PDA

View Full Version : Power trim squeal

1996Z15
06-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I was out on the boat this afternoon and occasinally when I would trim the drive I would hear a squealling sound almost like a slipping belt. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Greg Maier
06-22-2003, 02:45 PM
I had the same thing happen and then it went away after a few weeks. It happened the first couple of times I used the boat in the spring. I'm speculating that it could have been air in the system that has worked its way out.

1996Z15
06-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Is it something that I should worry about or am I just being paranoid, first boat and all.

MOP
06-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Most of the time the squeel happens from things being tight and does usualy go away after a few times out. Number 1 ram seals No 2 drive pivots are usualy the culprits. They get polio as I call it over the winter, the noise is the pressure relief valves letting the excess pressure off. Try disconnecting the aft end of the rams and spaying the rams with WD 40 or CRC, support them with line so not to stress the hose and run them in and out a few times, even with no leakage it may be time for kits.

1996Z15
06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Is this an expensive repair / rebuild and can a novice handle it or should I have a mechanic check it out?

MOP
06-23-2003, 09:00 AM
If the rams need re building you need some expertise, I would try the WD/CRC thing first. I myself have nursed the rams on one of my old boat for a few seasons till they finaly did start leaking.

GeneD
06-23-2003, 02:47 PM
The squealing noise is the bushing/bearing going bad in your trim motor.
It's nothing to be really concerned about until it fails, which will be soon. And then of course, you won't have any more trim, but you should be able to make it home.
A new pump is in order. Make sure you are sitting down when they give you the price.
A novice with a rudimentary knowledge of tools can make the replacement. The pump is attached to the motor, so you will have some oil leakage to worry about when disassembling. SAE 30W motor oil is the fluid of choice for the trim system.

1996Z15
06-23-2003, 04:28 PM
That was not the news I was hoping to hear. Approximately how much is a trim motor? Where would be the best place to get one?

1996Z15
06-23-2003, 08:45 PM
What's the easiest way to confirm that it's just the motor? I'd love to be able to simply replace the motor and be done with it.

GeneD
06-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Have someone sit in the driver's seat and do the trim up and down. You sit in the engine compartment and listen, when you hear the squeal, put your hand on top of the motor. If it's vibrating, it's the motor. The pumps rarely go bad. I've never experienced the squealing trim rams.

1996Z15
06-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Great news for me. The previous owner had replaced the alternator last season and he didn't tighten the belt enough. All I have to do is tighten the belt and the squeal should be gone.

MOP
06-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Mystery solved hit the trim switch make the alternator work harder Walla belt squeal. The squeal I speak of is never ever the rams. It is the noise when the trim button is held after the rams have been full cycled in either direction. The pressure relief valve allows the pressure to bleed off, stopping people from wrecking stuff the sound has more often than not been explained as a squeal by my customers. I tell them let go of the damn button, they think its broken and want it fixed. In salt alot of stuff developes POLIO as I call it, guys don't lube anything and the drive pins and ram bushings get stiff, sometimes the makes valve squeal or studdering noise through the full cycle of the rams. Granted most of the units themselves are tired, but with some lubing get quiet and happy again atleast for awhile!

GeneD
06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
I give up.
How in the world did you ever mistake a fan belt squeal for a trim motor squeal? eek!
I'm done with trouble shooting! :rolleyes:
Good luck, I hope that cures your problem. Isn't it funny that we suddenly think the worse when it's the most simplest of malfunctions? :rolleyes:

MOP
06-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Ah give the guy a break, I can see someone motoring out of the canal and hitting the trim button and hearing a squeal. Many people would intrepid in a different way. That is what makes the Heart of this foram, high tech guys like your self and old mechanics like me as we see by this post can't see the forest for the trees. The point is to try to come up with help for the newbies, many times we go off track not being feed all the info. But lets all keep trying and lets keep light if we can. Many a time when the answer comes through I end up scratching my head thinking Dummy why did I not think of that one. I know none of us have all the answers and many times go off in the wrong tilt and do feel foolish, but should we stop hell no. Just keep doing the best we can no one can ask for more, and the answers do finally come and make someone happy that is what really counts.