PDA

View Full Version : Donzi and Rude boaters?

fasttrucker
09-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Out today in the iner-harbor in baltimore when I was passing a fountain.It was a nicely painted custom boat...well I saw him looking over so I gave him the thumps up.He turns around drives off.So I said to paula,"that guy didnt acknowledge me".Her reply.."Were back in the city"
OK...SO THE ??? IS "ARE PERFORMANCE BOATERS RUDE TO DONZI BOATS" or is it typical city rudeness? frown

MOP
09-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Rude people come to boat where we play, I have been in the marina game a very long time. You would be quite surprised to find out the percentage of Cityites that come to boat in the beautiful quiet areas. Most are not to bad some are absolutely off the page real garbage, they really believe they do not stink! The real creeps do suffer in ways that can not be explained. wink

Brad Lyon
09-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Hey, even some Donzi owners are rude. There are three Classics (one is mine) and two Regazza's on Secord Lake where I keep my boat. All but one of the Regazza's are yellow in color. Anyway, one of the Classics will drive by and everyone in my boat or on my beach will wave as he goes by, but he or anyone in his boat will never wave back. I have tried to get him to pull over and talk to him about the Registry and such but he keeps looking straight ahead and keeps on going. I guess he thinks I am lower class than him because I don't have thru-hull exhaust. I would like to put thru-hull exhaust in but my power steering junk is in the way. Oh well..........

Brad

1996Z15
09-02-2003, 06:19 AM
There's a guy where I keep my boat who has a thirty something Profile. I have seen him on the water a few times, each time I wave to him. I have yet to receive a wave back.

BUIZILLA
09-02-2003, 06:58 AM
I'll tell ya about rude...

I've ridden Harley's for about 25 years, starting with an FXE.. In 2000 I sold my 1997 fuel injected Road King, and bought a Valkyrie Tourer. The Valk is electric, no more numb limbs at 80 mph, and fast as hell for a big bike... You would be amazed at how many of the same Harley riders will no longer wave at me, cause it's a *different* brand than they ride. If I get back on a Harley Wobbleson, everybody waves again.

You talk about clannish... I also had BMW motorcycles, the last being a K1100 RS/SE, and rode with a few of those groups. My bro in law has a K1200 RS. Those peeps are eccentric like you wouldn't imagine.

J

Cuda
09-02-2003, 07:51 AM
BUIZILLA:
I'll tell ya about rude...

I've ridden Harley's for about 25 years, starting with an FXE.. In 2000 I sold my 1997 fuel injected Road King, and bought a Valkyrie Tourer. The Valk is electric, no more numb limbs at 80 mph, and fast as hell for a big bike... You would be amazed at how many of the same Harley riders will no longer wave at me, cause it's a *different* brand than they ride. If I get back on a Harley Wobbleson, everybody waves again.

You talk about clannish... I also had BMW motorcycles, the last being a K1100 RS/SE, and rode with a few of those groups. My bro in law has a K1200 RS. Those peeps are eccentric like you wouldn't imagine.

J Ain't that the truth! A bunch of my buddies ride HD's. Every Wednesday is like Halloween. They have to dress up in their HD gear, ride about two miles then hang out at Biff Burger for a couple of hours, then ride home. What gets me is that originally the bikers wore black to show their induviduality, now it's like a uniform that isn't individual at all. I guess I just don't get it.

AVickers
09-02-2003, 08:30 AM
More like a costume, I'd say...

I saw a guy on a Harley at a ride up in the Panhandle who had a ponytail -- attached to his cap! My guess is that they don't let him have a ponytail at work, so he puts in on on the weekends.

roadking
09-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Hey, I'm a city boy...(yuppie) here in Canton and keep my 22zx across the strret @ Lighthouse Point Marina, Inner Harbor Baltimore. We have a few Donzi's in the Boatel and lots of other nice performance boats. Most are very friendly, but there are snobs and unhappy people everywhere.

Also an owner of 2 H-D's, a RoadKing and a Duece. The same rule goes as above. There are good and bad people everywhere.
I'm not prejudice to any other makes, I just know what I like to ride and own.

I wave to all!!!

olredalert
09-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Brad,

------One look at your D-boat and they got an inferiority complex!
------This same waving thing gets tossed around regularly on all the Corvette boards.The gist of it is that the C2 guys all think the C5 guys are stuck up idiots who dont understand the history of Corvettes and pay no attention to all the early Vette owners,who become very indignant.I prefer to think that the C5 guys are just too deep in thought about how to make their next payment to notice anything else,even the road much of the time!This is not meant to disparage C5s at all as I think they are great!..........Bill S

Walt. H.
09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Its the same here. I've been riding since 74'. I still have the same 78'H.D. FXS and a 97' GSX-R 750 for speed and handling. Doesn't really matter what I ride even Harley to Harley theres only about a 20-30 % that will return my wave/extended hand and index finger, or thumbs up. There a different breed of rider now days and I don't like it. Theres nothing more annoying then to make the effort of waving first only to get a stupid stare in return, then I just switch fingers from the index to the one finger salute. Only kids on bicycles and dirt bikes are eager to return or wave first.
Don't get me started I also can't stand sneakers or flip-flops as M/C foot wear, especially on Harleys. Those guys should have their bikes taken away and forced to ride "Mopeds" in public.
Back to Boats= Yeah I get snubbed by sail boats and any boat with wild outlaw graphics on its side, even while idle through the canal area. But thats OK, unlike M/C's they will wave one day for a "Tow Job".
Maybe its Only Lawyers and Gangsters that don't smile and wave. :rolleyes: :p :D

