PDA

View Full Version : electrical help

roadking
09-06-2003, 04:58 PM
There are 2 purple wires hooked to my ignition switch. When both are hooked up the circuit breaker pops. My mechanic unhooked one of the purple wires and everthing seems to work. He can't figure out where the other wire leads to. Does anyone know what the other purple wire leads to?

'99 22zx

MOP
09-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Thats a needle in a hay stack question, look to see if it goes into a harness, if so follow the harness and find that wire where it comes out then trace to source. Sometimes it pays to just get in a good spot under the dash with a decent light and slowly follow the wire to see where it goes. Purple is ignition feed it can or does depending on the particular application to the coil, to feed the field of an alternator, to power dash gauges. But if a NO IT ALL has been under the dash Who Knows Where!

boldts
09-06-2003, 07:24 PM
My 98 22 Classic has 2 purple wires to the ignition switch also. Both are hooked up and no circuit breaker problems. I believe one runs the gauge power while the other one controls the power to the engine. I know this because when the one going back to the engine came loose from the ignition switch, the engine shut off. turns over, but no start. I'm no expert with electrical, but it sounds like you have a short that is causing the breaker to activate. Do all your gauges and lights work with the one wire un-hooked? I would suspect the wire going to your gauges since you say the boat works with one wire un-hooked. I would assume that the wire you are leaving hooked up is the engine wire. Like MOP said, I'd follow each wire and look for any bare wire maybe making contact with metal somewhere and I would start with the gauge wire.

roadking
09-07-2003, 11:06 AM
just went for joy ride. boat runs great now. the purple wire is unhooked, but still don't know where it goes. guages work except for speedo, but thats beeen broken for a couple months. who knows????