PDA

View Full Version : Best cleaner/polish for s.s. exhaust outlets?

Riley
09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
What has everybody found to be the best cleaner/polish for s.s. exhaust tips? I've got a set of Hardin slash cut tips on my boat, and, without fail, every time I use the boat the tips end up water spotted and cruddy looking. It's a royal pain to clean them up, and conventional chrome polish just doesn't seem to work very well. Suggestions?

Greg K
09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I use Mother's metal polish with a terry cloth towel and it cuts thru everything easily on my tips and look like new after. Works very well and no elbow grease is necessary. I don't know of anything to keep them from spotting and cruddy looking running each time.

smoothie
09-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Try WD-40,spray on ,wait a few minutes and wipe it off,I use it on top of the outdrive too.

mattyboy
09-02-2003, 12:33 PM
I second the mothers "mag polish" for all metals
works very well, rub on till it has a black haze the buff out with a clean terry cloth you won't be disappointed

Matty

Rodger
09-02-2003, 01:09 PM
A product for bathroom cleaning, such as Lime-Away or CLR, will dissolve that mineral & calcium build-up instantly if applied fairly often (every 3rd or 4th outing).

mattyboy
09-02-2003, 02:12 PM
hey Poodle,
you cleaning the boat or making potato salad :p wink :D

Matty

Dr. Dan
09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
wink "Never Dull" I have used this for years and have yet to find a metal it won't brighten up and polish...look for it in most Hardware or Home Centers!...It is a wadding polish, a little wad ...goes along way. I also go over it with a metal polish when finished... No Problemo!!! :p Doc

Ralph Savarese
09-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Noxon metal polish on my tips and all stainless workes great!

boxy
09-02-2003, 05:32 PM
GONE.... :D :D

This post will self destruct after 9:00 PM EST tonight

Tony
09-02-2003, 06:03 PM
FLITZ...a "non-abrasive metal polisher" that I am almost out of. Have to use it every time but it is easy on, easy off.

(Hello Chris Riley! How are things up there with all those other "Upper Peculiars"? Coming down under soon for any lawn drag-racing w/ snowmobiles? Hope your summer went well, I think next year we are coming up to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and will have to swing over to Cedarville for sure.)

Pegasus
09-02-2003, 07:37 PM
I third the Mother's. Been using it for years and years from my motorcyle to my boat. It's the best! Their wax isn't bad either. K-mart carries them both.

David Ochs
09-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Okay, The best thing I have found that works great on hard water spots just happens to be really really cheap. "The Works" available at Wal-Mart for about $3-/qt. Not much to invest, give it a try.

BigGrizzly
09-02-2003, 09:39 PM
I have used all the above I mow use Flitz and windex. This weekenf I saw Tomahawk use star brite with teflon on his. worked fine

riverrat
09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
yea, what Poodle said. Also, used simple green it gets the black stuff off the back of the boat & the scum line too... :D

wintersux
09-03-2003, 07:41 AM
I use a mixture of equal parts of white vinegar, glass plus and distilled water. Spray it on in the ramp parking lot from a small pressurized garden sprayer after pulling the boat out of the water. Wipe down with a terry towel and it is ready to put away for next trip. Doesn't cut the wax and takes the lime deposits right off the boat. Cheap, easy. Smell like a vegetarian for a while.

Riley
09-03-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all of the great info! I've tried the vinegar trick, as well as the bathroom cleaners designed to remove lime deposits. Both work fairly well, but I wanted to hear if anybody had discovered some "super cleaner" that would do the trick. I'm going to try the Mother's polish, I know it works wonders on polished aluminum. I'm also going to try the Flitz and see how that compares to the Mothers.

(Hey Tony, good to hear from you! Yes, we had another great summer boating up here in the Les Cheneaux Islands, and I think I'm going to have at least one more good weekend on the lake. Let me know your plans for next summer, we'll have to co-ordinate and hit the water again. As long as you don't mind boating with a "non-Donzi", that is.......LOL. It looks like it's going to be at least one more year before I can move up to that 22' Donzi I've been wanting. Take care!)

mikev
09-03-2003, 10:17 AM
real fine steel wool works great to knock the major crud off the i use never dull great stuff. mothers works real well too.