PDA

View Full Version : boat wont run

donzifirstlove
09-07-2003, 09:05 PM
today I took out my 94 donzi sweet 16 with the 4.3LX. I am cruzing along and it was like I just cut the throttle back to neutral. The engine puttered and cut out. I tried to start it back up. It started up and then puttered out again. then that was it, it would turn over all day and not start. I looked at it briefly when I got home, I am not sure that it is getting fuel, its hard to see by yourself but I took off the spark arrestor and I dotn think I see any fuel comming in. could a fuel pump just cut out mid stride like that? or could an obstruction just block up the line? or could it be something like an ignition switch? I just dont knwo where to begin, I am going ot fool with it tomorrow evening but any help yall could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
steve

Cuda
09-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Check fuel filter and/or water separator.

HyperDonzi
09-07-2003, 10:17 PM
This might sound a bit dumb, but it happens. Check your kill switch, and the wires behind the kill switch. Not that this ever happened and left us stranded for 3 hours... wink

MOP
09-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Cuda and Hyper are right on, after checking those items another thing that gives trouble is the anti syphon valve which is in the hose barb at the tank. I have found a kinds of stuff caught in them. When the tanks have the holes cut for the various fittings many times that debris stays in the tank and ends up getting sucked into the pickup sooner or later. Hyper bringing up the Kill switch is a lot more common than many would think especially in salt water we have more corrosion problems than most, the kill switch usually lets the engine start but it dies a soon as the key is released from the start position. This can be checked very simply by taking a jumper wire and supplying 12 volts the purple wire at the coil, try starting if it stays running its the kill switch, pull the jumper wire to kill the engine and change the kill switch. Usually if it dies slow and sputters it is a fuel problem, if it dies abruptly it usually is electrical. "But then again not always!"

donzifirstlove
09-08-2003, 04:24 PM
the good ole kill switch, it was the first thing that I checked cause I too had the problem after getting a new battery. that cord can move the switch ever so slightly to where it wont go. I am def going to check that fuel line for obstructions. Is it possible for the fuel pump just to die so suddenly? I still havent got out there to investigate, that motor is alot easier to work on than the motor in my truck, there is a short fuel line so it shouldnt take long to isolate the problem once I get my hands in there.
thanks for the help guys I will tell you how it goes.

steve

MOP
09-08-2003, 04:49 PM
If thr diaphram lets go its immediate and sudden, but if any fuel is coming through the problem is usually someplace else.

smokediver
09-09-2003, 05:04 AM
did you backfire before the engine stopped? it may have caused the butterfly to close.. could be a little coroded ... bad fuel in the tank or water coming in from the exhuast could have caused this ..

smokediver
09-09-2003, 05:04 AM
did you backfire before the engine stopped? it may have caused the butterfly to close.. could be a little coroded ... bad fuel in the tank or water coming in from the exhuast could have caused this ..

donzifirstlove
09-10-2003, 10:43 PM
today i took the fuel filter off, it was full of water, I replaced it and after some time primeing the line, I go it started, I reved it a little and if idled fine, it sounded like there was an occasional miss. I turned it off and started it back up, I let it idle for a bit and its started idleing rough and when I would move the throttle up it sounding like it was loading up, it got worce and worce untill it cut out and then it wouldnt start. I took the fuel filter off again to check it for water, it was clean, I am puzzled once again.

I love that boat,
steve

MOP
09-11-2003, 06:32 AM
There is a very good possibilty that some of the water made it into the carb. I would pull it and clean the bowl, just a little in the bowl will put you out of business. Dry gas may help, but cleaning the carb is the best way to go.

donzifirstlove
09-13-2003, 12:25 PM
I took the carb off the clean it and the bowls were both empty. so I turned the key on it the boat and I didnt get any fuel, I didnt even hear the pump come on. I took the connection loose and checked for voltage, there was nothing. where do the wire from the fuel pump go?

later,
steve

Ed Donnelly
09-13-2003, 12:36 PM
If the engine is non computer,it likely runs off the ignition swich. Try hot wiring a positive lead from your battery and see if pump now pumps. I have lots of other stupid ideas if anyone is interested..Ed

donzifirstlove
09-13-2003, 08:14 PM
when I took that carb apart, what little was in there was water, I cleaned it all up and put it back, I turned the key and after a couple turns she fired right up. I reved a couple time and then let it idle. It pured like a kitten, not even a miss. I was sure that the moisture had fouled one of the plugs but today it ran great, I still plan on changeing them as routine checkup. I am going to put some dry gas in the tank and keep an eye on that fuel filter to make sure it doesnt fill up again. thanks for the advice guys.

steve

A boat is the only thing in the world that you can love and in a matter of seconds hate, but it just the same amount of time go right back to loving again wink