PDA

View Full Version : Deep scratches in metal side window frames

yorkey
08-31-2003, 03:27 AM
I have a 22 Ft Classic, and from trying to take the bimini top on and off, I've scratched the metal, side window frames and even the glass itself!

Man, do I feel like an idiot! Any clue as to how I can get these scratches out? If not, any clue as to where I can look into getting these replaced?

olredalert
08-31-2003, 09:21 AM
-----If you cant polish out the scratches in the plastic it is a relatively easy job to make new plastic windows.I prefer Lexan as it is a little more durable.The windshield frames come apart easily.Then trace and cut new pieces and install.
-----Are your windshield frames stainless or aluminum?If the frames are stainless,just sand the scratches with finer and finer wet and dry sandpaper(wet) until gone and polish the area with stainless polish back to new.If the frames are aluminum they are a little more of a problem.Because they are "anodized" aluminum,any attempt to polish out the scratches will result in an area that has a spot of polished aluminum.It will look distinctly different than the surrounding anodized aluminum and also will loose the protection of the anodizing.You could(if you are particularly anal-retentive)take the scratched pieces,or all the pieces to a profesional anodizer and have them polished and re-anodized.
------Long answer.Hope it helps!