PDA

View Full Version : Question.

TMANN
06-21-2003, 01:39 PM
My boat will not circulate water thru the engine anymore. I had it on Muffs in the drive way two days ago and it worked fine but today it will not even pump a drop out the exhaust. The pump is on the drive belts and is turning as far as I can tell. I guess it might be the impeller. My question is the impeller the first place to look and if so how hard a job is it? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

TMANN

RickR
06-21-2003, 02:41 PM
TMANN:
My question is the impeller the first place to look and if so how hard a job is it?
TMANN If water does not come out exhaust shortly after starting engine (long enough for the block to fill) bump the throttle. If water still does not come out, pull the sea water hose off the thermostat housing and check for water there.

Impeller is probably bad but also check the plastic impeller housing for wear, cracks and a bad o-ring.

Not a bad job (5 bolts and 2 o-rings)but you're upside down. eek! Some mechanics use wire ties to help with impeller installation (remove after impeller starts in ) and lubricant or soap.

If your housing is bad, Sierra makes a pump rebuild kit with housing,bolts and impeller for <$100 Part # 18-3150

TMANN
06-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks Rick. I just pulled the thermostat and now I'm pulling the Pump. I just figured it would be a good time to replace everything that could need replacing. :)

TMANN

harbormaster
06-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Phillip,

Give me a ring if you need any help.

TMANN
06-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Thanks Scott. It was the Impeller. It was all torn up. I replaced it and everyting is fine once more.

TMANN