PDA

View Full Version : Radar Runs?

Riley
09-07-2003, 06:43 PM
My friends and I are giving serious consideration to trying to organize a radar run for boats for next summer. Has anybody on here participated in an organized radar run for boats? I was elected to find out all I can about formats, course set up, insurance, etc. Would APBA have any info on something like this? If anybody could point me in the right direction on this I would really appreciate it! Thanks, Chris

olredalert
09-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Chris,

-------Roadtrip SE,me,and a few other MI.guys are trying to set up a really special DONZI event in the St.Clair river/Harsens Island area tentively scheduled for Aug,04.I think your radar runs would be a great addition to the activities.Could be done in Muscamoot Bay,possibly?Just a thought...........Bill S

Shanghied Again
09-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Radar Runs are a lot of fun with a big responsibilty that comes with them.

1) You must get State Police and Coast Guard approval.

2)If you are running an open invite to all boats you better carry an Insurance binder for your event.

3) You need help Volunteers for Sweep boats, Medic boat and Radar boat. You won't believe how many spectators come to these!

4)Make your registration early

5) NO Drinking allowed before the run.

We the NJPPC ran Radar shoot outs for years, Its really a pain in the A** but worth it when its sed and done.

GEOO
09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
:D :D :D

Riley
09-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all of the good information. GEOO, I take it the smiley's mean you really enjoy thrashing everyone at your local radar runs? eek!

Oldred, we are planning on trying to use our radar run for a local fund raiser, but I'd be happy to help you guys out down there and share any info I get on the subject.

Frank, if you have any info on formats, classes, and course lay-outs that you could share from your events I'd really appreciate it. We have a good working relationship with our local marine law enforcement, DNR, and Coast Guard, so that shouldn't be a problem. We also have some tentative sponsors signed up to help defray insurance costs. I'm just trying to get a jump start on things now, so we can pull it all together by next July.

Shanghied Again
09-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Riley, E-Mail me. I will also draw you the lay out we use all the volunteer boats for the shute. Lobster pots work well with large polls and orange flags on the top. The shute is about 1/2 mile in lenght and the start boat is 3/4 of a mile back. The last 2 boats are the Radar boat and the score boat Across from each other with big black and white checkered flags, you need at least 14-25 sweep boats on the line to keep traffic and sailboaters out..
We always start off with the 16 to 22 ft class then the Outboard 16 till 22.
Next is single 23 to 27ft then 27 twin to 38.
Cats and the big boats are the extreme class.
Frank