PDA

View Full Version : Merc outdrive question..

BUIZILLA
09-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Okay, curious question of the day.

Can a Gen II Alpha outdrive assy. directly bolt on, in place of a Gen I, on the existing Gen I gimble housing?

J

Walt. H.
09-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Yeah?,Yes!
Jamie Had a Gen II set up before he bolted his Gen-I >SS Alpha to his Gen II Gimble. But i'm sure he should give the final word on this.

Sounds like you have something in mind? :rolleyes:

MR MAGOO
09-06-2003, 08:46 PM
The Gen 2 is a bit wider at the wear plates. This needs to be machined to fit within the "ears" of the transon assy. Also you need to install the gen 2 shift mechanism in the bellhousing of the gen 1 transom assy. Other than these simple mods, it is a bolt on deal.

Rootsy
09-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim,

tis true that i installed my alpha SS (gen I) onto my gen II transom assy...

in a nutshell i had to remove my bellhousing and machine it to accept the shorter upper shift shaft of the GEN I... and do a shifter cable adjustment.. but other than that... that is all there was to it... 4 inches between wear/guide plates on the GEN II... the wear pads on the SS come out to 4 inches so i was golden and tight...

going to a GEN II onto a gen I transom assy you are gonna have to swap shift shafts in the bellhousing and a few little other things... but the BIG thing to worry MORE about is the trim cylinders. the gen I uses the rubber inserts the gen II uses the nylon bushings... the rods should be the same diameter (5/8) i believe. BUT with the different bushings the GEN II housing needs to be machined to take the extended pads at the rear down 1.5 inches on each side... or spacers made to go vice versa...

If you do not have a gen II and need any measurements give ym cell # a hollar tomorrow and i will uncover the GEN II and get the ruler for ya.

BUIZILLA
09-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Rootsy, I do not have a Gen II yet, just doing some checking. I am going to have to do something along these lines soon though.... either that, or I find a damn nice Gen I and do the nose cone mod/gear mod we discussed before...

J