PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Flush Option

FJB20
09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Most New Boats that I Have Seen Have the Fresh Water flush option. I Boat in salt water. How beneficial is this option. Seen many posts that salt water and 500 hrs it's time for a new motor.
Wondering What others think and is it worth the money. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary
09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
If you boat in salt water you should be flushing your boat after use. The flush kit is a great option to have. It makes it easier. Otherwise use muffs and run your boat on a hose. I also bought a Guardian flush system for my boat. Worth the money in my opinion. I run the boat on the muff for 10 min. then I run the hose on the Guardian while I'm washing the boat.

Ed Donnelly
09-05-2003, 02:34 PM
The system is called a Perko flush pro.. I asked the same question last night and less than 12 hrs later with the help of the board members, I had my answer...Ed

knee deep
09-05-2003, 05:50 PM
I installed the MST Guardian System when I restored my 18, my mechanic absolutely swears by it and it retails for around $300. mstguardian (http://www.mstguardian.com)

Donzigo
09-05-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm no authority on this one; but, I have boated in salt water for 33 years. My experience tells me that flushing each engine on full open water pressure of water hose, usually 40lbs sq. in. in St. Pete, for 10 FULL MINUTES is the way to go. The exhaust manifolds seem to go after 300 hours or 3 years, no matter how I flush them. A while back, I have begun to flush my engines with 1/2 cup of JOY in the hose, first. Makes plenty of suds, out the back. I think CUDA taught me that trick, can't remember. But, it seems to work pretty well.

FYI - My mechanic tells me that he has seen engines go as much as 3,000 hours in salt, if they are used every day, such as in the case of beach parachute operations. Not sure about tha myself; but, it seems like it could be true. What does anyone think about this claim?

knee deep
09-07-2003, 01:30 PM
UPDATE; We started the old orange monster yesterday it has been sitting for over 10 years. I did install the MST Guardian it acts as a pressure/diaphragm pump and is hosed through the risers and into the cooling jackets on the side of the block. It has check valves on the lines. I'm no plumber and don't know if my explanation makes any sense but I have to tell you I was pretty impressed by the amount of crap that got washed out of a motor thats been sitting for 10 years. I'm more sold than ever........