PDA

View Full Version : Classic Donzi collectability

1996Z15
06-20-2003, 05:45 PM
What are your thoughts regarding the collectability of the classic, and sometimes rare, Donzi's? Is it better to restore one of these boats due to the potential rarity and collectability of it or should we just enjoy them and build them as we chose disregarding any possible collector value?
I have thoughts on how I'd like to personalize my boat, mostly to enhance the performance, but I don't want to decrease it's value. What does everyone else think about this?

Don Carone
06-20-2003, 06:11 PM
The more people that "personalize"their originals, the fewer originals to be found. The fewer originals to be found the more those originals will be worth.
By you irreversibly changing the originality of your, lets say already rare MINX, you drive up the value of my now rarer original MINX.
In almost all collectible markets like cars toys musical instruments ect. Original is worth far more than not.
But with all that said. You can't put a price on FUN!!!

Rootsy
06-20-2003, 06:52 PM
i am sure i'll get corrected if i am wrong but...

in my view, a unique, extremely well restored and updated classic, retaining originality in hull and interior layout, especially an ordinary 16 or 18 will fetch far more than one that is restored originally...

now if you want to talk about rare such as the corsicans, 24 foot hulls, Fish and baby 14's, etc... then they may very well be more valuable in pristine original form... but then again... even purists to a large extent want a modern turn key, reliable power package... as long as the hull and interior are original in nature...

one other issue you run into with these old boats, unless you find one in perfect original condition... obtaining accurate documentation and assembly details, original driveline pieces and matching rare and unique power plants could be taxing... especially if you want to get down to details such as a totally correct camaro... antique cars went down the same assy line for the most part as the regular ones... and are well documented in most cases... boats on the other hand...

boats, even classic donzi's are not EXACTLY like the market for antique cars... unless maybe it is again an ultra rare one and then the totally concours purist collectors are far far far fewer than in the auto world...

doesn't mean that it wont happen in the future though... but i'd still take a pleasurable, well performing boat of an original nature... hull, interior, etc.. with a modern driveline, electrical and fuel system...

BUIZILLA
06-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Wow, what a great topic. I have been pondering this for a LONG time myself. And, quite honestly, am confused at some collectible values, if any, of these boats. I was going to start a topic like this last week b4 LG to create some new conversation there.

So, I guess the question remains... Is there, in fact, any expectation of an increase in value of correctly restored or period correct Donzi's? Look at Grizz's updated Stallion, versus a perfect 100% original restoration Criterion. Which, if either, is worth more ??

Or, does it really matter? are they REALLY collectibles?

When you see the price escalation of certain *named* woody hulls such as a Gar boat or Harker, would the Donzi figure to be an escalating classic in the future? What makes the Gar name better than an Aronow name?

I have extensive classic car and musclecar track record, having personally owned about 75 of them over the years. Certain oldie's skyrocket in value, while other gorgeous makes drop like rocks? A '69 Camaro I sold 4 years ago for 23.5k just sold again for 62k last month. I just sold another 69 Z28 for 38k and a 69 Chevelle SS for 31k, why can't primo examples of classic hulls of name/same vintage be the same way?

I have chosen the completely original detailed approach to my Minx LE, but I am on the road to Jamie's synopsis on my 18LE and intend to make it a *stock appearing* screamer. Both my LE's are documented 100% original boats including carb, water pumps, drives, alternators, paperwork, yada, yada...

Is the El Pesca worth what the investment is? will it escalate, or depreciate? Corsican? X boats? 14 benches? Hornet benches? St Tropez outboards?

How can a '69 Z28 Camaro that they made thousands of escalate, and a 20 Minx LE that they maybe made a handful of...depreciate or stagnate?? Is the GM moniker worth more than Aronow's heritage?

Look at the Yenko Camaro and tell me why a set of decals on an identical car that sold for 62k, adds another 100k to the price tag? I don't get it... They made more Yenko's than Holman Moody Hornets right??

Why do certain cars enjoy rocket values and boats enjoy sinking (sic) values?

