PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION FOR BROWNIE

J&K SHAHBAS
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
HI BROWNIE, HOPE I CAN GET SOME INPUT ON MY 28. WHERE THE WATER PICKS UP IN THE STRUT WERE THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH TRASH PLUGING THE INTAKE AREA,OR DO YOU THINK THERE IS TO MUCH DRAG? WOULD YOU WELD THESE AREAS UP AND USE TRANSOM MOUNTED PICKUPS OR DO YOU THINK ANY GAINS WOULD BE MINIMUM? ALSO DO TO THE TIGHTNESS OF THE ENGINES I WANT TO STAGGER THE MOTORS DO YOU SEE ANY WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION PROBLEMS? OTHER THAN THAT EVERY THING ELSE IS WORKING OUT FINE, BUT IT WAS TOUGH TO LOCATE A ROLLER CAMSHAFT BLANK TO BUILD THE RIGHT HAND RUNNING MOTOR PLUS THE FACT THAT IT IS A FORD.I GOT MY NEW V-DRIVES BACK WITH 29% OVER IN THE GEARS. THE FIRST ENGINE CAME OFF THE DYNO WITH6LBS OF BOOST AND ON PUMPGAS AT 910HP! THE GELCOAT WORK IS TURNING OUT AWSOME,BUT THIS IS A HUGE PROJECT. ILL POST PICS NEXT TIME NATE COMES OVER WITH HIS CAMERA. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

harbormaster
07-31-2002, 02:42 PM
Nate!
Get your ass over there!
:D

J&K SHAHBAS
07-31-2002, 04:51 PM
Hey scott I would do it myself but I cant figure out how to get pictures from a camera I bought to my computer . Its a nice camera D1X nikon with a memory chip, but I didnt get the manual for the camera ,there on order. So mabe after that I could Email them to you for posting. Thanks

PS Looks like its going to be a baby girl for me Kathy and I !!!!!!

Bad-Tat
07-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Congrats on another Donzi Girl!!!!

harbormaster
07-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Congrats You guys! Sure send me the photos and i will put them up for ya'll.

Dr. Dan
08-01-2002, 06:54 AM
John & Kathy, :D Congrats :D Hey email me your address, everytime I try I get returned mail...got AOTH II Pics of you two & WA LO!!... wink ...Doc

ALLAN BROWN
08-01-2002, 08:27 AM
The strut pickups work perfectly, and are protected from junk by the shaft. The scariest part of your setup is the relationship of torque vs. shaft diameter. You are miles off the charts with the current setup. Unfortunately, the slimness of the strut prevents a big increase in shaft diameter. As far as engine layout is concerned, the "Donzi Baby", my 1967 Miami-Nassau boat, had two 427 Fords on one shaft, with one in front of the vee drive, and one behind. It was 1000 hp on an 1 1/2" shaft. It was the best balanced of all the Donzi's (and maybe all the boats of that size). I never saw a good air shot, as it ran level at all times.

MOP
08-01-2002, 08:39 AM
Drooling for a look see! Sounds way awesome!

J&K SHAHBAS
08-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks brownie for the feed back , I had the same concern about the shaft diameter,but the people I use for my v-drive components said with the 1-1/4 shaft material and couplers and other factors prop size and shaft speed for my application that it would be ok, these guys do alot of blown hydro, and speed skiing boats that get abused and they helped me with my v-drive hornet with 1- 1/8 shaft and about 800hp and so far so good. I will say if I wasnt a sucker for trying to keep the boat looking period correct I would already have a set of drives hanging on the back!!

Dr. Dan my address is: John&Kathy Shahbas
6471 3rd Palm Point
St. Pete Beach, Florida

Baby is due around January 18,2003

She'll be in the boat by Jan 19!!!

Jamesbon
08-01-2002, 09:44 PM
Harbormaster,
I'm on it! wink

J&K,
See ya this weekend.

MadPoodle,
Damn! You got all the hook ups!!! Nice hardware!

HP 600SC
08-02-2002, 07:26 AM
John and Kathy Congratulations!!!!
hope we can all get together soon. Are you going to Eufalla?

Ted & Kathy

ToonaFish
08-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Sounds like y'all have quite a souvenir from AOTH... great congratulations!

Bunches,

Celene

J&K SHAHBAS
08-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Hey Ted ,Kathy and I are going to tennessee to see my parents and get some boating and VOL football in. Sorry were not going to make it to see everyone at Eufalla, but that just means there will be more Fried Catfish to go around.

THAT WAS CATFISH NOT TOONAFISH!!!!

HP 600SC
08-03-2002, 02:05 PM
John & Kathy.....sorry you wont be there.....
let's try to get together soon around here!!
I'll eat your share of the Catfish for sure!!
FINGER LICKING GOOD!!!

RedDog
08-05-2002, 09:40 AM
John- call me when you're in town. Debbie and I will want to meet you out on the river.

Pre-season hype is really building in Knoxville as usual. Could be a really good year with some major challenges - Florida early, Miami (FL) for homecoming (what fool picked them for HC), and GA @ GA.

Partying with the Vol Navy is a hoot -

Tim - 865-573-4927

RedDog
08-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Mad Poodle - we have the Canes and Gators as warm-up on our regular season schedule. Don't get to meet FSU until the BCS National Championship Game! Can you say SWEEP FLORIDA :D

Come on up for our Homecoming - surely we can find a ticket to squeeze you in with the other 108,000. I'll give you a ride to the game - if I don't go, I'll give you a ride to the game in my 18.

PS - look at John's (WA-LOs) avatar. That shot was made in th shadow of Neyland Stadium.

Forrest
08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Scott, I would jump on that offer if were you! Reddog, be sure to let Scott put up those stinkin' flags on whatever you ride out to the stadium in. eek!

