PDA

View Full Version : Classic 16 good ski boat?

cowgs
08-31-2003, 03:40 PM
I've just joined the list and am enjoying all the great info on Donzi boats. I would appreciate any comments regarding how good a Classic 16 is for towing skiers, including wake boarders. Such as, does the boat track straight when a skier is cutting hard, and also, how difficult is entry to the cabin from the water? I suppose those how use this boat for skiing a boarding ladder.
Thanks
Craig

Tony
08-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the board! Without knowing more about your primary usage, you might not get a lot of direction. It seems that most guys on this site ski/board/foot as an afterthought, or only occasionally.

The 16 works well for wakeboarders, with it's weight producing a nice sized wake. A slalom skier will not alter the coarse a Donzi much, again due to its weight, but the size of the wake is larger than competition slalom skiers usually prefer.

Boarding and storage are low points, with most people figuring out how to enter the boat via the outdrive...kind of tricky unless you are used to it.

If I were a youngster again, or had kids really into it, I would buy a Mastercraft (or equivalent) made for boarding & skiing...with the storage/towing tower, monster speakers aimed right back at the rider, and pumpable ballast tanks to produce huge wakes. I wish they had those rigs 30 years ago!

mattyboy
09-01-2003, 06:44 AM
my 16 is setup for skiing( tabs and a lower pitch prop to plane quickly) and it does that job quite well, except for storage, I also tried a rope ladder but now the kids and the Mrs. find getting in on the drive easier. We have tubed,skied but have not wakeboarded yet( trying to rent or borrow one before laying out cash on something the kids don't like),
I would use a shorter rope for wakeboarding and a longer rope for skiing to MAX/MIN the wake.
Plus you look so much cooler coming back to the dock from a day of watersports in a CLASSIC. wink :cool: :D

Matty

boldts
09-01-2003, 10:29 AM
May not be worth mentioning since you are looking at a 16 Classic, but I had a 18 Classic and it was a great ski boat. Other than the before mentioned difficulty in getting back into the boat, especially after a long slalom run, we really enjoyed the boat because no one else on the lake was skiing behind a Donzi. I did find a collapsible side ladder that folded up and stored away, but again we had the 18 which is a little larger.

Wake for wake boarding and tubing is fantastic. A little large for the slalom skier who likes to run on a shorter rope, but if you have trim tabs, some of that wake can be down sized by the use of them. My 18 did not have tabs.

The best part of skiing behind a Classic is the power under the hatch. I pulled tubes, kneeboards, wakeboards, slalom and even barefoot which is way impressive running down in front of the beach. Like someone also mentioned, nothing like pulling back to the dock or up to the beach in a Donzi Classic. The word chick magnet comes to mind or if you are a female with keys to a Classic, the guys will be all around also. The allure of a Donzi Classic is amazing!

Welcome to the Registry and good luck with your boat purchase no matter which boat you decide on. Be safe and have many wonderful hours of relaxation. :)

MOP
09-01-2003, 11:02 AM
I don't use mine for skiing but there are a few around here that do and do it well. Follow Mattys tips, something you may want to try in lieu of a ladder is to put non skid strips on the cavitation plate a small step on the transom and a small grab rail or handle on the transom top makes for pretty easy boarding with little clutter.

David Ochs
09-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Craig,
I love my 16' Donzi, but if you're looking for a great ski boat, don't buy the Donzi. It's not just hard to get back in to the boat, but there's no room for anything. I do on occcasion use the Donzi for pulling skiers and wakeboarders. It will pull three slalom skiers up in deep water, and wakeboarders like the wake it puts out.
Matty says it well, it is cool to be towed behind a Donzi.
Good luck