PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Finally Did It.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
08-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Yep, after all these months of theatening to do it, I finally picked up my barrel-back 18.
Dad and I drove out to Michigan and picked it up on Tuesday.
Todd Mumaw's #18-117 is now mine.
I got tired of waiting for that V-drive barrel-back to fall into my hands. The owner was still on the fence about selling, and I just couldn't seem to push him over it, so I went to Plan B.
That's okay, cause I figure the stern drive is faster and I know it's easier to dock.
Immediate plans are to enjoy it as much as possible, but a restoration is highly likely a couple years down the road. First thing to go is that Boston Whaler steering and those plastic seats!
Many thanks to Rootsy who checked it out for me, and thanks to Todd for a smooth transaction.
When's the next AOTH???
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Mumaw_Donzi_stern.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Mumaw_Donzi_top.jpg

FR :p

Rootsy
08-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Congrats eric! i am sorry i missed you guys on tuesday, i left your cell # at home and you weren't at the hotel or at todds when i finally got out of work... good to see you guys made it there and home in one piece.

i hope she was what you thought she was...

MOP
08-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Boy looks like you found a real nice one, some upolstry and it will be sweet. Lot of luck with it.

Phil

08-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks Rootsy. Yeah, we finished up with Todd about 2:30 and couldn't resist getting a head start for home. We made the other side of Cleveland by day's end, and got home about midnight last night.
I still owe you that Steak dinner.

Eric

Marlin275
08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Good Work, Nice Boat,
HeavyChopRacer!

BERTRAM BOY
08-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Very nice.....

GEOO
08-29-2003, 06:28 AM
That's Great!!! Best of Luck with Her..

Craig
08-29-2003, 06:41 AM
I like the destroyer steering wheel. Is that staying? Saw another Donzi (a 16) with one like it. Different, but pretty cool. The boat's a beauty!

penbroke
08-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Good luck with your new toy!! She looks like a nice one. If you ever get her up this way look me up and we can do a lake cruise.

Frank

mattyboy
08-29-2003, 08:31 AM
fr,
congrats and best wishes with the new ride
now gas her up and get to lk george for the fall picnic wink :D
now when you come to greenwood lake you have a boat to bring!!!

Matty

Barry Phillips
08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Congrats looks real solid, I like the wheel to but the fish boat chairs have to go. Bilt Rite can help you there. Another barrel back finds a good home. Best of luck.

SO-SLO

boldts
08-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Congratulations FR! :D Looking good and a real nice Classic. Like you said a little restoration to put her back the way she came from the factory and she'll be a great example of the early barrel-backs. Plan for end of May 04 to attend AOTH IV. In the mean time, like everyone else already said, enjoy your Donzi. Should ride a little better than the flat bottom hotrod. wink

mikev
08-29-2003, 05:11 PM
nice looking boat have fun.

Bug
08-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey FlatRacer,
Really nice looken barrel back, Now if I Could only get you to join me at the APBA Inboard
Regatta at Lake Lenape Mays Landing New Jersey ?
I help out at the race with my 18'2+3 to tow the guys in that break down. You know how busy that can get!!! GOOD LUCK. Sweet Boat.

smoothie
08-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Congrats Flatracer,
Looks like you can put away your kidney belt and enjoy the ride wink what kind of power is goin in her this winter :D

Dredgeking
08-29-2003, 08:07 PM
nice looking boat. gotta love getting a classic donzi. i love my classic more than my offshore boat. crazy how we love these damn things.

08-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks, all. I've been working on it for the last two days just fixing little odds and ends. Trying to get it ready for Lake George next weekend.
The wheel and the bogus interior are definitely going over the winter, but the extra cleats and chocks will have to wait for the full deck off re-gel-coat restoration a couple years from now. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy walking all over the painted deck and not worrying about the finish!

Penbroke: I want to dump it in at Whitehall and run up the lake to Crown Point or Burlington hopefully, this fall before I put it away for the winter. If not, then definitely in the spring. E-mail me with your phone # and I'll give you a call.

Bug: I have less than fond memories of Lake Lenape. That's where idiot ran into me wrecking my first raceboat and causing a four boat collision. Besides which, I'm not a big fan of APBA Inboard these days (I happen to think they've destroyed inboard racing, but that's a topic for another day), but thanks for the invitation.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack :p

Shanghied Again
08-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Congardulations, Now we have ti call you Barrel Racer, The best of luck she is beau :D tiful boat.