PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cushions Always Wet

bgagne
09-04-2003, 07:15 AM
Is there anyone that is able to keep their front and back seat bottom cushions dry? I can never seam to get mine to dry out between uses.

Is Bilt Rite still using the same foam, or do they have somothing now that does not hold so much water?

Rodger
09-04-2003, 08:23 AM
If you let water get on them, they will be wet. I don't allow any sitting on the seats until one has dried off and then, that person must sit on a towel. I've tried wrapping the foam in a plastic bag but it still seems to absorb moisture. Even with the foam wrapped in plastic, the .25" foam that is sewed into the pleats will still get wet. With over 25 years experiance owning a Donzi with the pleated seats; I've found that dicipline is the only remedy. Keep the water off the seats! Good luck.
P.S. The only way to dry the seats, once they are wet, is to take them apart, turn them inside-out and let the foam and vinyl dry before putting it back together.

MOP
09-04-2003, 08:47 AM
My Built Rites have plastic that is sealed they do not get wet, plus the bottom has webbing to allow drainage. When not in use stand them on edge zipper side down that helps quite a bit.

Barry Phillips
09-04-2003, 03:59 PM
The only time I have ever had wet inner foam is when a passing rain storm dumpe water all over my interior and my cover was in the truck. When I removed the foam from the seat covers to dry them out, there was a very thin blue slip case that the foam fit into. It was very hard to reuse because it was so thin. I got in and out of my 18 wet all the time and never had a problem, just on zip the cover and let the air get at it.

SO-SLO

Zinger
09-04-2003, 06:03 PM
I have the same problem with the rear seat every time i take the boat out for the day the entire seat is water logged ,with two kids and myself swimming it impossible not to get everything wet. Mop is correct with the plastic film inside the seat, this seat cover is taken off after every use to get rid of the water logged foam. Bilt Rite made these seats and i don't believe their is another company that can build a seat as good as they do. Jeff

Murphy
09-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I solved this problem and have posted on it in the past. I admire Bilt-Rite's work, but the foam rubber is too soft for me and the stretch wrap approach does not work.

The solution: I purchased 2" closed-cell foam from an internet supplier. This is the stuff wet suits are made of and is water proof. I cut a double layer of the stuff to the same pattern as my foam rubber. I added a single layer of 1/2" closed cell foam sleeping-bag pad I bought at Wal-Mart to the top layer because it is very soft and more comfortable. The result, no water absorbtion no matter how much it rains or gets dripped on. Another advantage, it's very stable to stand on when getting in and out of the boat. Only disadvantage is it's pretty firm. But when you sit on it for a short time it actually molds to your backside and is more comfortable than the soft foam which bottoms-out in no time leaving you sitting on a hard surface. Getting the closed cell foam into the case is a bit tricky since it's more rigid than the soft foam, but it can be done. Very effective solution in my opinion. I'm sure if a guy looked hard there are various densities of closed cell foam available also to suit your tastes. I think the whole fix was under $100.

Murph

Sea Biscuit
09-09-2003, 11:18 AM
I also have my passengers sit on a towel but they
still will get wet. So I store them up rite still snapped on place letting the drain to to lowest point and that seems to work.

David Ochs
09-09-2003, 01:44 PM
I know it doesn't look as cool or authentic, I had mine upholstered without pleats on the seat bottoms. Seemed to help a lot, also make everyone sit on towels when wet.

knots2u
09-11-2003, 02:11 AM
We have upgraded our foam in the past year to a slightly firmer grade. If you are considering a new interior or just want to replace your old foam please ask about the different types available. We have access to many different types of foam, both open and closed. Upgrading to a closed cell foam on the back bottom cushion(s) makes sense if you have a lot of "foot traffic". Let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

Sincerely,
Bob Ellmann
Bilt-Rite Upholstery

PS: The reason the foam is wrapped in plastic is so it will slide into the vinyl. Without the plastic it is like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper together!

bgagne
09-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Bob,

I will definitely be giving you a call. Keeping the interior dry is not an option. With a 3 year old daughter and several 10-14 year old kids in the family we are always swimming and riding.

I like the closed cell foam idea, what ever they used in my 1998 Formula worked extremelly well. The water seamed to just run through it.

What is your number Bob? I would like to talk to you about getting the back bottom cushion and the two front bottoms done in this type of foam. The interior is in great shape, I will just be needing the foam.

Brian