PDA

View Full Version : Should I rechrome or get new air scoops

Pacinda
08-01-2002, 04:17 PM
I have 4 air scoops. I would like to rechrome or replace them. Has anyone rechromed their air scoops. If not how much to replace them?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Scoop2.jpg

Jamesbon
08-01-2002, 05:06 PM
It's infinitely less expensive to re-chrome them. New ones are $$$ x four = ouch!

I'm in the same boat, and will have mine re-chromed, at which point, they'll look like new.

Speaking of that, what's the name of that chroming joint, Ted? (HP500-22) Was it on Bleamin street or something?

FASTEDDIE
08-01-2002, 05:21 PM
I bought new chrome vents from Perko and they were $17.00 each with a new black plastic base. I am sure you can't ship them out to rechrome for that price each.

harbormaster
08-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Mark,
there is a place south of Hobby airport that does chrome work. Its called Artco. The more stuff you have to chrome the cheaper it is. Let me know. I may have some stuff too. I can take it all to the chrome shop.

Ralph Savarese
08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
I replated mine by these people they did a great job about $45 each www.frankfordplating.com (http://www.frankfordplating.com)
Ralph

Pacinda
08-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Scot, I love to send them in. Let me know when you what to do it.

BERTRAM BOY
08-01-2002, 06:04 PM
The new chrome plated bronze vents are available from Rich Pflaumer for $90 each. Pricey, but worth it.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Formula Jr
08-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Pacinda, if you do go the all new route, let me know what you want out of those, old, worthless, beat up ones.
:D

Jamesbon
08-01-2002, 08:50 PM
$17 is an astonishing price, however, the plastic based vents are of an entirely different breed than the older style one piece units like I have.

Some real nice reproduction "older style one piece units," (http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000085) $115.00 ea.

BERTRAM BOY
08-01-2002, 09:17 PM
I'm really NOT trying to drive the price up. They're not that rare...
Actually you shouldn't have to sand them at all. The plater will electrochemically strip them.

harbormaster
08-01-2002, 10:59 PM
I have some nice scoops that are on an old 16 classic parts boat that i sold to some foreigner. He'll never miss 'em.

Moody Blu'
08-02-2002, 12:50 AM
do the orignials over.......

so what are we talkin if I need four scoops done and my rear light assembly my front and rear boat hoops???

the more we do the cheaper right?

can we do something llike this in fall when im ready to rip the boat apart ? or is it a next week kinda thing?

I'm interested one way or another....

find me a price....and email me beerock@rcn.com

BERTRAM BOY
08-02-2002, 07:18 AM
Poodle,
Chroming over the nicks? Don't you know when you deal with people in the Commercial/Industrial businesses, that you have to be VERY specific?
Bronco if the Garage? At least Heidi has a good sense of humor........ :p :p :p

Rich
08-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Mark......
Even though I would love to sell you new vents, rechroming is the way to go $$$$-wise. I would check out the link that Ralph S. left for Frankford plating. They can fill in any nicks you have before plating. I had some Harley stuff chromed years ago and didn't have the dings repaired first. I'm still looking at beautifully chrome plated dings. Looks like hell. If your vent screens are brazed in place and in good shape you probably could leave them. If they are in bad shape, have them removed and make sure the brazing is removed from the vent. Otherwise putting new screens in is difficult. If you need new screens, let me know. They are chrome plated brass @ $5.00 each.
Thanks guys for linking to my parts.

BERTRAM BOY
08-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Actually,
The screen are lead soldered into place before chroming. I don't think it's possible to braze them into place. Brazing is to hot. How do I know this?

Rich
08-02-2002, 03:14 PM
O.K....I'm not sure about the brazing but they are definetely not solder...not on my 1966 2plus3
anyway. On later year vents, the screen was put in after chroming. Held in the slot with some adhesive. The manufacturer told me they did this to save money on polishing the vent. Seems the screen was in the way.

DOND
08-02-2002, 03:25 PM
I had all the chrome for my 69 16 done for about $300. An important part of the process is the prep work. All pits and nicks need to be ground out and polished first.If this is not done correctly all those blemishes really stick out after plating and the final buffing.
The plater was able to do my scoops with the screens attached. They did get a little crumpled during the final buffing as he was holding on to them.All of my parts came out very nice. The only unfortunate part of it was that the plater lost one of my rail centers. It is not uncommon for platers to loose small parts. I did buy one from
Rich, he has nice stuff.

Formula Jr
08-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Scot V. I tryed to call you about the vents on your old 16, but your number has appearently been changed to a brothel in Nevada.. :D :D :D