BigGrizzly
08-05-2002, 03:40 PM
J & K thats great,a girl!!! That means I get to hugg two beautifull girls at Cumberland next year.

Randy

Ps The Grizzly family will miss you at eufala.

PE012
08-05-2002, 04:44 PM
If your shaft is good material (Aquamet22) 1 1/4" should be plenty I run 1300 HP thru a 1 1/8" at 169 mph Look at the shaft for your self!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/PBOBRIEN.jpg

ToonaFish
08-06-2002, 01:01 AM
RedDog:
Mad Poodle - we have the Canes and Gators as warm-up on our regular season schedule. Ah, so that's why Georgia keeps beating the Vols... not enough warmup... Now, I understand.

Hunkering down... letssee... Winter, Spring, Summer, and Football...

Bunches,

Celene

P.S And I'm not so sure about eating catfish... the Tennessee River catfish I've met have had weak bladders... kinda like the fans at Neyland stadium... http://www.donzi.net/photos/chowardfish.jpg

oldLenny
08-06-2002, 01:23 AM
PEO12,...great shot!!! Welcome aboard...

Toona,...you kill me :) :) :)

ToonaFish
08-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Totally OT, but hey, both my ankles are smashed and the pain killers are affecting my judgement (what'll be my excuse next week?).

Football Season: North vs. South

Women's Attire
Up North:
Chapstick in their back pocket and a $20 bill in their front pocket.
Down South:
Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, powder, mascara (waterproof), concealer, and a fifth of bourbon. Wallet not necessary - that's what dates are for.

Stadium Size
Up North:
College football stadiums hold 20,000.
Down south:
High school football stadiums hold 20,000.

Names
Up North:
Doug Flutie.
Down South:
Herschel Walker.

Weather
Up North:
Snow and Ice.
Down South:
Sunny, highs mid-60s, lows in the thirties.

Fathers
Up North:
Expect their daughters to understand Sylvia Plath.
Down South:
Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

Attire
Up North:
Male and female alike: woolly sweater or sweatshirt, jeans.
Down South:
Male - pressed khakis, oxford shirt, cap with frat logo, Justin Ropers. Female - ankle-lenght skirt, coordinated cardigan, flat riding boots, oxford.

Alumni
Up North:
Take prospects on sailing trips before they join the law firm.
Down South:
Take prospects on fishing trips so they don't leave for the NFL their senior year.

Campus Decor
Up North:
Statues of Founding Fathers.
Down South:
Statues of Heisman Trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen
Up North:
Also a physics major.
Down South:
Also Miss USA.

Heroes
Up North:
Mario Cuomo.
Down South:
"Bear" Bryant.

Getting Tickets
Up North:
5 days before the game you can walk into the ticket office on campus and still purchase tickets.
Down South:
5 months before the game you can walk into the ticket office on campus and still be placed on the waiting list for tickets.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game
Up North:
Students and Teachers are not sure if they are going because they have class on Friday.
Down South:
Teachers cancel class on Friday because they don't want to see the few hungover students that might actually make it to class on Friday.

Parking
Up North:
An hour or two before game time the university opens the campus for game parking.
Down South:
RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend's festivities. The real faithful begin arriving on Tuesday.

Game Day
Up North:
A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
Down South:
Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting Game Day "Live" to get on camera and wave to the idiots from up North who wonder why Game Day is never broadcast from their campus.

Tailgating
Up North:
Wieners on the grill, beer with a lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.
Down South:
30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by Hootie & the Blowfish, who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off your bottle of bourbon.

Getting To The Stadium
Up North:
You have to ask, "Where's the stadium?" When you find it you walk right in with no line.
Down South:
When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day, it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions
Up North:
Drinks served in a paper cup filled to the top with soda.
Down South:
Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot -- filled less than halfway to ensure enough room for bourbon.

When The National Anthem Is Played
Up North:
Stands are less than half full.
Down South:
80,000+ fans sing along in perfect 3-part harmony.

The Smell In The Air After The First Score
Up North:
Nothing changes.
Down South:
Fireworks with a twist of bourbon.

Commentary (Male)
Up North:
"Nice play."
Down South:
"Dammit you slow sumbith -- tackle him and break his legs!!!"

Commentary (Female)
Up North:
"My, this is a violent sport."
Down South:
"Dammit you slow sumbitch -- tackle him and break his legs!!!"

After The Game
Up North:
The stadium is empty before the game ends.
Down South:
Another rack of ribs on the smoker. While somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon, planning begins for next week's party.

Bunches,

Celene 'dancing with wolves has got to be less painful than being danced upon by horses'

J&K SHAHBAS
08-06-2002, 10:06 AM
PEO12, nice photo, aqua met is the material of my new shafts, but the only way youll see a photo on my boat like that is if a crane is holding the boat in the air!!! TOONA I'll never look at cat fish quite the same again.

patp
08-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi. I would like to give you my personal experience with the water pickups in the shafts of my 1967 28' Sportsman. When boating in the Fall I was always getting tree leafs clogging the water pickups. After the third time jumping into cold water I got smart and put strainers in front of the pickups, its been 4 years not one clog.

Pat.

RH
08-10-2002, 08:55 AM
Toona, you crack me up! Where do you get all of this stuff? Your are cordially invited to tailgate in Iowa City this fall for a Big Ten game with the Iowa Hawkeyes! I think your north-south comparison would be in for a surprise! IT is really alot of fun seeing all of the tractor and hayracks pull up to Kinnick Stadium on a nice autumn day. I didn't see the Dickies overalls on the list of clothing getup for us in Northern Exposure land! John, can't wait to see pictures of the 28 hitting the surf.
RH