PDA

View Full Version : New GPS

BigGrizzly
03-24-2002, 09:54 AM
I just got my new hand held GPS. It is by Lowrance and is called the ‘iFINDER’. This baby has it all. I got the iFINDER Plus unit. They have four types : the iFINDER, iFINDER plus, iFINDER Express, and iFINDER Atlantis. Most boat people would want the Atlantis because it is pre loaded with waterways etc. I was greedy and got the Plus because I can download anything and it comes with the download kit.
The replaceable chips are readily available MMC cards up to 128 MEG (no misprint). Mine came with the 16 MEG chip. I downloaded a hundred sq miles of the Atlanta area and still had room left. This is so detailed it has the new Wendy’s and other fast food places on it. The unit also has gas stations and other points of interest on it. It’s so detailed I actually hid many categories to customize it to my liking. You can find addresses, places, marinas, gas stations etc. it also has the normal stuff like speed distance altitude. It also has the WAAS ability installed and working. This is soooo neat I felt I needed to tell you guys about it. Check this baby out

David Ochs
03-24-2002, 10:07 AM
That's cool. It's amazing how fast this stuff comes along. I got a GPSMap76 less than a year ago, it only holds 8mg. You'll have a lot of fun with your new toy, the waas seems to work great.

ToonaFish
03-24-2002, 01:22 PM
You do realize that you'll never again be able to use the excuse that you 'got lost'? :p

Bunches,

Celene 'getting there eventually'

Tomahawk
03-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Waypoint #1 - Sarasota Hyatt. Waypoint #2- Gator's. wink :)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey Griz, great to hear from ya.
We love our new Garmin 176, WAAS is neat stuff. I like the real-time up to the minute tidal data...
A big help to us, because low water sucks.

Today was an AWESOME day on the bay.

Look forward to seeing you in KY Randy, I hope you and the family are well, we should talk soon.
Bryan

Stix Magill
03-25-2002, 03:30 PM
I would like a very basic GPS. If any of you guys are upgrading and would like to find a new home for your old unit, please let me know. I would pay a fair price for one! All I want is display for speed, and a limited amount of stored locations. Mapping is not required.
If you guys don't have a spare to sell, could you recommend a budget unit?

Thanks,

Scott

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Ya Griz that iFinder's(SAWEEET)!!!

Stix The Garmin GPS 12 avalible at Walmart it's about $100 will do what you ask. The Garmin GPSIII+ is only 200ish & what i have it's great for Maping, Waypoints, breadcrum trails, Speeds & much more.

But i hear the new E-Trex is even beter anyone done a comparison yet?

RickR
03-25-2002, 04:01 PM
The E-Trex is not user friendly, the buttons are on the side.

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 04:03 PM
ya i saw that.. Man that would get me all fired up in rough water!

BigGrizzly
03-25-2002, 08:40 PM
I went to the Pro Bass shop this weekend for some stuff and was discussing just that subject. He had just got his iFinders in and wasn't familiar with them. So he fired up some of his stock and we went outside and played. The only one that was really close and in some ways better (nice big screen)was the Garman 176. It is suppose to have the fastest processor; we found them in a dead heat. If one is faster you can't notice it except on start up. They both get the signal at the same time but the iFINDER is a little slower getting the first screen detailed by a second or two. However the Lowrance isn't color and doesn't cost $599 either. The 176 really isn’t a hand held either, but a great unit none the less.The other minor point is the Lowrance has the most recent map at least today, maybe not tomorrow.

Randy

Rootsy
03-25-2002, 08:50 PM
i have a garmin etrax and it is very basic (no map function or capability, etc)... 119 bucks at cabelas. true the buttons are on the side but that is for ease of use in the right hand. After a few days playing with it up north last fall it was like second nature. does everything i intended to use it for when i purchased it. Havn't used it in the boat cept to clock speed but i think it'll work just fine... helps to have a topo map if you are unfamiliar with the area you are in.

Sam
03-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Scott, I have had four Garmins all with no problems. I currently have the 225 which is the big color model and my old 145. I would go with another 145 for basic functions in a heart beat. They are small user friendly and won't break the bank. I keep it as a back up for the 225 and use it full time on the Donzi. I think they cost around 150.00 most any place.

Sam