PDA

View Full Version : Volvo AQ drive Aluminum Prop Suppliers

Craig
09-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Okay, where can I get a 14x23 aluminum prop for a 280 for between $125.00 and $150.00??

I know I've seen them in this ball park, but it seems 19" and 21" pitch are shown often, whereas 23" I can't recall seeing recently.

Also, do any suppliers provide aluminum props with cup already added to anyone's knowledge?

I've had it done by a prop shop before, but it'd be nice just to order one already cupped. Rather not buy it new and then send it off right away to be modified.

MOP
09-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Remembered tis post maybe the 23 is still avilable.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000410

BigGrizzly
09-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Michican Wheel and Solas carries them!

mattyboy
09-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Michigan only makes upto a 21" new for the old Volvos, I am in the same boat no pun intended, search ebay for used or reconditioned props over 21" or maybe you can find an elusive Volvo ultra prop, you can always go custom too

Matty

Craig
09-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Phil - Looks like the 23 in the post was a RH rotation.

I know you can run that, but I think I want to stick with LH.

Randy - I think MattBoy is right about Michigan Wheel. I'll check Solas. Thanks.

I'm a little leary of a used one since I'm trying to determine, by using a brand new one, what my slight vibration might be Thinking it's my dinged up prop). But I guess if its been checked out at a prop shop and I could get one reasonable, I'd consider that.

mattyboy
09-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Randy I didn't know Solas made aluminum props for the Volvo that's good to know I will check them out.
Craig when not try and borrow a prop just to check for vibration some marinas and prop shops charge a nominal fee, they hold on to your prop though and if you use them for service take the fee off the bill.

Matty

JimG
09-04-2003, 11:19 AM
I called Bronson last week about their Thrasher stainless props for old Volvos. After calling three times to get their "Volvo expert", (he was out on deliveries?!?), he quoted $550. Yow!

Why is that these things are so hard to get at a decent price? And why doesn't FLO-TORQ make a hub kit for these?

Craig
09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Matt - I like the "try one out" idea. Only trouble is, I'd probably have to trailer the boat 2 or 3 hours to anyplace near me that might carry something that would fit. I'm way out in western MD. Just a few lakes with limited marinas/service. Also, most outrives here are black.

What are the available pitches for the $550.00 Thrasher prop (not that I'll be able to consider that at this point)?

Craig
09-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Can somone refresh my memory on the long hub, short hub thing here, because here...

http://www.boatsunlimitedny.com/volvo_prop.htm

...is a place (with 800 phone #) I found that has some $139.00 aluminum props for Volvo 200, 270, 280 ,290 etc. (and newer drives) but the 14 diameter only has like up to 17 or 19 pitch (depending on the hub type).

BUT they have 16" diameter ones up to 23" pitch.

What's the deal with the bigger diameter props (15" and 16")?? Will they fit w/o problems? Is the performance any good or no good?

WAIT THIS IS AN EDIT: Looked again; they do have a 14x23 for long hub. So what is the difference again and can you somehow use one if you have the other. My guess is "no" if you have a short hub and want to use a long hub prop???

JimG
09-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Bronson said they'd do anything from 24" to 28" pitch on that prop.

boldts
09-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Craig, you can use a long hub Volvo prop on a current short hub drive. It will how-ever involve some modifications.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You will need to buy a long hub cone <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Biggest difference between the 2 is the short hub cone does not require a bolt screwed into the shaft to prevent the cone from loosening up <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As listed above, the long hub cone requires that the prop shaft be drilled and taped to accept a bolt that keeps the cone from loosening <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Easiest way to drill the hole is to use the long hub cone as a guide <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Use the search available here on the site as doing this modification as been discussed a number of times. I'd enter something like "prop shaft" in the search. Should bring up a few threads on the subject<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
09-04-2003, 04:01 PM
How do I know whether I have long or short hub prop(s) on my drive? What are the respective hub lengths, front to back???

FR :p

boldts
09-04-2003, 04:46 PM
AKA Barrelback, if you get the chance to put the two cones next to each other, you'll see the difference right away. I don't know the exact dementions since it's been a couple years now since we bought the 22, but best guess would be: Long hub prop about 5.5" to 6" hub and short cone about 2.5" to 3". Short hub prop is about 3.5" to 4" hub and with long cone about 4.5" to 5". Just a guess, like I said it's been a while. I did the modification when I ran a stainless long hub prop on my Volvo 250 drive. :)

Craig
09-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Here's the long and short of it (sorry) -- Actually found a link to a previous post that went into this in some detail:

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007690#000001

or, for the short cut version to a site with pics and info. re: long and short hubs:

http://www.a1discountprop.com/qusi-volvosd.htm

Hopefully those will work.

Still wondering about the larger diameter props 15" and 16" (see above).

Going to Ocean City, MD this week. Anywhere I can find a dealer that might have some old Volvo props?