, 06:16 PM
I`ve played the nose cone games and as far as my experience goes,....unless you are running middle 80`s they do nothing...I`ve installed them and had the boat go SLOWER..and as far as better handling in the corners, the last boat that I installed one would now blow out the prop in turns :confused: Gained nothing but bad manners in the corners.

...Last weekend, a buddy who was bent on installing one of these needless things on his 24 Outlaw actually LOST 2 mph over the standard Bravo unit.

been there, done that....my .02 :D

smoothie
09-09-2003, 07:56 PM
I have also heard that it will lift the stern alittle and depending on the shape of the nose cone will play with the trim on the outdrive,the hydro cone is shaped to correct these problems,mine runs fine in the corners and more stable going straight in choppy waters.

Rootsy
09-09-2003, 09:36 PM
the SS is a CLE (crescent leading edge) design.. the new sportmaster lower design is supposed to be an improvement over the cle case.

the bobs bigfoot nosecone actually did outperform the CLE case by 10 mph in a headsup outboard / hydrostream test...

the boys at the "outboard" board have some really good articles on the sportmaster and CLE cases...

boldts
09-09-2003, 10:04 PM
This is a Bravo1, not the Alpha, but I installed a Hydromotive nose cone last winter. My Classic is no where near high 70s or 80 MPH, but not only did I gain better handling, I gained an additional 1 MPH by adding the cone. Boat went from 68.7 GPS to 69.8 GPS.

In researching a nose cone, I was told that the pointed cone will pull the transome down as the drive is trimmed out. Thus causing a loss in speed. The Hydromotive is a wedge type cone that does nothing but allow the water flow to the prop to be less turbulant.

I do not think the speed gain in my case was from adding the cone, but from the added trim that I can now run and still get clean water to the prop. Thus, making the prop more efficent. Like Smoothie said, I like the way it looks also. Looks fast sitting on the trailer :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboldtdrive0001.jpg

BigGrizzly
09-10-2003, 05:25 PM
I have them on three drived . a270 volvo, a 290 volvo and a TRS. in all cases blowout is less and handling is better. None have lost speed but the 18 lost a few Rpms but speed was a littel higher maby 1-2 mph at mid 60's. Tracking is better on all boats. Would I do it a gain, the answer is yes.