J

I just don't get it...

knee deep
06-20-2003, 07:41 PM
My .02 worth, I bought my '68 18 2+3 while looking for a fishboat saw the ad and the rest is history. I was going to make it look just like the Red and White Classic poster boat. I could not believe the number of comments I got about it - "Haven't seen one of these in years" etc. I decided to restore the boat rather than refit and update it, all the steering, blower, pumps etc. are new, the chrome is replated, the drive housing is new, the controls are new etc. It looks like a brand new '68 which, is, in fact what it is. I think there is a strong demand or will be for the rare boats, and there will be some demand for faithfully kept old boats. We'll see........

Ranman
06-20-2003, 08:09 PM
BUIZILLA,

To answer your main question very succinctly, its supply and demand. Although there were many more Camaros built in 69 than Corsicans for example, there is a MUCH higher demand for the Camaro. If the demand for Donzi's increases, so will the price. Over time, the demand for older Donzi Classics will increase, but unless there is some big media event surrounding these Donzi's or "classic offshore powerboats" the slope of appreciation will stay somewhat flat. THere was talk at one time of a movie titled "Donzi". If this movie materialized, you could bet your ass that the demand for these boats will skyrocket along with the slope of appreciation.

TO touch on originality, I'm with Jamie. I don't personally feel that classic boats and cars will follow the same path. This is because of the limited build tracebility and the simple fact that boats just don't retain their original hardware as well as cars. That being said, the most valuable boats will be the rare ones that have been for the most part structurally unmolested. I don't think that an updated driveline, if done correctly, will hurt the collectability or value of an older classic. I'm sure there will be purists and there will be collectors who want to run the boats. THe value will be in the eye of the potential buyer.

An example that comes to mind is the ten thousand dollar custom paint job on a late model offshore boat. The paint was $10K, but many times is only appealing to the owner and often times that owner cannot understand why his boat won't even sell for market value.

So my vote is for "collect but don't molest" (too badly). :D :D

Bug
06-20-2003, 08:31 PM
I've thought about this topic more than once. I
have an 84 18' 2+3 in real nice condition. Was a
fresh water boat until I got it and when I first
dipped her into salt I almost felt guilty of a
crime.BUT I've been around the bays and ocean all
my life and as long as you take care of your
equipment it will take care of you and I'm a firm
beleiver in that.I've also thought of becoming a
two boat Donzi owner so I can keep one in good
shape and the other to so call, use and abuse.Until
that can happen I'll continue to take good care of my 84.Keep them as original as possible.

Formula Jr
06-20-2003, 08:42 PM
A boat is only worth what a "Community" thinks the boat is worth. People are funny creatures sometimes. They want what "other" people want. We have watched the determination of what is collectable, right here. This IS the community.

The list is really very short, for a collectable boat:

1. Formula Jrs. :)
2. GT 21s :)

Moody Blu'
06-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Formula Jr:
Run them till the engines wearout and the keel starts cracking. Why would anyone, "Save" a Donzi? Run it, Run it on the ragged edge, Run it till it breakes. Run it, and change it till it truely scares you. Thats what Don wanted........... Don is proud of me then wink

I do think the holman and moody donzis are worth more then a regular 18 of the same era. Somethin about the H/m nascar heritage.

I know I have had people yell at me from another boat, "ill give you 10,000 for that boat right now!" :rolleyes:
I think ill die before I sell this boat.... wink

olredalert
06-20-2003, 08:50 PM
-----Wow,obviously a subject close to my heart and my wallet.
-----Jim,since I have had alot of the same life experiences,Ive had all the same thoughts.Some of the conclusions I have come to will certainly need updating in the future,but at this point I get the feeling the rarity is tied up in production numbers.The lower the production numbers the rarer the style.The rarer the style the more valuable the DONZI.It also goes without saying that the particular boat has to have the lines.Luckily,most DONZIs are blessed with good looks!
-----As far as the drivetrain goes,at this point I feel that what ever you have under the hatch,and on the transom is good if the boat is strong as well as practical,and useable,and you like it.Remember that Don and the Chisholms would put anything under the hatch that you were willing to pay for.Lets face it,some early DONZIs with original power suffer from what I call earlyitis.Original is nice,but in the end a DONZI needs to perform.Todays description of "high performance" just plain differs with what those of us old enough to remember used to think of as "high performance".Back then 45mph was great.Anything over fifty was cool and over 60 was practicly suicidal!!!!!Now,if we cant run mid-to-high 60s at the meets,we get left in the dust.Its cool that Don(and the designers)designed and built boats that could be repowered up to match modern day needs and desires.Really,we should be thankful that we have a platform that allows us to express our wildest desires.
-----So,I guess Im saying,go ahead,modify the drivetrains if you feel the urge.Just keep the package true to Dons dream,and you will still have a collectable,saleable classic.Just one mans thoughts after about four beers so come on,tell us what the rest of you guys think...........Bill S

