PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX with 502EFI

cenzo
08-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Need some expert advise. I’m going to look at a 1998 22ZX this weekend. I was hoping to make the guy an offer, then A few moments ago I came across a review where someone had major problems with hull cracks around the step area. The writer said it had to due with the boat having a big block setup & this is why Donzi is now powering their 22's with 350 mags :confused: . Can someone confirm whether or not this is credible info. By the way here is the link with the review.
http://www.usboating.com/boatsbymake.ASP?make=Donzi

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-28-2003, 09:57 PM
I owned one, been around awhile and have never heard of that particular issue.
Survey says?
Great boat, best of luck to you.
Bryan

Read the reviews you linked, two people with GED's in grammer.... No boat is perfect. Again, best of luck to you, we have loved our two ZX's.

cenzo
08-28-2003, 10:29 PM
I appreciate the feedback. This will be my first boat and I'm looking forward to bringing it home.

Dr. Dan
08-29-2003, 07:01 AM
wink C.........Each year on our Upper Bay Poker Run....Thunder On The Bay put on by Jackson Marine, we see a hand full of these small ZX's...they are very fast hulls....and Bryan and Frank C. can highlight on specifics to look out for in all areas of ownership with the 22ZX. But from what I see, these 22 ZX owners have a great time and I have not heard one off color or durogatory comment about them....like any boat..."Proactive Maintenance" will yeild lots of fun and sun time....Good Luck with your first boat!.......... :D ..Doc

RICPAZ
08-29-2003, 03:23 PM
I had a 1999 22zx with a 502 Magnum that I bought brand new. I actually just sold it last month. I think that was a load of crap you heard about big blocks cracking the 22zx's hull. I have never heard of that one before. I never had any problems with my 22zx. They downgraded the engines in 22zx's because of safety concerns. Beleive me, running that boat with the 502 at wide open throttle @ 80 mph is right on the edge! I guess there were instances of people spinning out the boats and being tossed overboard. But as long as you know how to handle the boat you will be fine. I loved my 22 and was so glad I ordered it with the 502, instead of the 454 or 350. The boat really comes alive with 415hp! If the boat you are considering is in good shape, and you like it, you won't be dissappointed with that set-up. My problem now is trying to find a 26ZX that will outperform my old 22zx!

-Rich

Scubado
08-29-2003, 03:41 PM
The cracking issue sounds bogus to me. I've never heard anything like that. I have a 2000 22ZX and it is rock solid. It does have the 350, but I don't think the relatively small weight difference is going to be an issue. The added HP? There are a few members who have blown 22ZX's, ask them how the hold together.

It seems to me that there are always a lot of rumors that surround different boat models. Some are based on fact, most are not. Bottom line, thoroughly check out the boat before you buy it and then just enjoy it! I love mine!

bakker
08-29-2003, 07:44 PM
I have a 97 22zx with a blown 454 and have had no problems. The only problem I see with your purchace is that you should buy mine instead.(in donzis for sale section)

Shanghied Again
08-29-2003, 09:30 PM
I had a 22 with not only a big block but with 520hp Supercharged. I ran more poker runs in that 22 then any other 22 around. I ran the Hudson poker Run 2 years in a row at a minimun speed of 72. Had the boat 8-10ft out of the water a few times in the Ocean. The boat ran 82mph W/Open and I was not afraid of her. I just sold that boat again from Typhoon and she still looks good with no cracks.
The 22 dropped the big blocks for Liability reasons (They were to fast) and were spinning out Driver error. The boats are still spinning out with 350s in them (driver error)
If interested I know of a beatiful 22ZX Daytona (Rare boat) for a great price.

roadking
08-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Frank,
I may have an interest in the 22x Daytona? What's the deal on it?
Rance

cenzo
08-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and advise. Hey Frank, can you send me more information on the 22ZX? Also, on Saturday I went to see the boat, and had my first ride on a 22ZX. The boat was sweet! The only turn off was on the bottom of the bow, on the very peak there were two 2-3" patch jobs. The owner explained that is was only minor and only broke the gel coat. Apparently the bottom had scraped a rock while a float, due to someone elses boat drawing a wake. Not knowing truleyt how deep it was, I was an immediate turn off. Should I be concerned? Also, the boat did 74mph with four on board. The performance was quite impressive. Before I forget, I checked the step area and found no indication of any stress cracks this was a god thing.

Shanghied Again
09-01-2003, 09:27 AM
We just got the Daytona in yesterday, The boat is beautiful External steering K-Planes color diamond plate engine compartment. One flaw, This has to be the first Daytona I have seen with a 350 small block in it? The paint job is Reflections. I will find out the price this week