:) Never been snubbed by a
Donzi yet and mine isn't! :)

Walt,

PS. olredalert,
I've owned my 68'hot rod Corvette since sept,1970 and remember the camaraderie two finger wave we all shared, always stopping on the side of the road to B.S/help out or drag race. Again a vehicle once owned by a different type, We all had constant grease under our nails. :p And always getting faked out in the distance from a on coming "Opel GT" (the poor mans) corvette. eek!

Cuda
09-02-2003, 10:10 AM
As far as boats, everyone around here waves at us. Saturday we made the long run from Sarasota to Madeira Beach. Most of it was us the intercostal and a lot of idle zone. We past LOTS of boats, and everyone including sailboats, cruisers, yachts, fisherman and other performance boats waved at us. I don't think a single one didn't. We always try to give other boats plenty of room, especially small ones, or boats that aren't maneuverable or anchored.

Barry Phillips
09-02-2003, 12:10 PM
I rarely run across another high performace power boater who dose way etc., the Classic Donzis commend attention and respect every place they go. I did run accross one owner who never waves back or stops to chat which is his loss because it's part of the Donzi experience. Maybe the Fountain guy was just jealous.

SO-SLO

Stix Magill
09-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Our lake/river is lined sparcely by cabins and most boaters are land owners. All polite and friendly. But when the lake is over run on Labor Day, it is the MasterCrafts and Ski Nautiques that are the least friendly and the most obnoxious with their wakes. I love these boats, but the owners seem to be oblivious to the fact that there are other people using the water.
Many miles of uninhabited river, but they have to ski back and forth down the most inhabited stretch within 50 feet of the docks! Lucky for us, these fellows winterize their boats the day after labor day and don't use them again until Memorial day.

I believe some boaters feel that they have the coolest boat on the water, then comes your Donzi! Maybe their friends comment on the cool boat "A Donzi!" and their women stare. They get jealous! When they don't wave, I just have to laugh. We call it "the bubba snub". :p
PS:Did you know that you are responsible for damage caused by your wake?

Barry Phillips
09-02-2003, 03:02 PM
My wife and I stopped for launch on Lake George on Sunday. The place was crowded and we had to wait about 10 mins for dock space. A guy leaving with his family had a neat low slung job with a fiberglass hull and mohogany deck, looked like west coast boat. He swing by to chat and admire the 22, he called it a Race Craft. When we finally docked a Cobalt pulled in behind us and the guy's little boy jumps on to dock and says daddy isn't that the coolest boat you ever saw. No one seemed to notice the Velocity docked in front of me.

SO-SLO

Moody Blu'
09-02-2003, 03:13 PM
I wave at everyone, and when they dont wave back I just give one of those looks like, " what ya dont want to wave back? Ok fine then jerk off"
:p

There a$$holes all over the water, doesnt matter what boat there on, sailboat or pwoer boat.

On a lighter note, I know alot of the guys in the formula's,cigs,etc pay respects and a bunch of other power boaters/sailboaters.

Just last weekend i was cruisin with a 42' cig(old school 70's) and a 28 formula. the guys on the cig were watchin me fly through the rough water (cruisin around 50)and we ended up leavin the formula behind

Once we got to the no wake zone the guys on the formula wouldnt even look over. :rolleyes:

screw em wink

SS18
09-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Now Broque,
I don't think my formula would have been left behind :D But on the other hand I always wave to everyone even if I'm not happy.But I mostly get the guys on the small family deck boats that ignore us as if it is our size :rolleyes: or that they expect us to be rude?

Darrell
09-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Most of the folks around here are very friendly and just happy to be on the water :) . As far as any problem about the boat being a Donzi "none". The folks that know boats seem to respect the quality of the boat :cool: and the others like it, just want to call it a Dons-I eek! (sounds a little Japanese with a southern accent) I wave to everyone and if they don't wave back, hell I figure they are not having as much fun as I am. :D :D :D

Darrell

MOP
09-03-2003, 08:57 AM
See we have a bunch of old and new Harley riders, any old "BREED" members? If so mail me curious about old party folks!

pokster
09-03-2003, 06:12 PM
For the H-D boys. I live and work in Milwaukee, which just had a weeklong big deal for the 100th birthday for H-D.
“The main group has changed a lot; it is no longer a brother hood. Its now just a confused group of (yuppies, 50 something that want to relive their youth etc...) that want to belong to a group. How else can you explain why they would pay so much for such a poorly built bike?”
This from a old original Harley rider.
I personally stop along the road to help a guy with a “48” who just need some tools, cool guy (old school) and a new friend. I've owned Jeeps and vettes, both have a wave. I go with if they don't wave back, they ether don't know or don't care. So I don't waste my time and stop and make a new friend. My current boat is a little jet boat, and most people wave back. The big hot rod boats seem to remember a time before they had the big boat and even smile with their wave. It seems the ones that don't look more confused than anything else. When I run the Mississippi, people do seem friendlier the farther away from the cities you get. Whatever the reason.