mattyboy
06-20-2003, 08:50 PM
this is an interesting topic for sure,
let's talk...........
original vs restored original vs updated original vs customized........
Original boats are hard to find and when found are usually in rough shape, except for the ones that lived on a lift or were used by the lil ole lady from pasedena to go to church on sunday..
a copo camaro all original with some body rot is worth much more than a Donzi with the same rot in it!!!
so now let's take that COPO camaro and restore it to original condition it is worth about half of what a mint original is worth, might i add well over what it was worth new. Now if you paint it a color that was original but not available in the COPO order you lose value
so now that I have a head ache from thinkin about all the Tom Seaver, and Nolan Ryan rookie cards I ran thru the spokes on my bike....
Let me put it this way , we own our boats cause we love them and if they are original , mint, used, customized we will never loose money, but if we are in it for investment we have lost sight of what the boats were built for to run and look cool
or in other terms what an X-18 worth?? what's a 100 mph x-18 worth??? what's a drop dead gorgeous orange 18 worth???? they are worth everything to their owners but probably not worth selling, think about it

off the soap box now and going thru my sons baseball cards wink :D

Matty

goatee
06-20-2003, 08:59 PM
i thought about this myself more than once... kinda why i'm leaning to a NOT SO rare donzi. for fear of screwing it all up!
remember that boat at AOTH111???? IF IT WAS AN X-18,, HE'S GONNA BURN! BURN FOR ETERNITY!

mattyboy
06-20-2003, 09:24 PM
when the 16 in Texas sells for 30k and on Sunday mornings your watching "Dream BoatHouse "instead of " Dream Car Garage" on Speedvision , then go original!!! til then built it as you see fit!!!! wink

Matty

mphatc
06-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Simple . . . originality brings with it VALUE . . the last 3 Corsican sales I know of . . .

$9K original boat 1.5 years ago
$13K 1/2 year ago . . appraised at $17,500
yellow one asking price was $13K

boat in NH FS presently, totally apart, once yellow, now red . . asking $12K . .

Values are going up.

The same thing is happening in the low volume car market . . ie 1988 -1991 BMW M3. with only 4800 legal US cars these are becoming rare and pricey.

Mario L.

mattyboy
06-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Mario,

Corisicans are not the measuring stick they are VERY rare!!!!, and we are still only talking about maybe doubling in value??? boats ain't cars
I watched a 71 442 olds go for 80k that's like 12 times original value, when this becomes a business I'll beat the piss out of my checkmate!!! :rolleyes: eek! :confused: :p wink

BUIZILLA
06-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Matty, I have a '71 W30 442 I'll let ya have for 17.5k right now :D

Of course, some assembly required.. wink

J :)

mattyboy
06-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Buizilla,
I got a 67 16 in the same shape how bout a trade????? wink :rolleyes: :D

Matty

Islander
06-20-2003, 10:44 PM
I've heard it said that if you want to make a small fortune in boating start out with a large fortune. And in my mind that applies to the "collectability" of these boats. If you're looking for an investment to list in your personal financial statement, stay away from boats in general, you're bound to be disappointed. However, if your return on investment is not measured in dollars, then a classic Donzi is hard to beat. For the price of a 13' whaler you can buy a gorgeous classic Donzi that looks as good and performs as well today as the day it was designed, and twenty years from now will be just as beautiful. And that is one amazing bargain. I for one hope that they don't get too expensive so I can afford to buy another one.

