PDA

View Full Version : Going to hear it for this one!

David Ochs
03-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Why is it that certain people make no effort to use proper spelling when posting? I thought my spelling was bad, but after reading many of the posts on this forum I'm feeling a lot better about myself. Sorry if anyone is offended by this. Now every post I ever make will be corrected for spelling and grammer!

BERTRAM BOY
03-24-2002, 07:39 AM
Uhhhh, that would be spelling and grammar, not grammer.........Well, at least you were right, you are going to be corrected!!!!! :D :D :D

BERTRAM BOY

Shanghied Again
03-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Geez! The first time he comes back since the days of old and he is like an old Nanny!! HeHe, David, How are you? Good to see you back around, We had some good posts from way back when. And by the way I love not being corrected when I am hanging with everyone. At work spell check is my best friend! If I let one thing fly with out checking? WOW! Boy to I cath H** from the big guys at the Top! :D

Sam
03-24-2002, 09:04 AM
I am in no position to be judgmental on this subject, I'm sure that I have let a few slip by. For me personaly spelling has always been a challange. For that reason I have my Franklin spell checker and my dictionary right here it only takes a second.
Frank: Dido on the office darts, it's amazing even with spell check how some things slip by. Nothing gets by the pathetic crew that I work with. Their like lions on a kill when it comes to spelling.

Life is short let's go boating

David Ochs
03-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Hey Frank, nice to hear from you, I've been around. Fighting a cold right now. This might explain my "Old Nanny" attitude. Thanks Bertram Boy for the humbling correction. Was that classic of me, can't let my wife see that one!

Rootsy
03-24-2002, 07:51 PM
spelling and grammar??? man am i ever in trouble... i'm just a dumb engineer, all i know are numbers and formulae wink ... differential equations anyone? i'm too lazy to worry bout letters and punctuation or sentence structure or double negatives, prepositions and all that maddening stuff, the shift key is my worst enemy too... ack! kill me now! i'm going to have nightmares!!! as long as i can decipher what people are saying through misplaced letters i am peachy keen eh...

so is ain't poor grammar? heh :p

Cuda
03-24-2002, 08:00 PM
Well, I wouldn't bring it up normally, but since apparently we are being graded, it the posts above I see "with out", which should be one word, and I think Sam meant "ditto" when he used "dido". :)

But my pet peeves are: People that look for "advise" instead of "advice" :mad: , and people who use "there" for "they're" and "their" :D

RPD
03-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Well, this has sure been an interesting thread so far... but since only those with IQ's above 150 are allowed to own, or even admire, Donzi's, I've always assumed the misspellings were typographic errors, "dyslexic fingers" if you will, rather than true misspellings on the part of the author...

PS: the plural of formula is formulae

Sam
03-24-2002, 08:12 PM
Cuda, "ditto" on your observations, gosh I hate when that happens.

Sam

Rootsy
03-24-2002, 08:35 PM
C!!! Toldja i wuz just an Ingenear wink and my pet peeve in life is people who cannot use correct tenses. such as the difference between seen and saw... and them and those... especially when coming from "managers and supervisors" eek!

Sam
03-24-2002, 08:41 PM
So James, what connection do you have to the U.P.

Sam

Last Tango
03-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Harbormaster! HELP! Do we REALLY need this thread on our discussion board? Hey, all youse guys. I have a Masters Degree in English. I couldn't care less how my fellow boaters spell on this site. Communication is the root of this great tree. If you understood the comment or question, then the communication was successful. Sure beats the heck out of trying to listen to a message on a cellphone when you aren't smack dab center in a major metropolitan area (actually, most cellphone messages suck then, too).
Mark :cool:

HP 600SC
03-24-2002, 08:57 PM
Gee's this crowd get's tupher and tupher to hang
with! Maybe we can get anothur catagory for us
dummies! :p

Rootsy
03-24-2002, 08:59 PM
i'm an adopted Yooper... i spent the 3 best years of my life there... and a lotta summers before that... onna these days i'm A) just gonna go nuts and move or B) go nuts and go to graduate school... ahhh the peace and quiet... endless miles of blue water... now if they'd just find a way to get rid of those pesky black flies.... :confused:

mattyboy
03-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Perhaps,
In our next formal congregation we may peruse both the Webster's dictionary and thesaurus? So in the future we might use the correct particple past or present? Or the other alternative that I prefer to use is the bang the hell out of the keyboard and what comnes up on the screen ids the final version!
sorry for the abuse on the language guys, no offense intended

Matt

Forrest
03-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Man, you guys are tuff!!! eek!

I think from now on, I'll get Big Grizz to proof read anything that I write prior to posting!

Ranman
03-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Forrest, ROFLMFAO.

Secret F233
03-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Awe man I just got back on the board to... let me just apologize now!!! :p

Blewbyu
03-25-2002, 06:19 PM
Mark-Yup! We do need this thread.Glad someone brought it up.I don't have a Masters in ANYTHING,but I can spell.I do appreciate those that can't,and take the time to correct their work before "publishing".
The "challange" (as Sam put it)is not to get your panties bunched too much.
How about "your" vs. "you're","whent" vs. "went",etc.........don't those ever jerk your socks down???The list IS endless.
I need a "boat soda"......... :p

Blewbyu
03-25-2002, 06:28 PM
I know, I know....i'm going into "the battle of wits" half armed! :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-25-2002, 07:01 PM
eye new this fread wold grow....
I sure am glad I can spell my degree...
MBA (meye bad a$$) Donzi!
LOL

AND GRIZ IS THE MAN.... phorrestt!
and you still owe me a bow line... kidding of course....
vzit uss sooon.
Bryan

Kevan Donzi Ski Sporter16
03-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Ok, I haven't posted much lately, and now I guess that's a good thing! I don't have a masters degree, but I do have a mother who taught 7th and 8th grade english for 35 years. I learned diagraming sentences, verbs, adverbs, subjects, and predicates. Frankly, I don't care if people make mistakes as long as their thoughts are coherant and legible. Oh yes, and the information is CORRECT! Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true! Well, off to dangle some participles...
--Kevan

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-25-2002, 07:18 PM
Kevan, great post and I checked the grammer hard... good job and your mother would be proud.
(all in fun)
Bryan