PDA

View Full Version : Tow info request... 22ZX

Bryan Tuvell
04-18-2001, 06:43 PM
OK, my cover tends to come loose above 55 MPH, locally I only tow a few miles, long trips are a problem. I have good snaps, solid, sealed and dry, I use a pole in the middle that snaps to the center of the cover as designed. The very back center snap is not functional due to the ski eye. I prefer to tow about 62/63 based on RPM of my Grand Cherokee.

I was wondering what I could do short of buying full/tow capable cover prior to the AOTH???

I have thought of adding a gromet on the sides and tying them off or taping the front to keep the air out.

If a full cover is my only out, who is the best online for ordering? I do not want a vinyl pool cover, quality would be a must, but like I said a full cover is my last choice... But I will do what I have to do.
Thanks in advance guys... give me the gouge.

Bryan

Christian
04-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Hi,
As full covers look great i have experienced some draw-backs. When running at speed road grime does get up under the cover, and the cover moves a lot. so i have seen top $$ go fasts with scratched paint b/c of full boat covers.
i would use heavy duty snaps found on navy boats the kind the you have to twist or the ones that you have to pull up to lock on or take off. i hope this helps we all do it a bit different on this site but somethign will work out
stay well, and good luck
Christian

BigGrizzly
04-18-2001, 07:52 PM
Bryan Don't do it. that cover is not a travel cover. It is too loose and will flap and tear apart. No matter what snaps you use this WILL happen. the fact you use a pole tells me its not a travel cover.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 04-18-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
04-18-2001, 08:18 PM
Randy, thank you for your input, I think it is your son with a 22ZX, same cockpit cover as his....

I read an article in DIY Magaizine I think on covers, fabric, thickness etc... but time is wasting... I guess I should have thought and acted sooner.
So Randy and all you Donzi guys that have towable covers who do you recommend?

Thanks Randy. Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
04-18-2001, 08:44 PM
I found the article I read. Now I need to find a cover which meets the needs and delivers on time...
www.goboatingamerica.com/goboating_mag/feb01/covered.asp (http://www.goboatingamerica.com/goboating_mag/feb01/covered.asp)

I look forward to hearing from the guys who tow allotThanks.... Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-18-2001).]

Tom on Lanier
04-18-2001, 09:01 PM
I say , it's not worth the aggravation. I take my cover, put it in the back of the truck and put it on the boat when I get where I'm going. Maybe take the seat cushions out and the drain plug, in case it rains. Any cover I've seen seems to cause more trouble than it's worth if you trailer very far. To each, his own.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Frank Civitano
04-18-2001, 09:07 PM
Bryan, I have the same problem, I have a full cover and it still comes loose. Take Toms advise tow with out. I do!

------------------
Frank Civitano

RickR
04-18-2001, 09:11 PM
Bryan
I bought a custom cover for my 22 from Overtons made of Sunbrella last year ($650).
I would never use it for towing the material is too abrasive.
I do use the original shipping cover for trips over 500miles. It is vinyl on the outside with a soft felt lining. Even with the lining I still get abrasion around the rubrail and some stain from the diesel smoke getting under the cover.
If you don't already have a towing cover I would cover the seats with trash bags (or put the seats in your tow veichle) and wash her when you arrive.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Bryan Tuvell
04-18-2001, 09:23 PM
Man oh man... I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU GUYS! Thanks, I have spent the last 2 hours searching the web, I am wipped.... high dollar (3 to 6 hundred), plus I am not an educated consumer in this area...

I keep my boat immaculant (you could eat from my bildge!) so,,, I think I will tow with no cover and clean her up in KY! A bucket is cheap!!!
Thank you all so very much, especially
Frank C. Frank I read all your posts since you have a 22ZX like mine (just faster) and just bet you keep your baby like I do mine!
Thanks again....Bryan

Dr. Dan
04-18-2001, 09:37 PM
Big Bryan, I tow back and forth to the Chesapeake Bay an average of 1 to 2 hours each way, we have found that you can nicely secure the front edges and a bit(2 feet or so)down each of the side returns of the windsheild, if you use the "Blue Painters 2inch wide masking tape. Attach it to the cover and to the hull pressing out any air bubbles, it comes off easily. Remember to keep fluid dynamics in mind, you do the sides first, then overlap the front strip over and back over the side peices. I learned this from a local offshore racer who prefers to not have all the stone chips that a cover protects you from, also make sure you have rear mud flaps (even if only temporary) for any long term towing. Good Luck...Doc

Bryan Tuvell
04-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Dr Dan... next time your in town give us a ring... and if your a doctor you and momma will hit if off for sure, (Donzi talk is more fun!) Nacy my wife is in vascular.
Feel free to call us regardless, we love to entertain and talk boats...... well put you and your family up or meet you on the water at the ches bay bridge...
Email me and I will shoot you my home info.
Thanks, Bryan

Dr. Dan
04-21-2001, 06:47 PM
Bryan ...sent you a lengthy email, did you receive it? Hope all is well ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell
04-21-2001, 08:22 PM
DOC, yes I did and replied... I will resend.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
04-21-2001, 08:25 PM
ALSO , I want to thank all for input, I am really torn on what to do, my buds here think I am nuts to consider towing without the cockpit covered..... I just have no experience in long hauls (over 200 miles) my KY is almost 1500 miles round trip.
I am a bit worried on just how bad the cockpit will get dirty without the factory top... I may try the top and if anything is amiss stow it and tow naked.
Again thanks guys. I always value your Donzi experienced opinions.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-21-2001).]

wbateman
04-21-2001, 09:48 PM
Bryan,
Follow Tom's advice and pull the cover off. I have a 16 and do the same thing as well as put the seats in the truck as mine are only held on with velcro.

Bryan Tuvell
04-21-2001, 10:49 PM
yeah, your probably right, I mean as much armorall and wax I have going on I think I could have her spotless again in an hour upon arrival regardless of the weather, the Jeep G Cherokee has room for seats and the back cushion can go in the cuddy...
I know this is probably a silly thread to most but to me it is a real concern....

Thanks for your input... Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-21-2001).]

STUNG_AGAIN
04-23-2001, 03:30 PM
Bryan, you've got to be kiddin' me?! Man you need to relax, draw a deep breath. We'll be in a convoy and I'll tell you what, we'll put you in the middle so that we can keep an eye out on your boat. Heck, maybe one of us should tow it for you. I'll hitch it up behind that Stingray of mine... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

"...we sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would harm us..."