Ed Donnelly
06-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Modern is better, but why not have the best of both worlds. My 72 Pantera has all the upgrades,rect. headlights,better suspension, better fans etc. etc. BUT I have all the original parts stored. If the new buyer wants,he can put it back to original.The Criterion SS wasn't fast enough,so out with the original and in with the twin turbos.If and when I decide to sell,the original engine can be put back in...Ed

TuxedoPk
06-21-2003, 12:52 AM
While my original intent was to purchase a mid-life crisis Donzi, I found myself purchasing several boats as a way to diversify my portfolio. I believe that it will take about another 7-10 years before we start to see any significant rise in value of these boats, but it is very likely to follow the long term appreciation path that classic wood boats have taken.

From a best investment standpoint, I think that there are many other classic fiber boats that will appeal to the nostalgia/collector market equally as strong as certain Donzi models. I agree with all of the comments concerning the relatively small size of the boat market vs. the automobile market. Besides being rare, a boat has to be desireable to really appreciate.

If purchasing for investment rather than pleasure, I agree with the purist approach. That is something I've learned from restoring historic homes. My personal believe is that unless the engine or outdrive are original, it's best to strip them to sell today for parts lowering the carrying cost of your investment. I also believe that given a fixed amount of money to invest, it is best to not put any money into restoring the boats today, just store them away and invest in more boats.

The long term appreciation will come from the hull/deck, and if the boat is to be repowered with a non-original configuration, it's best to install new and re-gel/and upholster just prior to selling. You're potential customer base also increases for those who want to restore themselves, or those who want to purchase a restored boat.

Much along the lines of real estate, I believe that from a purely investment standpoint, it is sometimes best to forget your own personal likes and dislikes- something I've found challenging to do at times. Unless the boat is extremely rare/collectible, changing the color has a direct impact on the selling price and time to sell for boats. Studies have shown red to be one of the most sought after colors, green to be the least.

Rich
06-21-2003, 07:29 AM
In any market, whether it is cars, boats, motorcycles, or anything collectible, "original" is always more valuble with authentic restoration next. Anyone in the antique or classic item business will tell you that. What Don Aronow or Henry Ford wanted or invisioned has nothing to do with "value". I've watched antique roadshow on TV a number of times and I'm constantly astounded at what some items are worth. Many times the experts will say "Too bad it's been refinished" or even cleaned up...if it was "original", it would be worth...... The price they state is always much higher.
Now "value" for many items is only what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm sure there are many Donzi guys out there who would rather have (and will pay more for) a modernized powerplant boat rather than the original setup. That's because they want to use the boat, go fast, and not have it sit in the garage just being original.
When I first bought my 1966 2+3 in 1984, I did so because I always loved the Donzi lines and to use the boat. I had no idea of any collectible value. I fixed things here and there by replacing parts to match the original just because it was the easiest thing to do. The Eaton Interceptor outdrive (really a Volvo 200) I replaced (when it broke) with a Volvo 270. The fuel tank I bought from Donzi (still have the receipt) matched the original in size and shape. The original was terneplate (lead and tin plated steel) and the new is aluminum. And that was only because my insurance company wouldn't insure it with the terneplate tank. I also had to replace the glass bowl fuel pump with a metal can type.
Because of Jim Cancil (he started this website) and this fantastic web site and its members, I found out that I have one of the earliest 2+3 boats built. And I feel that lucky for me, it is still mostly original. Had I replaced the puny original 289 c.i./200 h.p. engine and outdrive with a modernized powerplant and then found out its rarity, I would have been pissed off to say the least.
So in order to keep things "as original", I found and bought an Eaton Interceptor (Volvo 200) outdrive and have been scooping up Eaton Interceptor exhaust manifolds and risers. Being "as original" was my incentive to reproduce the chrome hardware used on a lot of the early Donzi's. Sorry Gene D, but I cringed when I saw the hardware he put on his boat. But that was because he couldn't find original type stuff.
So now, and years from now, I want to look at my Donzi and be able to say "That's the way they were built". To me, that's worth more than modern and fast.

MOP
06-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Anyone that has been to a classic boat show knows it is the off name and many times the ugliest boats that demand un real prices. I went up to Clayton last year with RT, there were 14 foot aluminum boat that went for 10k. Right here by me there was a Crosby with fins and what looked like stop lights with a Dock Buster Merc, ugly to the bone. The guy told me some guy came along and without any dickering offerd him 5k, he near had a heart attact and sold it. That thing layed along side the guys garage for 10-12 years, who wuda thunk!

