PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed - Merc 200 OptiMax Problems

RedDog
06-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Help – I’m on vacation at Hatteras Inlet, NC with family and my brother’s 22 Hydra Sport WA. Has a 1998 Mercury 200 OptiMax. We headed offshore early this AM in search of Tuna, et al, and problems ensued.

Heading out the sound, my brother said the engine alarm would go off 2 or 3 times with the need to throttle back to reset. Then it wouldn’t go off anymore. This seemed to be the case until we were about 18 miles out just short of the Stream. Then the fuel (?) alarm that looks like a gas pump started flashing/sounding – 3 beeps and then it would go away for a few minutes and then sound again. We drained the Racor fuel filter/separator and got a fair amount of water out but no change. Things got worse – the engine alarm and fuel (?) alarm started going off continusly and we could only run at a fast troll speed. Put the lures out and trolled home 2-1/2+ hours with alarms going off constantly – at least we got 1 King Mackerel for dinner. By the time we hit the sound again, the motor started having hiccups occasionally. Would rev only 1500-2000 RPM the whole way home.

Back at the dock, we put a new Racor cartridge on. Seems it took a long time to see fuel in the filter’s clear drain bowl. The fuel line bulb was very tight and squeezing didn’t seem to cause the fuel to draw through the filter. Engine alarm has quit sounding, but the fuel alarm light is staying on and beeps 3 times every few minutes. Seems to run normal now otherwise.

Any clues on what may be going on? What is the alarm that looks like a fuel pump. Brother thinks maybe the fuel pickup in the tank is clogged – but didn’t see any trash in the Racor filter. Do you think we can now try an offshore trip again? Stay close in and fish the sound only? Or just keep it on the trailer until it can be carried to a mechanic – we have some tools and less knowledge.

avanti
06-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Usually when the fuel alarm is going off it is because the vacuum is high and it is trying to tell you that there is some sort of restriction to the fuel supply. What I would worry about is where is the water coming from that is in the fuel ? Is the fuel tank cracked ? Is the water getting in through the fuel filler cap ? Once you find the water problem the other problem should stop. In the mean time I wouldn't go anywhere that you can't reach the Coast Guard on your VHF.

Team Hula Girl
06-23-2003, 03:36 PM
The only time other than fuel/water that I know of when the alarm goes off on a merc outboard is when you overheat because of water pressure or lack of oil. If the outboard has a steady stream of water coming out the back of the motor (peeing water right below the cowling) then I would check the oil level. If he has recently run low on oil he may have to manually fill the resevoir under the cowling to create vacum again. If thew alarm was going off every two minutes or so and you kept running the motor you will have probably blown a powerhead or have cylinder/piston damage and have to have it worked on. (ask me how I know)

Check water pressure
Check oil level in both main resevoir and on motor
Check water/fuel filter

good luck

It sounds like Tuna fever got the best of you. Especially since the alarm went off when you were just heading out. Whatever you do make sure that the VHF radio works.

John