PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion on an 18' Classic

Long Island Boater
07-30-2002, 07:32 PM
I thinking about buying an 1987 18' Donzi with a 350 chevy motor and mercruiser outdrive, but the boat needs a little work. It needs exhaust manifolds/risers, starter, new skeg welded on outdrive, gelcoat stripes are badly faded, bottom paint has to be removed, and the boat has hardly ever been flushed in its 15 years of salt water use. Boat is solid, interior is usable and does come with an updated galvenized trailer. It could be a nice boat with a little money and elbow grease, but i wanted to know what you Donzi board members think its worth. Thanks in advance,Rob

Bug
07-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Sounds a lot like a Donzi I once bought. It needed an engine rebuild,new manifolds and risers,rebuilt starter, altenator,power steering,
and outdrive rebuilt (by other)all other work was done by me.The hull I sanded with 400, 600, micro
sand, compound,finish compound,wax (colinites).It
was a 18" 1986 2+3, 350 magnum, 4"exhaust,and
very fast! W/trailer. 7500.00
Hope this helps and Good luck.

tailwind
07-31-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi Rob:

If you take the time to look around on this board and also Boattrader.com, you can and will find some really sweet deals!

I was able to pick up a 91 18 for less than 10 K in Destin FL, where alongside a 95 without a windshield, and an alpha drive went for 18.5K. My boat has less than 100 hrs. Point is if you look around, and have a few months , you can save mucho $$

Patience is the key, and although some have reservations considering the OMC years, I have this to say: Harley Davidson was bought out by AMC in perhaps depression years (Carter) The bottom line is that the DONZI company survives today! I do wonder today if OMC had not taken over this company, with all of there might, would it indeed exist today?

Donzigo
07-31-2002, 01:01 AM
The good news: DONZI's never go out of style, you're buying into a boating lifestyle like no other. :cool: :cool: :cool:

The bad news: You're a long way from actually getting on the water, sounds like to me. 15 years of salt water and no flushing = new engine. I hardly think that a rebuild of that powerplant would work, if your statement is true. My 2-cents.

What's it worth? You've come to the right place. You'll get lots of information. I can't tell you, I'm a "Z-guy", but, lots of others will.

harbormaster
07-31-2002, 07:10 AM
I waited with money in hand and bought a 95 in great shape without a trailer for just above 10k.

itemize what everything is going to cost and then put a dollar figure on your time. Total it up and see if it looks like a good deal. You have to ask yourself " Do I want to work on a boat or drive a boat?"

Does it run? I'd Offer them 6k and see how pissed they get. All they can say is no.

Surfer
07-31-2002, 07:23 AM
I just purchaesed a cherry 1985 (350 / volvo) with trailer for $9000 in south Florida. There are definitly deals out there, sounds like alot of work for $7500.

tmdog
07-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Bought a 88 Dozi 18' for 6500.00. Engine fried missing interior, gauges hanging out of the dash and a rusted out trl. in So. Fl. What a mistake. My advice is wait, there are better deals. After 2 yrs. still miserable and broker. Someday I'll have it like prime. Only if the wife would stop bitch'n about me spending the pension check. I think it for a good cause. What do you guys think?

Formula Jr
07-31-2002, 11:21 AM
A mid-level restore boat like this will give you alot of grief. If it was not kept up, you are looking at alot of defered maintainance: In this case, most likely replacement that may extend far beyond the engine. Some people just use boats up till there isn't much left, and rigged things up to keep it going. There are plenty of sub 11k 18s out there that were taken care of, the owners just moved up to bigger boats. Its a Buyers Market now anyway. The words "Bottom Paint" should have made you wince...... :D

MLerner
07-31-2002, 02:06 PM
For what it's worth, I bought a '93 classic 18 last year in Mass that was very clean for under 9 (with trailer). She has bottom paint on her(darn!)but, outside of that, she was turn-key ready. There are deals out there if you wait -- and, with the stock market the way it is, it's definitely a buyers market.

Long Island Boater
07-31-2002, 10:04 PM
First i want to thank everyone for thier advice. Well it looks like i'm going to be a Donzi owner in a few days. I took Habormasters advice and offered him $5500 (he wanted $7500). He did'nt look happy and said he would have to think about it. Six hours later i got the phone call, and he asked me if i would give him $6000 for the boat and trailer. I agreed, stopped at the ATM machine, and gave him a deposit. I will be picking it up in a few days, and will post pictures of my new project. Thanks again, Rob

oldLenny
07-31-2002, 10:46 PM
Formula Junior. What do you mean "people just use their boats up until there isn't much left"?
:p Geeez! :p

...where have I heard that before?... wink

Formula Jr
07-31-2002, 10:55 PM
auk..,,auuuhmmm,,,aaaahh, aheeee, ahhaaaaaa..... :D

Guilty as charged.... wink