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
06-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Ed Donnelly:
Modern is better, but why not have the best of both worlds. My 72 Pantera has all the upgrades,rect. headlights,better suspension, better fans etc. etc. BUT I have all the original parts stored. If the new buyer wants,he can put it back to original. Ed: I don't think the Pantera is a good example for the original vs. improved debate. These cars as originally sold, had so many problems due to a lack of development that they were a real adventure to own. Remember, they cut a lot of corners to keep the selling price below $10K.
When one buys a Pantera these days, one usually joins one of the two main clubs and is quickly brought up to speed on the laundry list of updates that have become standard practice on these cars.
The end result is that a pristine original Pantera is no more desirable or valuable than one that has been sorted out. Certainly NOT the case with most collectable "Big Three" muscle cars that have had the benefit of large R&D programs.

FR :p

harbormaster
06-21-2003, 06:50 PM
I think what a lot of you forget is that you can easily pop a mold off of an X18 and forge these boats very easily. Just ask Lenny.
Also the old ones had no hull numbers.

Try reproducing a camaro body in your back yard with a welder and sheet metal. Yeah you can build a fake 69 z28 but the numbers will not match

Or try building a wooden triple hatch hacker with a bunch of lumber. It can be done but the new ones cost as much as the old ones.

Do you see the difference??

ALSO there is NOT much to these small boats.

Motor/outdrive/Fiberglass hull and Upholstered plywood seats.

You might pay a premium for a bench seat hornet of corsican but not an 18 or 16. And that is only because they did not make very many of them.

Another example is Ol' Reds Pescador. Which is worth more? An orginal or his? His of course. Because it can be used. Because of its updates his boats potential has been fully realized.

In conclusion the only all original boat that will skyrocket in value is one that is kept indoors with a 500 piece classic car collection and never used.

It will never ever be a worthwhile investment unless it is one you can take out and enjoy. They WILL though continue to hold their value and will appreciate with the new boat market.
How many 1970 era 16-18 ft boats still sell for 10k or higher?

My 2 cents

Last Tango
06-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Just 'cause it is old and original and now rare, doesn't make it collectable (an original AMC Pacer or a nicely restored and modified GTO? More GTO's made than Pacers). Yes, there is a market for that Pacer - car collecting is a BIG hobby with MILLIONS of potential players. But there has to be a demand, and a special mystique about it (The Pacer is collecible to a few AMC fanatics - the Corvette fans are legion. Millions of kids wanted a '67 427 Corvette or 396 Camero, 389 GTO, whatever). They were a nasty drive, even when new - but the generation of the time wanted them. Most could not afford them. They wanted them then and they NOW have the money to buy them despite bad handling, bad brakes, poor assembly quality, lots of problems, and lousy A/C.
How many young kids are walking around the docks looking to catch a glimpse of a Donzi Classic? They like them well enough when they see them, but they don't stalk the dealerships at night hoping to see a fresh delivery in progress. Today's kids want SKI boats and Japanese pocket rockets - and they will want THOSE in 20 or 30 years.
And you can buy a NEW Donzi Classic 18 the way you want it. Can't buy a NEW '69 Camero the way you want it unless you have it professionally restored. A proper professional resoration will STILL cost more than the gavel price. And getting it the way you want it means deviating from the original factory build sheet. Still, nicely "re-optioned" muscle cars still get 6 to 10 times what they cost new - because there is a broad enough market to accept the changes and BRAND NEW muscle cars cost even MORE!
They don't make wooden boats anymore but the hobby survives, and at Mt. Dora this year, the average age of the owners was equal to the age of the boats. Toy trains are still big - to the generations that grew up with trains as public transportation. Old aircraft are popular to those well-heeled enough to stand the cost of restoration and maintenance. How many of THOSE folks are there? There were plenty more sport and pleasure aircraft built than Donzi's.
Now, if you buy your Donzi new, the way you want it, treat it nice, and you keep it 20 years, you will easily be able to sell it for more than you paid, because in 20 years a new Classic will cost over $100,000 ($40,000 today with a 5% annual rise in price). If it pleases YOU to restore an old Donzi or keep it original - fine. Restoration, maintenance, insurance, fuel, will cost you more than you will ever get in return.
Better to use the boat and enjoy it, than try to save it for someone else to enjoy.
But that is just MY opinion - I could be wrong.
Mark (Supreme SEADOG)

