PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Surfer
07-31-2002, 07:37 AM
Tryin' to get the feel of my new 18. Right after it gets out of the water, and right before plane she wants to yaw either side. If I turn to correct she flops over to the other side. The feel is like no other boat I've owned (but then again I've never owned a Donzi). Any suggestions?

mattyboy
07-31-2002, 07:53 AM
I would check play in the drive/steering first.

Matt

FASTEDDIE
07-31-2002, 08:13 AM
sounds like a trim tab problem

Ralph Savarese
07-31-2002, 08:37 AM
Merc Or Volvo

Formula Jr
07-31-2002, 11:46 AM
Yep, check the little fin on the base of the anti-ventilation plate. Bet its loose and flipping around.

Surfer
07-31-2002, 02:43 PM
It's a Volvo 270, not much play in the steering, but I did notice a mounting hole mid cavatation plate with nothing mounted. what am I missing?

Surfer
07-31-2002, 02:44 PM
It's a Volvo 270, not much play in the steering, but I did notice a mounting hole mid cavatation plate with nothing mounted. what am I missing?

nasty habit
07-31-2002, 06:05 PM
should be a small skeg on the bottom approx 3 inches from the end of the cav plate ..which is thru bolted from the top of the plate ...volvo calls it a "trim tab"

MOP
07-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Try putting the drive hard over to the right, this will have the cable fully extended. Have some one put thier foot against it holding it while you move the wheel side to side. You will have about 2-4 inches of free play if the cable is pretty tight, if you are doing 5-6 inches I would change it out. Make sure all the slack is in the cable, you may find more other places. Volvo has quite a few spots that can get worn over time. The missing tab should have no effect at low speed and not a heck of alot at higher speeds. Alot of guys pull them off but I think is hurts preformance just a tad as the water flow helps to pull some of the exhaust out if you are not running through hull.

mattyboy
07-31-2002, 08:32 PM
Fasteddie is right, he is always right,
the trim tab he refers to is what I call the sacrafical anode, but it is a trim tab :D not the one's that go up and down, but side to side Danielson , that's the only anode on my boat mines a 250, i would get one just for corrosion sake, do remember reading some where where you can adjust the "fin" to compensate for left or right torque steering.

see ya in sept Fasteddie

Matt

MOP
08-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Guys its a Volvo 270 that was the exhaust outlet part# 832580-5 it is aluminum with a rubber flapper. Due to its wide profile it had very little effect on torque it was better left straight aft. The zinc is bolted to the bottom of the transom shield. If you are running through hull exhaust you might be able to retrofit a tab off an Merc or OMC to help with torque steer.

THESCOOTER
08-02-2002, 05:08 PM
the volvos have a just ok steering. check if you have play i just changed two of mine. l. the steering yoke through the transom plate should betight no play at all change bushings . 2 helmut should be tight A.replace bushings B. i shimmed my with rub under the helmet is really good.3 trim fin for steering helps alot. my drives have alittle play now may be 1/4" to 1/2" play . do you have trim tabs also. they help. there are other locations, look at these first let me know good luck. the scooter