PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust pipes too hot?

tmdog
07-28-2002, 12:24 PM
When we installed sbc 350 about 2 yrs. ago, we also istalled Eddie marine exhausts also.Themostat is a 180 degree and the chrome exhausts seem too hot to the touch. I am wondering whether I am getting enough water to cool them appropriately? Water is pumped from the outdrive to a hose coming thru the transom and breaks off to [something] ( oil cooler?) on the lower port side and hose continues to water pump on front of engine. My question is, What is that [something] the hoses connect to? Whatever that part is , it was hever replaced when we installed new engine. It's a fact this Miami boat was in salt water before I bought it. Thinking I have a water restiction at that [something] on port side of engine. I hope this makes sense in what I'm describing.I need help. Thanks Jim

RT
07-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Should be power steering cooler. 2 small hoses on top return to pump/resevoir,and steering cylinder.
Hope this helps.

tmdog
07-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks RT for the reply . Is it possible this cooler got messed up from salt water? Can I just by-pass this cooler and still be in the safety zone?

MOP
07-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Sometimes thin grass will get through and plug a few tubes in the cooler. Take the hoses off and back flush it with a garden hose. Alot of guys are running inboard sea strainers. What ever you do not remove the cooler the steering pump don't like to getting hot!

tmdog
07-28-2002, 07:09 PM
The point I want to make is it possible for salt water corrosion to impede the flow of water? Though the motor has enough water to cool it properly ,is there enough water to cool the exhaust? Should I replace the cooler?

tmdog
07-28-2002, 07:10 PM
The cooler is 14 yrs. old.

MOP
07-28-2002, 07:37 PM
Another thought, maybe everything is Ok! 180 thermostat opens at 180 the water is a little coming out means you are getting pretty hot water going to the most heat producing parts the manifolds, I would bet they run 10-15 degrees hotter than the engine. Try checking the actual temperature, borrow a heat gun or clamp temp senders with thermal paste to the pipes and use a gauge.

blackhawk
07-28-2002, 08:26 PM
A 180* thermostat sounds high to me. I think mine is a 140*. Also, my coller is both an oil cooler and a power steering cooler.

RT
07-28-2002, 09:07 PM
I hope "you" put the 180 thermostat in and I assume you are now running boat in fresh water. I agree with Blawkhawk as raw water cooled boats use a 140
thermostat. BTW, 140 thermos are only sold as high-flow thermostats. Usually only freshwater-cooled motors/closed systems, use 180 thermos.
Make sure your present thermo is also a high flow
thermo. These are brass, 3 triangles on top,3 curved ovals on bottom, and bottom is about 3/4"
deep and almost width of thermo, except for holding flange. Blackhawk, do you have 2 separate coolers, or one with both oil/ps? Artie.

MOP
07-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Curious did you check the flow coming out of the riser? I have seen engines run fine and not overheat yet burn an exhaust hose messy biz, might be worth pulling the hose especially if one riser is hotter than the other. There is a possibilty one is slightly plugged, check for bubbling inside hose a sure sign of to much heat. From your adress I believe you do run in fresh water. Pull that stat if you decide to play in salt.

tmdog
07-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Thanks y'all for all the helpful info. I rec'd. I believe I have a way to check the exhaut heat.I'll also will check thermostat for high flow or reduce the heat range.Donzi is only used in fresh water since the engine swap. The unanswered question is, should I replace the cooler since it seen salt water for 12 yrs.? Do they ever go bad?

Rootsy
07-29-2002, 07:55 AM
my starboard riser has always run hotter than my port... i thought it was rust until i replaced the risers last week... still does it... i have substantial flow which is nearly equal out of BOTH sides... the deflector in the thermostat housing below the thermostat is my guess.... just the way the water is flowing is all.. one runs luke warm the other like slightly uncomfy bathwater... 150 or 165 thermostat whatever merc has gone to with the later motors...

blackhawk
07-29-2002, 02:14 PM
My starboard riser also runs slightly hotter than the port. Always has.

MOP
07-29-2002, 02:58 PM
The cooler is usually good till it springs a leak that does not happen very often in fresh water. In salt sometimes they burn from electrolisis. If you are worried about it take it off and give it to a local radiator shop they can pressure check and boil it out. When you get it off wash it out good, most of the time if they look good they are good but have it checked anyway.

MOP
07-29-2002, 03:01 PM
I still would pull the hoses and check the out flow from the risers. Make sure all of the holes are clean and shooting water well. You are shooting fresh water so just pump it out later, can't hurt anything to check it.

MOP
08-02-2002, 06:39 PM
So what did you find? Hope you pulled the hoses, even in fresh water most anything that gets loose in the cooling passages ends up in the headers discharge ports