Rick
06-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Nice topic I have pondered many times and even brought it up to the board. I have restored my 1970 twin HM 351 powered GT-21 believed less than 4 built and maybe the only survivor to as original as reasonable. Aluminum tanks vs galvanized, updated fuel delivery system bigger fuel lines, hydraulic steering vs original cable safety.She has original motors, outdrives, instruments, color, stripe, reproduced original interior.The boat would have more curb appeal with bolder stripes brighter colors, flashier interior and gauges. I want the people to appreciate it for what it is. The only people that matters are me and you folks that know Donzi. I definatly did not do it to make any money, it would have been money wise to have sold her on E-Bay, but I didn't have the heart. In a non sacreligeous sort of way I think these boats have souls. I restored mine for posterity and preservation plus I think I do it to have a project going(hobby, and because it's cool! The original price sheets said the big blocks sold for $14,000 in 1970, I would think the twin must have sold for 17 or 18K, within a 1000 dollars of a Ferrari Daytona. If it appreciated like a Daytona, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it back in 1990. By the way sea trials to begin maybe as soon as this weekend. To respond to the question the answer as beauty is with the beholder. P.S. I have yet to see a pre 1980 Donzi for sale that was not advertised as rare, or the ubiquitously rare left hand drive Donzi! Great topic. I like hearing from you guys that have forgotten more about Donzi than I know. It's people like you that give these boats value. Value doesn't come from the vehicle, but from the people that care about the vehicle.I don't see a website for old Cigs, Scorpions, Glastrons, or Formulas. Maybe they don't last as long... maybe not as many people care as much about the other makes... maybe they don't have as much soul. Rick

1996Z15
06-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Wow I am glad that this topic received such a large response because it had shed some light on how everyone feels about these beautiful boats. I am not really concerned with resale value because I honestly don't intend to sell my boat. I was really wondering if there was a following for restored classics similar to what the old Chris-Craft guys have going. As finances become available to me I do intend to refresh my boats appearance and I do hope to improve it's performance but I will not be doing anything that can not be easily returned to stock.
I am extremely thankful to have a forum such as the one we have here to learn about these boats from people that feel like I do about them.

Islander
06-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Rick,

Excellent post and eloquently put. You managed to sum up my feelings exactly. Your mention of the soul of the boat was perfect.

After yearning for a Donzi for a long time, I now have what is of much greater value to me than what I could potentially make in the future by selling it for a profit. The thought of looking at my boat as an investment would take away from my enjoyment of it. To me it's the equivalent of owning art, you buy it because you love it and you want to live with it, and unless you’re an art dealer, the return on investment is irrelevant. The big advantage of these pieces of art over other art forms though, is that it's hard to run a painting or a sculpture over the ocean at 60 mph.

So...while I'll keep mine as original as practically possible, I also intend turn run the hell out of it. And when something breaks, as mechanical things inevitably do, I’ll have few misgivings in upgrading to a contemporary component if that’s what’s going make the boat perform better.

Please post some pics of your boat, I would love to see them, sounds terrific.

1996Z15

Ditto on the thanks to the Harbourmaster, and to everyone who participates in it. I now get to share the experience and learn a hell of a lot.

Manny

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF101E.jpg

JimG
06-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Great topic!

My $.02… I’m not a purist, not a collector, nor am I a speculator on the worth of these wonderful boats. My 1970 Donzi is not for sale, and will probably never be. :)

The worth of my Donzi is not in it’s resale value, nor it’s collectability. (Nothing wrong with collecting them though…) It’s the grin it brings to my face, and the sense of nostalgia I feel when I’m in it. When I sit in the driver’s seat looking out over the original gel-coat, all I see is 1970 hardware. It’s a little pockmarked with age, some is slightly corroded and there are a few stress cracks in the gel. But, it’s as it was when it left the factory 33 years ago. That’s what is important to me. (No knock intended to folks who restore their boats, it just isn’t me…) For me, it’s a time machine.

