PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 22zx post pic/ speed/ props

Donzi22zx
07-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Hello my name is Bill Forenski and i just bought a Donzi 22zx 1999 model year with a 454 mag./ bravo one drive with a Mirage plus 23p prop. I have had other Donzis in the past, I had a 1998 18 classic with a 350 mag in it which i loved but it was too small so i bought this boat. I have added new exhaust tips without mufflers, and a K&N air filter, plus gauge bezels. The boat has run 76.8 on GPS so far. I am planning to add aftermarket headers and a procharger over the winter. Please tell me about your 22zx.
Thanks Bill
P.S. Has anyone added the
Gaffrig zero effort control pod to this model boat.

Dr. Dan
07-31-2002, 05:24 AM
Bill, Welcome! :D The resident 22ZX authorities here are Frank Civitano(shanghied again),Lil Griz and Bryan Tuvell..they have lots of knowledge of that speedy hull and of course there are others on the registry here with a wealth of knowledge wink Good Luck with your ZX!...Doc

Tomahawk
07-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Welcome Bill - your boat seems to be running very well. Just out of curiousity, what gear ratio is your Bravo I drive and what rpm are you turning to get that speed? Thanks.

Scubado
07-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a 2000 22ZX with the 350 Mag and Alpha. It's been my experience that our boats run best with a 4 blade prop. Is that Mirage plus 23p a three blade? A lot of us have the Bravo I 24P. It seems to work best for me anyway. It seems our boats have a problem with blow out, unless they have the right prop. I blame it on the aggressive step. I also have a 21p four blade prop that I use for water skiing. It had to be tweeked (they cupped the tips) to reduce blow out but it works great now, awesome hole shot and incredible midrange torque. That prop tops out at about 55mph. I was happily surprised to find the the ZX make a great little ski boat.

76.8 mph is very impresive for that boat. I run at around 60 to 63 most of the time, I have seen numbers in 65 mph range but thats a world away from 75. Have fun and be safe, let me know if you have any other questions. Oh, one more thing. Never turn your boat really tight at high speed unless you have the drive trimmed up at least half way. If you don't you could hook and spin. This is not something to experiment with when you have a boat load of people.

Jeff

mattyboy
07-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Welcome Bill,
enjoy this is a great forum

Matt

DonziNorth
07-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Hello all, My name is Grant and I am a new member. This post is of particular interest to me as I too have a 22ZX, 502 Mag, Bravo 1 drive and Bravo 1 24P. I purchased the boat new but have put on very few hours. Over the years, many, I have owned a dozen performance boats but must say that I am impressed with this Donzi. Last year was the first time it ever saw water and unfortunately it only ran for some 8 hours. This year has been much better and to date another 12 hours has been added to the clock. Being in Canada our boating season is very limited however, we do have many more Donzi trips planned. As far as I know, we are the only Donzi in Alberta Canada and the number of Donzi's in Western Canada can probably be counted on one hand. I therefore viewed this post with interest. To date the best performance has been 73.8 mph on GPS with two people and half a tank of fuel at 5050 rpm. I am considering going to a 26P Lab finished Bravo 1. Any ideas.

Tidbart
07-31-2002, 03:34 PM
I was speaking with one of the factory guys, last week. We were talking about the new 22zx's. He said they were not putting big blocks in those boats any longer. The largest engine now available is the 350 mag. He mentioned the blowout issue previously posted. He said the handling became more difficult with the higher HP motors. (just a point of information) Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say anything derogatory. I have no personal experience with this boat, I have an 18 classic. I guess what I am saying is to get used to the handling of this boat as it is not like like most others. Good luck with your new Donzis and welcome. The more the merrier

t-man
07-31-2002, 03:53 PM
Welcome Bill. I am also fairly new to donzi.net. I have a 1997 22zx (pre stepped hull)with the 502 MAG MPI running a 23P Mirage Plus. I too have been looking for a different prop because it seems I have more motor than prop (5200RPM and not WOT). It's good to meet some other 22zx fans!