Don't worry, be happy. Enjoy the wave.

blackhawk
09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
When in the northern part of the state the boaters are really friendly, I'd say 95% of them wave. Seems like the farther South you go the worse it gets! That's why I stay north!

I hear what your saying about the bikes to. I had a 94 FZR6 and then a 96 GSXR750. Other sport bikes would always wave. Harley riders would rarely wave at us. Like they didn't like us because we rode "rice burners". I remember thinking "I don't not wave at you for riding a couch around so why do you refuse to wave at me because I like to go fast?" I never got it.

Moody Blu'
09-03-2003, 07:01 PM
For the bikers, ricers and u.s. bred.....

I hate to break it to the harley riders, but they break more then any of the other cruisers out there. In all seriousness a business is about makin money so the more they break the more money you make. HArley is the king.

take your poison, yamaha, honda, kawasaki, suzuki, Harley, ducati, aprilla, buell, triumph, ETC

they all have quirky engineering somewhere on the bikes, they all make you wonder why they designed things like they did.I usually say,"these guys were smokin crack when they designed this part"

There all bikes, they all break.

One thing they all have in common is the love for riding, and that shouldnt be looked over. albeit cruiser or crotch rocket, American or elsewhere.

Anyon see the rhune from honda lately? thats a piece of work... :cool:

Cuda
09-03-2003, 07:05 PM
I was messing with a guy one time about his rice burner, he asked me "If Harley made a plane, would you fly it??". Point taken. :)

roadking
09-04-2003, 08:50 AM
I've had 4 H-D's and currently have 2. Never had one more than four years old though. Never had one break down. I paid $600.00 to have my 22zx towed on Saturday night and she,s still broke!!!!

roadking
09-04-2003, 08:51 AM
I've had 4 H-D's and currently have 2. Never had one more than four years old though. Never had one break down. I paid $600.00 to have my 22zx towed on Saturday night and she,s still broke!!!!

Walt. H.
09-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I've had the same Harley for over 25 yr's and she always gotten me back home. But I ride prepared.

Ign sw. gone bad = hot wired to get home.

when new some brass flashings hung up the carb, float and flooded out on the NJ. turnpike returning from Virginia Beach to B'klyn,NY. I took the float bowl off and cleared the needle seat on the side of the turnpike, after I got tired of manually working the fuel shut off. :D

Laid her down in the rain to avoid a guy running a stop sign. = Bent a few,dented and torn a few parts but still was able to ride it back home.
She's a tough old shovel Head, made of iron and chrome, always been! My pot metal and plastic Suzuki rocket would have been on a flat bed ride home with some of those various confrontations. In some cases Lo-Tech will out last Hi-Tech. wink

I'm sure theres more but C.R.S is kicking in.
I do remember every biker type stopping back then =1978 to see if I was ok or needing help, even those in cars.
Two years ago I cracked a spark plug on the H/D while riding, no one stopped to even offer a cell phone call while I made a three minute plug change. Yep! carry those things too, you never know when you might have to throw one at some A-hole. :rolleyes:

Its a shame =$600.00 to get towed, It was a free courtesy years ago an honorable thing to do and a un-written law of the sea. The guy being towed offered gas money unless it was the police or coastguard, then you offered them a beer or three. :D Now its a business and the beer will get you busted!

RoadKing,
What was the details of that big dollar tow?

Walt.

R.K. I just read your post below =
And I do understand and feel your pain especially regarding that it was getting dark, But I would have felt alot better about forking over that much money if he would have pointed a gun to my head. For that kind of money he should have brought you out three "lobster dinners and prime ribs" for the ride back since it was a little past dinner time.
I guess "Sea Tow inc." is a bargain around here, Hope they don't read your post and find out what you paid.

roadking
09-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Boat was cruising great and all of a sudden just shut down. It's a '99 with 60 hours. I'm sure it's an electrical problem, but I can't figure it out. Still waiting for the mechanic to look at it. Circuit braker shuts off a few seconds after turning key.

I called DNR to find a tow company, it was 7:30 and getting dark. I was about 10 miles east of the Inner Harbor and there wasn't much traffic. I was pretty much stuck,(2 whiney ladies on board). GPS came in handy! The guy came out and said it was $160 per hour.(the time it took him to leave his house, tow me and then for him to get home.)=$600.
I got back to my marina around 10:30...luckily we had about ten beers left in the cooler for the tow home!

SS18
09-04-2003, 08:17 PM
That is ugly! No tow insurance? Tow boat is cheap for a year membership in ccomparison to one tow.It came with my policy along with emergency hurricane haul etc.Total Dollar Ins. Damned if you do and Damned if you don,t.

JimG
09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
NEVER leave the dock without TowBoatUS! The one time I was towed the bill was a whopping $800+!!! My cost = $0.00!

Now I SMILE when I write that $99 check once a year!
:D
Jim