When I’m driving it I’m hearing the same sounds, and enjoying the same view as the first buyer all those long years ago. How far ahead of their time these Donzis were! Look at what Century and Glastron were building in those days. (Not knocking these either, they are way cool too!) They definitely did not have the breathtaking good looks of a classic Donzi. The hull design is race oriented, the interiors are straight from Shelby’s Cobra, the sound is soul stirring. Donzis we built to be the best in the world, and to me they still are.

I consider myself lucky to have fallen in love with the Donzi, and not with a Cobra/Ferrari/Corvette. I’m able to enjoy an era, and a heritage, without spending my life savings. And the design is as pure, and simple, as a 1960’s race car. Nothing but seats, a steering wheel, a body and a big honking loud engine. (Not to mention, I’d be scared to death to park a Cobra ANYWHERE! A door ding would ruin your whole year!)

In my eyes Don was as important a figure as Carroll Shelby, measured in impact on his industry. Maybe much more influential than Shelby. Look at any go-fast boat… squint a little, and there it is: they all go straight back to the original Formulas in hull design. And in turn, the Donzis. Shelby Cobras are strictly vintage pieces. (Cool, though!) But, not much of a force in their marketplace. Go-fast, ocean-racer, deep-vees are THE boat to have these days…thanks to Don Aronow.

While not a purist, I’ll not modernize my Donzi. The drivetrain will stay as original as I can keep it. The gelcoat will never be painted, or re-done. (I did have to replace the gauges, but I stayed as original in appearance as I could. And I added a kill switch…) To me it’s a symbol of a simpler time, and brings back tons of memories.

A lot of folks would see my Donzi as a good starting point for a restoration, with it’s faded gelcoat and stress cracks. To me, it’s just about right.

JimG

EricG
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
This is an interesting discussion.

As far as values. Donzi values are really rather interesting to look at. Are any of these boats really worth that much? Sure, a lot of the older boats are selling for more than they sold for new. But they are still comparatively inexpensive compared to new boats. Case in point, $20,000 is really not that much when you are talking about a new boat. I mean, a 22' Baylier costs that these days....but the absolutely most sought after Donzi, the Bench Seat Hornet, recently sold for well under that in what sounds like pretty original condition. When you look at the collector value of Cars, you see cars selling for 2,3, or more times the cost of a comperable new car...but with Donzi's, age more than any other factor, seems to determine the value. Even the most collectable Donzi's (Hornets, Spitfire's, Criterions, etc) will still sell for a lot less than the cost of a new 22, or maybe even a new 18. Are the values of the older Donzi's really going up, or are the values simply following the rate of inflation?

I love the older classic's, I really want to pick one up (anyone know of any good deals under 10k?), but I think the age, condition, and equipment impact the value far more than the "originality".

One other thought...I would really love to see the SELLING price of a lot of these boats that we see listed. I've been trying to figure out a way to do an Anonymous survey of Asking Price vs. Selling Price....anyone have any ideas? I see lots of 16's and 18's listed in the $15 to $20k range, but they don't seem to be selling. How many of them are going to sell for $10 to $15k?

Anyway...just my senseless ramblings....

-EG
WOW - 400 posts finally :)

harbormaster
06-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Last year the selling market was great. This year it sucks. Lots of boats for sale bit no one is buying. Probably the economy.

06-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Harbormaster:
Last year the selling market was great. This year it sucks. Lots of boats for sale bit no one is buying. Probably the economy. Interesting that you should say that. I seem to recall some very good deals last year that languished for quite awhile before some lucky buyer snatched them up. Perhaps I was paying attention to different price strata.
Another thing that might be happening in the market, thanks in part to this site, is that potential buyers are becoming more educated about the various different models, and are therefore more particular about which vintage boat they're looking for. Whereas, in the recent past, any Donzi 18 footer would do, now some buyers are looking for certain features and are just waiting for the exact right boat to come up for sale.
I know I am.

Marlin275
06-26-2003, 02:15 PM
now some buyers are looking for certain features and are just waiting for the exact right boat to come up for sale.
I know I am.
FR Which one?

06-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Well Marlin, I've got a thing for barrel-backs. I'm working on a deal for one right now, but if that one falls through, I've got a couple backup boats that I'm also considering.