PDA

View Full Version : Need Technical Advice

Bama_Donzi
08-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, I guess this is a two part question. I am looking at a 1988 Donzi Minx Classic, 20' 350 MAG with trim tabs. What I need to know is, what do I look for when going through the boat. What kind of things am I going to look for for being wrong? I have not owned a Donzi before and any help or hints for checking this boat out would be appreciated. Also, the asking price on the boat is 15,000. So, is the boat worth the asking price and are there any known problems that this boat may have. Thanks for the advice.

Grip-it
08-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Look in the information section of the site on tips on buying a boat. Good Luck

BUIZILLA
08-28-2003, 02:11 PM
I am far from being an authority on anything, but I do own a Minx, as do other's herein. hard to justify a value comparison without knowing specific particulars.

J

Hotspare
09-01-2003, 11:05 AM
BAMA, The MINX is a great Boat, I owned one for three yrs, ran it hard, and never could tear it up .... I just kept her clean and dry when not in use .... Have a survey done, any hidden damage will be obvious to them,,,,, Stringer rot, and stuff like that ..... As far as the price goes now ,,,,,, The MINX was the second most expensive (production/custom) boat per ft. to build in 88 ..... Second only to the 20 ft Cig.... Condition will be key ..... 15K, sound's reasonable to me for a well mantained MINX wink The 350 MAG/ALFA COMBO Works really well too, should turn 21p to 5K at WOT ..... 60 plus wind warning !!!!!!!!!! Best of Luck .............. F/D ....

mphatc
09-01-2003, 06:10 PM
As it was written . . . MARINE SURVEY !!

This is the most impartial way of identifying the rights and wrongs with the boat. And when you're all done you should know everything about the boat that you can imagine. A good surveyor will also give you a fair value, and talking points to get the price you are willing to pay.

You might also consider value vs. insurability
I needed to do this on the Corsican after I purchased it, as the survey was the only way for me to insure the boat for it's fair market value, or more, whatever your case may be.

Good Luck!
mphatc