Shanghied Again
07-31-2002, 05:02 PM
Bill first of all welcome to the board, Please don't take me the wrong way but I have so much knowledge with the 22 ZX,HP to speed prop sizeing that the 385 h/p will take the 22 ZX with a 23 pitch prop to 66mph maybe 67 on a good day. I had a 454/510hp supercharged with a 30 pitch at 5000 rpms and ran 77 solid mph. The best I ever hit was 81 on a cold day with 1-2 ft chop to lift the boat and the boat was a handful. It takes 200 hp to move that boat 10mph. The only other prop that works well on that boat is a Bravo 1 24 pitch but you will loose 1 mph off the top. You will have a better hole shot and mid range with a 4 blade but the 3blade will give you better top end. The 22ZX is a heavy boat for her size. Thats why the boat is better in rough water then many. I ran a lot of poker runs with her and she never disapointed me. I wish you the best and again welcome to the board!

Shanghied Again
07-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Donzi North a 26 Pitch prop you will loose to much 400 rpms that will make that 502 dog out. Instaed of gaining speed you will be loosing. Try a K+N air filter better exhaust and more air in the compartment. I ran a 3" Dryer hose from my rear port to the air Intake on my engine. You want that 502 to just about hit the rev limiter 5200, Your speed is almost on the money for your 415HP. Like I said I had 510HP with a lab finished 30pitch and i was at 77 mph. Mike Miller from Donzi was with me in Kentucky and we seen 79 GPS and that was one of my better speeds.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-31-2002, 07:45 PM
DONZI22ZX
She sounds awesome, with those numbers leave her be! Very impressive.
I owned a 1999, 350 mag, ran a 24P Bravo I and averaged about 64 in the chop. 23P did not work for me, yes it was 2 mph faster but preformed poorly compared to a 4 blade.
Allot of good advice above. Most have said it all.
Good Luck....
Bryan

Lil Grizz
08-01-2002, 12:48 AM
I am with frank on the whole speed thing here. It would take somthing like 500+hp to push one of these boats above the 75mph range. 76.8mph sounds very high(or is it the 77.8mph as said in your sig?) unless the engine is modified. Is the engine modified? Do you have trim tabs? What RPM are you at when you hit these speeds?

For comparison my 1999 22zx runs 62gps (90+degree air temp)at about 4500rpm(avg)in a nice chop and half a tank of gas. Although I dont notice a difference in speed with more gas the ride is rougher. Its a bit slower on smooth water but not very. My engine is the 310php/7.4 with a 1.5 bravo spinning a bravo 24p. My recomended redline is 4600-4800 and i intend to stay within that area but the mag engine has a higher redline(wish I had the magnum).

A friend has a 2000 22zx with the 350 mag and an alpha drive. His boat was neither faster nor slower running next to me. He popped on a plane faster but he seemed to have a harder time maintaing speed when the water got rougher.

I tried a ton of props on my boat. Of those props the bravo 24p was the best all around. The three blades i tried wouldnt get up on a plane most of the time, actually only one did and i had to use all my tabs and slowly accelerate just to do it. I also ran a hydromotive 4-blade prop and it seemed to be great for top speed but was seriously lacking on "bite". Unless someone brings you a three blade prop to try I wouldnt waste my time going out of my way to get one.

If your zx is truely running above the 75mph mark on stock powertrain I wouldnt touch it.

RICPAZ
08-01-2002, 08:14 AM
I have a 1999 22zx with the 502 Magnum. I have a Bravo-1 four blade prop that I had lab-finished (not sure of the pitch) The boat also has straight-thru hull exhaust (no quick & quiet, captain's call, etc., low water pick-up Bravo-1 performance outdrive, trim tabs and hydraulic assist steering. The boat will top out @ 81 mph on a good day. I have just put on a K&N air intake that I will test out this weekend to see if I see any performance gains. The 22zx is an awesome boat especially with the big blocks. Too bad Donzi won't offer these engines in her anymore but I guess its a liability thing. The boat could be a handful, but once you learn how to properly drive her, it is a blast. She runs real fast on the calm rivers and lakes but tends to "porpoise" above 73-75 mph. I think she runs best on the ocean in two foot waves. That is where the challenge comes in and is the most fun. Over three foot waves becomes a little much and you get pounded pretty bad.

