PDA

View Full Version : Imco vs. Bravo vs. Arneson

tamburello
09-03-2003, 12:50 PM
My drive upgrade fund is growing nicely and I hope to retire my trusty nine year old Alpha I in the near future. So, I figure that I'd query the experts here to find out what to bolt onto the transom of my 18.

I plan to upgrade my motor in the near future to get me into the neighborhood of 350 - 400 hp. I boat primarily on Lake Michigan which provides loads of launch inducing wave action. Considering my horsepower and drive loading/unloading what drive would you recommend? I have been looking at the Imco Xtreme Advantage SC shorty, a Bravo XR shorty, or I could go all out with an Arneson.

Let the suggestions fly!

- Jeff
"stay together lil' alpha"

roadtrip se
09-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Jeff!

I would think the Imco Extreme SC would be overkill for 400HP, but the regular Imco Extreme lower withe XR shaft would rock on your 18. The XR is rated to 575HP, so you would have room to spare. We all know what the Arneson does to these boats...

I have had drive issues this summer, but only because I didn't go with an XR upper when I did the XR shortie. The lower has been rock solid.

Oh, and don't forget about adding steering to your budget, when you get ready to start the upgrades. Twin ram, if you can afford it.

Hopefully, we can get you to come terrorize the east side of Michigan, when you get it all glued together...

Good luck,

Todd

SS18
09-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Not to get you off track but I have two Imco shorty lowers,polished with low test hours for sale if interested?

Barry Phillips
09-03-2003, 07:19 PM
With a small black any current Bravo will do the trick, it depends on your budget. The Arneson works great on an 18 hull, GEOO has done all the R & D, but there is little space for a transmission so a paddle is the order of the day, reverse and neutral come in handy. I had a standard Bravo 1 on my 18 and with 250 hp it did 65 mph.

SO-SLO

tamburello
09-03-2003, 09:17 PM
If I go the arneson route I'd probably cut the transom for a bravo and use the bravo to Arneson kit which includes a transmission that sit in an extesion box. I believe that CDMA is using one on his 22. I'm trying to avoid using paddle power.

Stix Magill
09-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Tam,

Is an Alpha SS an option?

Scott

Moody Blu'
09-03-2003, 09:36 PM
well if your gonna do the tranny then go arneson! :D

Ranman
09-03-2003, 09:42 PM
It's my understanding that the Bravo to Arneson conversion is $13,000. eek!

It does come complete with the hydraulic steering though. :rolleyes:

tamburello
09-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Stix,

Yeah, I've been considering an Alpha SS. I'm not sure it would increase my reliability much but there are quite a few members of the board that are very happy with their SS drives. I figure that a bravo shorty will get me the same advantage as an SS and it is much easier to source a replacement gearcase upper if I scramble it.

Ranman,

Congrats on gettin' hitched! I'm tyin' the knot on Jan. 3. Yeah, that Arneson kit is expensive but I have a source that'll give me a good deal on a new unit and has the line on a used one as well. The fact that it has the hyd. steering and tranny included is reeeeel nice. :D

- Jeff

CDMA
09-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I am using the Arneson conversion on my 22. I have thought of also using one on my 18 but after seeing the actual size of one I have some serious questions to how well, if at all, it would work on an 18. I think if I did an Arneson on an 18 that the paddle route would be the way I would go. Forget about how it would look....

That being said IMHO the price really isn't that far out of line. I figure a brand new Bravo Xr and gimble has to set you back about 7-9 k ( think that is accurate?) and then add about 3 k for external steering. The cost of the upgrade doesn't seem so bad anymore.

If you can get a good deal on a used drive then the cost gets even better...

Chris

Holder of spares....

Barry Phillips
09-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Tam is your 350 a 300 hp mag with MPI? What are you planning to do to increase hp, your goal of 50 to 100 hp seems modest, if you are already at 300 hp. I was running a standard 5.7L on my Classic 18 with the Bravo 1 a $200 option over the Alfa 1, I could have added another 100 hp with a 4 barrel, new intake manifold and more aggressive cam. The standard exhaust manifolds flow fairly well but aluminum ones would be better yet. If you could find a used Bravo would a shorty conversion be more cost efective. I never hot rodded my 18 scince I came across a deal on 22 with 496 Mag I could not refuse. I do not boat on the Great Lakes but 3 to 4' lake chop were I do boat is not uncommon so the 22 can handle it much better.

SO-SLO

tamburello
09-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Barry-

I'm currently running a carbed 350 Mag with 250 pshp. My plans are to build a new 350 or 383 for 350-400 hp naturally aspirated. The Bravo/IMCO looks like the most likely option at this point but I haven't taken the Arneson out of the picture yet.

Chris-

Do you think that the Bravo to Arneson extension box puts the drive too far back for such a short hull? Would the weight of that setup shift the center of gravity too far aft? I would assume that there is definitely not room in the engine bay to put a tranny in w/o the extension box.

Thanks for the input!

- Jeff