PDA

View Full Version : Cleaver or Mirage???

Boat_Mon
07-30-2002, 06:58 PM
If your putting them on the same motor, having the same pitch, which one performs better? any specific unique characteristics of either? I'm looking to buy my backup prop but want to explore options. (backup could become primary at any time!)

Rootsy
07-30-2002, 07:44 PM
my 16 prefers the cleaver over the mirage any day of the week... but that is my 16... your setup is quite a bit different... Mr. Lovins would be your best bet on prop opinion, he has tried a few. He's a local michigander with an 86 18, modified ZZ4 and an alpha SS... that is quite impressive...

Boat_Mon
07-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Mr. Lovins.......where are you???

Sam
07-31-2002, 05:33 PM
Test,test and test again ! every prop is different and then throw in water conditions, weight, weather ect you get my point I'm sure. I have a couple of Mirage's (21" & 23"} you can test if you want.

Sam

Boat_Mon
07-31-2002, 06:16 PM
I have a Mirage currently that has been labbed and blueprinted my Mazco. I'm looking to possibly buy a Cleaver. From what I understand it should give me some more top end. I'm just not sure that given the X-dimension on my Alpha SS is enough to keep it in the water. Anyone have a 23P Cleaver RH they want to loan for a weekend??

Rootsy
07-31-2002, 08:15 PM
Boat_mon...

I have a 14 1/2 x 23 RH mercury cleaver on my boat right now... you are welcome to try it when we all get together next month! if you are spinning a 23 mirage right now chances are you may require more pitch with the cleaver since it has less blade area and diameter, etc... i can spin the 23 cleaver faster than i could spin my 21 mirage and it is 4 1/2 mph faster too... cleavers also like a bit of air from my understanding... ie. semi-surfacing propeller

Boat_Mon
07-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Actually, my Mirage is a 21" that has been thinned, cupped, and the trailing edge slightly textured (roughed) to prevent slippage and grab water harder. Supposedly it is performing like a 23" pitch prop at higher speed and a 21" prop at lower due to the trailing cup away from the hub. Anyhow, given my boats set up, I think the cleaver would push it to the max. I hate to take a day of fun and turn it into a Prop de-bockle if something were to happen. I'll try to do some testing prior to our get together. Thank you very much for the offer though, it is appreciated. If I get my cleaver prior to our get together I'll bring my Mirage and let you have a go with it. That way, if it spins off, we both still have means to get to the bar! :D

Rootsy
07-31-2002, 09:35 PM
really boat_mon, if you want to try the cleaver be my guest. it doesn't have to be a whole day of testing just swap and make a run or two to see how you like it... i am gonna bring my extra prop (QS2000) anyway so all will be well if something does happen for some reason which it won't...

besides... chance are i MAY need more pitch anyway so it might go up for sale... :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot016.jpg

Boat_Mon
07-31-2002, 09:44 PM
Well twist my arm..............

Rootsy
08-01-2002, 10:35 AM
it's OSMOSIS!!!!! :D

but i DO need to get another hose clamp!!!

and a shifter linkage bracket and and and and and... wink

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot015.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot017.jpg

Boat_Mon
08-01-2002, 02:21 PM
ooooh boy, after seeing that I need to get a whole bunch......... frown

Doug L.
08-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Here I am,
Sorry I have been busy
I am running a 4 blade Hydromotive 15 dia. 22P
for and all around prop it's like a round ear cleaver I can tube and ski with it and still run
70 mph when the sherif not around. I do have a 23p
Mirage that might be faster but the difference in the handling and vibration when it is trimed out is something I never noticed until I used a 4 blade. A cleaver prop should work better the closer it is to the surface. I would kike to try
a 25 or 26 cleaver I have been thinking of getting a new prop just for fun!
Boat_mon Email me at home if you want how is your SS doing with the weeds!!
Jamie your engine looks great I hope to pull mine out clean things up this winter.
Doug

Boat_Mon
08-02-2002, 09:19 PM
The SS drive is doing well.....all weeds considered. I haven't run into any drifts of sea grass yet. Are you running an SS? had any problems?

MOP
08-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Boy that looks so sanitary, very nice job. I hope you post the finished shots.

Riley
08-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Jamie, that is some beautiful work! Looks like she might have the ooooomph you've been looking for.

A couple of questions: Are you still running the Alpha? Also, what brand and where did you get those awesome exhaust manifolds? Did you keep the Corsa silencer tips?

I am definitley going to be ringing you up when I re-power!

Nice job.....Chris

Rootsy
08-03-2002, 12:29 PM
yes riley i still have the Gen II hanging off the back with the 23 cleaver *praying to the alpha gods*... and now 370ish hp (previously 320ish hp) under the hatch... YES!!! i know this is right on the ragged edge... but alas i could not resist, maybe i am just INSANE! i have accepted and come to terms with the risks and i would love to move to an alpha SS in the future, maybe next year after i play with the hull and cg a bit. the ride was crazy when you hammered it before, i wonder what it'll be like now since i havn't had it in the water yet? i still have 2 or 3 things to do to it yet to finish it off... like i have a loose secondary throttle shaft suckin air :( and a special pair of valve covers on the way to finish it off with some class and i need to come up with a new K&N setup since the little zenith can't possibly hope to allow enough air through for the motor... but hatch clearance is at a premium at the moment... and i am avoiding the router on the hatch step. finished photos WILL follow wink

as for the exhaust... nothing special or exotic... just imco SS mercruiser risers on stock cast iron boat anchor manifolds *can you say HERNIA*. i got a helluva good deal on these, which are danged near brand spankin new and that's the only reason they are under the hatch cause they cost 650 / pair new + shipping from flatlander racing and cp performance. if you go right to imco they are 750 / pair... if i was gonna spend that i'd just go complete stainless marine for another 500 - 600. i mounted the shifter linkage along side the starboard manifold out of the way to tidy things up a bit... i still have the corsa coffee cans hangin on the back although i'd love to swap em for some straight cut 4 inch ends with internal flappers. just to get the coppers attention ya know wink

ZF-Mac
08-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Hey Jamie,

I have a 67 16 ski sport. Getting ready to cut the transom. How high is your X dim. I am worried about hatch clearance also. I am running a Gen II also.

tm

Rootsy
08-03-2002, 08:19 PM
my X is stock from the factory.. havn't changed a thing back there yet... and i doubt i will... other than maaaaybe an SS :D

Rootsy
08-04-2002, 07:45 PM
welllll here's the first shakedown run with the third generation of my motor... i have no idea what rpm i was at since i was watchin the gps. kinda ended at this photo since the temperature buzzer started hollaring at me. Think i am a little on the lean side :rolleyes:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jaroot036.jpg