Unfortunately I'm trying to sell her. I want to go slightly bigger (maybe a 26 or 28zx) to handle the bigger waves we normally get around here in Long Island Sound. All in all, I couldn't have been happy with a 22 foot boat.
-Rich

RICPAZ
08-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Oops, my bad... I mean I couldn't have been happier with a 22 foot boat.

Also, those speeds I am running at WOT is basically at the rev limiter, just shy of 5200rpm.
I will check on the pitch of my prop tonight to let you guys know.
-Rich

RICPAZ
08-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Here are some pics.
-Rich

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ricpaz5.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ricpaz2.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ricpaz3.jpg http://www.donzi.net/photos/ricpaz4.jpg

AllenF
08-01-2002, 03:05 PM
I have a 2000 22zx with a 502 (merlin heads,cam,CMI Headers, ASM ecu and short runner intake, air filter). It runs 73 GPS 5100 rpm with a labbed 26 at 3000 feet. To get the 22zx to not porpoise on calm water you have to "play" with the trim limits. Good luck and be sure to trim out for turns.

harbormaster
08-01-2002, 06:09 PM
All you new guys should go to the registry page and enter your boats into the registry. I will add your photos for you.

GEOO
08-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Rich,

I live in Fairfield, Where do you do your boating?

Hardonzi
08-01-2002, 07:46 PM
I`m right there with Bryan,speed wise.I run a 24p Bravo 1 with a 350 Mag. Alpha and the boat cruizes all day on $50.00.I run it most of the time at 62-64 and handles chop better then anything out there in it`s class.I`ts for sale if anyone intrested E-mail me and I`ll send pics.I`m trying to move up to the 33ZX,but gotta sell it first.I`m not gonna play the game of having one on order and trying to sell one before delivery.Boat is totally loaded with Poker Run Grahics. trailer and boat just had full PMI,and ready to ROCK.2001 22ZX with a tandem Performance aluminum trailer Mags. and flush kit built in. :D

RICPAZ
08-02-2002, 09:06 AM
Long Island Sound. I launch out of Stratford on the Housatonic River. WHat about you?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-02-2002, 09:13 AM
HARDONZI, why not find a dealer who will buy it out right like I did, some dealers do have cash flow, not many, but some, and then he sold it to a BB member and surely made a second profit.

That is the only way we do business on boats.
My buddy just did the same thing, clear title, you own it, now I will order a 33.....
I have a friend who did what you said, he will own that brokered boat forever, still making payments on it and has not seen it in a year!
I'll be damned if I would do that! TOO RISKY.
Just food for thought.
Good luck, we wish you the best.
Bryan

Paul Storti
08-02-2002, 06:39 PM
hey everybody,

I have a 1999 22ZX with the 7.4mpi 310hp I run 63 on gps 65 on a cold day in Jan by myself but that was only once, I have a bravo 1 24p and run 63 at 4600rpm. Lately I have only been getting 4400rpm and 60 mph so I have to figure out what happened. I might just have to much stuff in the boat, I started carrying a set of tools and a spare impeller, thermostat, and sea water pump after being stuck a few times. For a little boat it handles pretty good but you need to be going with the wind (and be a little nuts) otherwise you get pounded. I was out the other day in the ocean going 40-50mph in 4-6ft waves with the wind off miami beach I spent half the time in the air it was awesome. The only problem was my passenger seat spider broke right off the post, Donzi really should put some bolsters in the boat those bucket seats are useless. I like my boat but I to am going to move up to the 28.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/paulstorti2.jpg

z22owner
08-03-2002, 09:46 PM
I have also just purchased a '99 z22 with a 350 mag. that has only 40 hrs. The boat is spotless. I dont plan on doing much to it except gaffrig gauges and possibly zero effort controls. I havent priced them yet.

Have a pic if interested. Email me.

z22owner