PDA

View Full Version : Timing

CDMA
07-13-2000, 10:40 PM
I know it is simple to many of you but I am finished with my restoration. All I have left to do before I start it is drop in the dist. and time the engine ( 350 w/ Mallory point dist) . I have a basic idea but am not sure how to time the engine once the distributor is in. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions. I have a timing light but do not know how to use it. Anyone have any tips or ideas?

The rest of the boat looks great. Not bad for the first mechanical restoration I have done. Other than R/C cars and other kid stuff I have never done anything like this. For someone with Krylon as their only painting experience the paint looks great, the engine comparment glassing and painting looks really nice, and the other stuff like the bilt-rite upolstry just looks out of this world. It has been 8 months, $8500, and way too much time out of my senior year but I am sure after that first ride it will all be worth it. There are some things left to do. The boat will be used this year without the black stripe, I still want to build a 383 for it but for now I would just be content with a nice month with it before I head off to college.

Thanks for all your help

Chris

RickSE
07-14-2000, 10:24 AM
Do you need to know how to set the inital timing or just how to use the timing light?

Timing light has three leads.
1)Hot wire, should be red goes to 12 Volt battery source. Hook it to hot wire on alternator.
2)Ground wire, black, goes to good engine ground.
3)Magnetic pickup wire clips onto #1 spark plug wire.

Disconnect vacuum advance if you have it and start the engine. Point the light at the timing marks and time the engine to the specified timing, usually 8-12 degrees before top dead center (advanced).

If you have degree marks on your balancer then turn the distributor til desired degree mark on the balancer lines up with mark on tab.

If you have degree marks on your tab then turn the distributor til mark on balancer line up with desired degree mark on the tab.

Also, if you have not primed your oil pump disconnect the coil lead and crank over the engine til you see your oil pressure gage move. Reconnect the coil lead and fire it up.

Forrest
07-14-2000, 10:32 AM
Go to you local hot rod shop and buy some MSD timing tape for your engine's harmonic balancer. Careful apply the correct length of timing tape for you size balancer aligning the zero-degree mark over the TDC mark on the balancer. Warning, if you are using an old, well-used harmonic balancer on your engine, there is always the possibility that the TDC mark may not really be TDC. The actual TDC can be determined by removing all the spark plugs and inserting a piston stop in the number one spark-plug hole. Then CAREFULLY rotate the engine over BY HAND (NOT using the starter) until the piston lightly touches the piston stop. Mark the balancer at this point and then rotate the engine in the opposite direction until the piston again touches the stop. Now, mark this position on the balancer and carefully measure the distance between the two marks. Actual TDC is exactly half way between these two marks. Mark the actual TDC position and use it to align the zero mark on the timing tape. Now that all of that is done, warm your engine up to operating temperature. Connect the timing light point it at the timing tab (or pointer) and briefly bring the RPM up to 300 to 4000 RPM or to the point where the advance is maximum as shown under the strobe on the timing tape. Record the maximum advance. Say that you want 34-degrees BTDC, and the current advance is 30-degrees BTDC, note were the zero mark on the timing tab (or pointer) aligns on the timing under the strobe at idle. Loosen the distributor hold down enough to rotate it slightly in the direction to add, in this case, 4 degrees to the current reading. In other words if at idle, you see that it reads 6-degree BTDC, bring it up to 10-degrees BTDC and then tighten the distributor hold down. Often time the distributor will move when you tighten it down, and for that reason, you will nee to recheck the timing again at idle. Once you are sure that the timing is still where intend it to be at idle, check it again at maximum advance. Again, in this case, if you see 34-degrees BTDC on the timing tape, you are done.

------------------
Forrest

RickR
07-14-2000, 12:59 PM
Chris
Do you know how to install your distributor?
RickR

CDMA
07-14-2000, 01:47 PM
Thanks. The distributor is in however I am not 100% sure it is right. I followed all the instructions I was given and I think it is right but than again...

I have to admit being a little confused by one aspect. I was told to set it up so that the rotor would be facing #1 after the spiral gears caught and the distributor lined up with the oil pump. I think I got all that but then I noticed if I just turned the cap before I tightened it down I could have the rotor point to any point I wanted. I am sure there is a reason that would be the incorrect way but it escapes me. Any thoughts?

Ok have a much better idea of what I need to do. I am waiting for the last bit of wiring to get done ( thanks to dad) then I am ready to crank it over. I am going away for the weekend so if not tonight early next week you should hear the results.

Chris

Jamesbon
07-14-2000, 02:34 PM
RickS, Forrest,
Good information!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have just reinforced the theories it took me years to learn on my own. A job well done.

Nathan
jamesbon@ij.net

Forrest
07-14-2000, 02:37 PM
Chris, I think that I got a little ahead of you. When you install distributor aligining the rotor with number one on the cap, just make sure that you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke when the balancer mark is aligned at number one TDC.

------------------
Forrest

CDMA
07-14-2000, 05:58 PM
Forrest,

I think I got that part ok but I am out of time. We will have to wait till next week, Thanks everyone.

Chris

RichF
07-14-2000, 08:02 PM
Chris:
Good luck with the boat.......Don't forget me if you need a passenger- I'd love to go for a run!!!

------------------
Rich mailto:fngrht@aol.comfngrht@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 07-14-2000).]