PDA

View Full Version : Imco, Gil, Corsa (choice exhaust)

Ranman
07-10-2000, 02:50 PM
Hello everybody, I am looking to add some "noise" to my new 18' (she has thru-prop currently) and was wondering if anyone has any opinions about "choice" exhausts from Gil, Corsa, Imco. Who makes the best setup? The conversion should be pretty easy as the wishbone, etc.. is already in place. I just need to know who to go with. Thanks for the information.

PaulO
07-10-2000, 03:59 PM
Just as a "heads up" I wanted to make sure you are aware of the problems I have had with exhaust clearance. If you are running a Merc Alpha setup like mine, be aware that there is very limited clearance between the starboard thru-transom and the power steering ram. There is little if any, leeway as to where to cut the holes and the rub rail makes moving the thru-transom to the proper height above the steering impossible. Three inch exhaust would probably solve the problem or, perhaps careful selection of the thru-transom exhaust tips. One with a smaller outside flange may offer more leeway.
Measure and select carefully.
PaulO

Forrest
07-10-2000, 05:38 PM
Good advice PaulO. Do a lot of measuring. The one that fits of those you mentioned is the best. I ended up using Gil manifolds and Rex Marine riser pipes for silent choice on my 383/TRS X-18. It turned out to be the lowest riser pipe for GIL manifolds made. Stainless Marine manifolds/risers fit a full inch or more lower than the other lowest offering from the others. I just happen to have the GIL manifolds.

------------------
Forrest

seano
07-10-2000, 07:16 PM
I don't know about the clearance aspect, bu CMI makes a really cool looking set of headers!

Paulo is defintely on the money---I did the same conversion but bought the 10" straight cut tips from IMCO and put the flange for the tips on the inside of my boat---you'll have to be real good with a hole saw and run a bead of silicone around the hole when they're screwed in place. (it really wasn't that simple, but I don't want to discourage you!)