PDA

View Full Version : WHAT HAPPENED?

KennyD
08-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Hey Ya'll, I have a question....I sucked up some sand or a peeble or someting into my outdrive which caused my water temp to rise to approx. 225. I shut her down, bounced the boat up and down and the clog cleared, and the temp went to the normal 150 degrees when I started back up. This is an OMC so getting to the impeller is easy, so I pulled it to see if any real damage had been done to it. Thank goodness no damage was found. But, when I opened the water pump case, some lower unit gear lube leaked out, about 1 teaspoon full. I put it all back together and ran it for a while the temp stayed down and all was well when I opened it up again. The level in one the gear lube dip stick still shows full....whats up with this?

MOP
08-01-2002, 11:03 PM
The seal for the pump shaft should be changed. Pull the pump and the plate the round piece with the seal behind gets pulled out and gets a new seal, O rings and gasket. Takes alot of teas spoons to show on the stick!

KennyD
08-02-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks M.O.P.!

Is this something I can do myself? or do I need the boat yard mech. to do it? Are you talking about the backing plate and gasket that sits behind the impeller against the inside of the drive?

MOP
08-02-2002, 09:56 AM
It depends on how handy you are, its not hard. Get all the stuff off, drain about an oil cans worth of drive oil. I use an L hook on a slide hammer and gently tap it out, try to do it evenly a little at a time side to side. Going back clean surfaces well then lightly coat all mating surfaces with OMC or Merc gasket compound. Don't get heavy handed tightening stuff. If the pump shaft shows wear change it. Refill gear case, make sure you use the hole by the cavitation plate if you use the bottom hole to fill it you can get an air pocket.

RickR
08-02-2002, 01:26 PM
If you have an late model OMC King Cobra. I would remove the water pump and adaptor housing to replace the water pump shaft seal.

With drive in UP position.
Remove 2 qts of gear lube.
Remove propshaft cooling hose.
Remove 3 screws and water pump housing
Remove 2 water pump plate screws and plate.

I hold pump shaft in place with vise grips, being VERY carefull not to score the shaft.
Remove 5 adaptor housing screws and carefully pry adaptor plate from gear housing. BE CAREFULL shaft and gear do not fall out, there are loose needle bearings in there DO NOT LET THEM FALL INTO GEARCASE!!!! eek! .

Replace seal (use OMC gasket sealing compound)then clean and inspect water pump parts.
This is a good time to inspect gears in upper gearcase.
Reassemble with new O-Rings and gaskets (I coat o-rings, bolt threads and gaskets with Hylomar but the OMC sealer will work also). Follow torgue specs and reassemble.

Water pump and adaptor housing 10-12 ft.lbs.
Water pump 9-11 ft.lbs (I'd use 9 and be carefull not to crush the plastic.

Double check me but
OMC O-Ring #911701 (might be available @ NAPA)