PDA

View Full Version : Some new 2003 Donzi Info

RickSE
07-29-2002, 05:04 PM
I didn't see any pictures posted of the new 22-Classic windshield. Here's the one they had at the show. Sources say this is only a prototype but I'll bet it's pretty close to what they're planning. The 2003 order form for the 22-Classic states "nostalgic windshield with wind deflectors". They need to work on the fit & finish though since the one at the show didn't fit very well near the front.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones42.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones43.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones44.jpg

The 22-Classic & 18-Classic now come standard with Gaffrig Monster Gauges. They're optional on the 16-Classic but I was told it's a tight fit. Also all Classics now come with a standard grab rail for back seat passengers, near bottom seat cushion.

The Hard Rock Cafe will be giving away a 16-Classic this year. I'm not sure on the details but sounds like it will go down this year.

I got to see the new Merc. 525 and shorty drive. The engineer says the new 525 uses aluminum Edelbrock heads, Manley pistons, H-beam rods and new equal length headers. I didn't get any info on the new drive but they did have it on display.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones45.jpg

chief bigwin
07-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Interesting!

My boat looks almost identical to the one in your picture. I Like the black stripe on the seat and the grab rail idea. My passengers wish mine had some. I have the Monster Gauges. They look very cool and get a lot of attention, but my speedo needs to get replaced already, becasue it's leaking glycol.

Not sure about the windshield. Looks like a case of trying to cut costs by eliminating chrome and stainless and adding more plexi. It definitely looks like it will do a better job of keeping your hairstyle in tact. I think however, it looses the classic appeal. That's what people love and comment about my boat. "Look at all the chrome"

Thanks for the pics Rick

P.S. That motor looks hot!

MAXCAT
07-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Interesting placement for the trim tab switches. The shorty drive brings back memories of the Alpha SS.

chief bigwin
07-29-2002, 06:51 PM
Maxcat,

I ordered K-Planes on my 2002 22 and that is where the trim tab switches are. It is a very convenient location.

Brian

HyperDonzi
07-29-2002, 07:08 PM
i think the windshield needs to take on the lines of the boat or at least let those fold down. as for the rest of the boat, wow.

Barry Phillips
07-30-2002, 01:56 PM
The old windshield was not nostalgic enough? Please Donzi say it an't so, that thing just looks cheap.

SO-SLO

RickSE
07-30-2002, 03:33 PM
The verbage in the Donzi info for the 22-Classic actually states, "retro windscreen with integrated venturis".

Other new stuff:
Thru-Hull Exhaust now standard on 18 & 22.
Solid color upholstery now available, red, black, blue & yellow.
New Rally paint & upholstery on 16/18/22, Donzi logo on deck & stripes on the seats, the 22 had this.

Z20,Z22 & Z23 are not available as of 2003.

This I need to confirm but the only engine shown for the 18-Classic is the 350Mag, they do not list the 6.2L or Scorpion.

mattyboy
07-30-2002, 04:14 PM
I tell ya what should be new for 2003,
take the 38zr with classic color scheme
white bottom, red sides, white deck with the red stripe!!!!! the new 38 classic!!!!!!!

now yer talking

Matt
in need of a mental attitude adjustment the 8oz or 16 oz size!!!!

Tidbart
07-30-2002, 04:18 PM
I was told by one of the Donzi guys that all the classics will only come from the factory with a thu-hull exhaust with no mufflers. Straight pipes. If you will want Silent Choice, etc, you will have to have the dealer install it.
Bob

FJB20
07-30-2002, 06:01 PM
No Way on the Z22 for 2003 -- I'm lookin to Upgrade to a 337 Scorpion Next Summer.
Who Do I Call??? Maybe I'll Call Geo. Bush
and Tell Him It's Corporate Fraud

tamburello
07-30-2002, 06:03 PM
I'm going with the rest of you that new black windshield is a step backwards aesthetically. My understanding is that the new bravo lower is designed to prevent prop blowout on boats with very high hull speeds is it really necessary on the 22 classic even with the new 525? The new lower is likely in response to the IMCO Xtreme bravo lower. Has anyone heard if the internals are beefier than the stock Bravo lower.

SundanceKid
07-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Any idea when the new 38 ZF is coming out? That will be the boat!

Last Tango
07-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Just a review on the windshield for the 22: This topic was already very heavily discussed under the SEADOGs in Sarasota threads that also posted pictures of the new boats early last week and discussed the pro and con of the new windshield. Rather than be redundant I will paraphrase here and tell you that the "traditional" windshields for the 16 and 18 are regular production pieces from a different supplier. The 22 windshield, although very similar in appearance, was a custom piece for every 22 built. The man who made those windshields recently retired. No new artisan has stepped forward to continue his work. It may be "do-able" but no one has stepped forward to do it. The new windshield is the result of having to look elswhere for a piece that has the flavor if not the chrome of the other piece.

Last Tango
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Tamburello,
I asked the factory guys about doing the new 525 in a Classic 22 and they all just walked away. I'm thinking they all want to, but the personal liability concerns are just too great to chance. I guess HP500 will have to experiment with that idea when he finishes installing that jet engine in his other boat.

I did get an explanation about the moving of the trim tab controls to the side. It is exactly what we asked for...easier access to the tabs when the throttle is WOT. Nobody wants to get their right hand too far from the throttle when at speed. Trim controls on the dash were just too far away for comfort and safety, so they put them within easier reach of the throttle control. The C22 has a sill that is wide enough to mount them up there. The C16 and C18 have the tabs controls on the verticle inside just forward of the WOT position on the throttle. Makes good sense to me! That is always an issue on my 2001 C18 when I am WOT and the hull starts to chine walk and I have to decide whether to let go of the throttle and reach up to fiddle with the trim tab controls on the dash, or just hang in there in case I need to throttle back, and forget about solving the chine walk with trim tab adjustment.
All 2003 Classics will have the chrome grab bar running below the rear seat. One of the boats on display didn't have a bar, but that was a mistake. It was supposed to.

RickSE
07-31-2002, 01:05 PM
Sundance,
I did see some pictures of a new ZF. The boat had a walkaround cabin and I believe it was a 38. I'm not sure when it will come out. I was told that Donzi's next new release will be the 34ZSC.

Yes, Thru-Hull Exhaust is now standard on the 18 & 22 & does not include mufflers. Quick & Quiet II is available with mufflers, diverting exhaust thru mufflers & prop. Quick & Quiet Plus is also available which includes a switchable system.

Here is some info on the new short Bravo XR and 525.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones46.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rstrones47.jpg